Lip stain application is tricky

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have tips or tuts on lip stain application? I haven't seen any on this forum, and about.com doesn't even have a section on lip stains. This surprises me because lip stains were big this season.

I've used lip stains before, and they didn't really appeal to me. I applied them like I would a lipgloss, but was more careful not to go outside my lipline. The color seemed to concentrate in the middle of my lips, so it was pretty uneven, and also drying. Then again, maybe I wasn't applying it correctly, so I may need a tutorial too!

The color didnt seem very drying on me (i use urban decay) but it also seemed to concentrate on the skin that needed exfoliation on my lips. I'm thinking the lips need to be freshly exfoliated before application.

definitely exfoliate! i can't stand when people have lipstick/stains on their lips and their lips aren't! annoys me lol

lol...

I love my lipstain, (I forgot about it until you mentioned it hehe), just apply it like you do with a lipgloss, and add more coats until your satisfied, then use a piece of tissue or cotton bud to wipe from the outside of the lip line towards the lip, but only to the sides, this would get rid of excess lipstain that rims the edges of the mouth

Exfoliate that is for sure the #1 thing that will help. I recommend that you use Benefit's Pocketpal.

I don't really wear it anymore but when I did. I would apply it in layers. First Layer: from the center out Second Layer' from the edges in. I don't use a lot just a touch

I did exfoliate (not immediately before I used it, but I do exfoliate my lips each morning), and the lipstain still looked funky. Maybe it was the shade I used, I don't know, but I guess lip stains just aren't for me.

I think i might submit a lip stain tut once i get a new camera. i think i will have it down soon with all your tips. thanks everyone.

does anyone have tips about getting an even stain? my top lip is more pigmented than the bottom so my bottom lip has a way more vibrant color.

I would always apply a little bit of chapstick and let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it off. It made it go on more smoother for me.

On me, lip stains look best when my lips are smooth and moisturized. I can't wear them now, because my lips are gross and crusty because of the weather. But drink tons of water, exfoliate lips with something like a soft toothbrush, and make sure to lube up at every opportunity to get your pucker into optimal lip stain-friendly shape. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back