Gym Membership: How much do you pay?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends... I've seen them as low as $20 a month for students, to as much as $100+ for families. The YMCA generally has decent prices as well. You might want to visit local gyms to compare them since most won't give prices over the phone. If possible, find one that offers at least 3 free training sessions.

Agree w/Aquilah about checking the prices in your town. Also ask them about what kind of discounts they have. Most gyms usually offer trials , so ask about that too.

For me , I go to Gold's Gym.

Gold's usually cost me $45 , but since I'm a student and I have a year - long membership. .. it cost $30 a month. My friend onli pays $20 cuz he owns a country club and the owner of Gold's goes to the club

Also check out the different registration fees, as they can be expensive. Mine was over $100 up front.

hth

Definitely check on registration and sign-up fees! My aunt pays $40 a month for her membership, but paid like $600 in registration fees for so many years as a member!

I used to pay about $30 at 24 Hour Fitness. I just found out I can have a free membership at some gyms in my town (my job pays for it) but I have to be consistent for at least 3 times a week, ew, lol. I prefer to exercise at home :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I pay about $20 p/month, but that's hard to come by in a big city. It all depends where you live. Some places in larger cities charge upwards of $100 p/month. I'd check around.

Wow, gym is quite cheap in USA. Here i pay 98 reais per month (the same feeling as paying 98 dollars for something, even thougn 98 reais is only around 45 dollars.)

I have two. one is free through school, and one i have had since i was 3, and its a corperate rate...so I really dont know. Cant help ya there.

No kidding! I'm planning to go to Curitiba sometime and I just can't believe the cost of living there!

Definitely NOT the case in NYC. I used to go to New York Health and Racquet Club (supposedly a high end gym) because I receive a discount through my job - but I still paid $73 a month (it is actually $99 if you paid full price). I decided to join New York Sports Club because they opened one down the block from my house and I still pay $72/mth BUT had to shell over the initial fee of $80 my first month so technically I pay slighly more just to go to a worse gym closer to my house. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would love to pay less but honestly it would not be conducive to my lifestyle. I switched to NYSC because it is more convenient and right near me - I can go as late as midnight and as early as 5am - so it fits my hours better. It really doesn't make sense for me to pay $30 for the Lucille Roberts near me because they are always packed to the point where I can never get a machine, they don't offer towels OR have water fountains (forcing you to buy their water bottles) and they close at 8pm and open at 9am!! And they open for like 3 hours on weekends. So you should consider factors that matter to you and then choose rather than just on price. I go to NYSC 4x a week - so I feel my money ends up being less by the amount I use it compared to other gyms.

great point! I forgot to take into account the different hours and what different gyms offer :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i totally agree i live in NYC and i havent gone to Lucille in a year because its always packed and i hate it. I cant afford to go to NYSC or whatever else so im just sticking to walking and if i really want to go to the gym ill use my schools gym because thats what the damn activity fee is for anyway.

Dh & I just joined a 3 yr old YMCA facility and it is $72 a month for he and I and we paid the extra $$ to be able to go to any YMCA in the Houston Area. I think if we stayed at our home location only it would be around $65.

about 5 years ago at Worlds Gym in MASS. i worked there and the prices were different based on your payment method, electronic auto payment was like $40, cash was like 1yr upfront for like $300. however now in my hometown there is a lil gym that opened up and they charge $99 for 1yr and $3 for tanning.... omg such a good deal!

I pay $70 for a big gym, Rochester Athletic Club. If I went to Mayo's gym, it would be only $10 a month or even less I think. Now they are building a huge super nice new gym at Mayo, so I may join that one in the future if I am still here when it opens.

Back