Mineral Makeup EXPIRES

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realize this might sound stupid, but I was really surprised to see that MMu actually expires. I figured with the ingredients it has, it wouldn't. Can anyone explain to me why it expires??

I'm really disappointed because I realized I may not even finish my foundation before it expires, and I have a lot left.

My bare minerals foundation has an expiration date right on the container. Check yours.

I didn't think mineral make-up expires. Everyday minerals says her mmu never expires but she reccommends buying a new one after a year, so maybe BE's date is more of a freshness guarantee.

It probably doesn't actually expire if you keep it properly (dry, cool, out of direct sunlight).

Makeup is required by law to have an "expires after opening" date on it. It looks like an open container with a number in it. The number is the number of months after opening that it "expires". To be hones, the only thing I ever pay attention to that number for is mascara.

I read that BE was "forced" by the FDA to place an expiration date on their jars because it contains spf. I don't know how it would connect with that when the titanium dioxide that contains the spf is actually an inert mineral that doesn't expire. Other than that, I do believe that mineral cosmetics technically don't have an expiration. I was told on the Monave board that the lipglazes and foundation don't expire. The foundation is made up of inorganic, inert materials that cannot harbor bacteria except if you introduce water to it. So as long as your makeup is kept away from moisture, and no foreign matter is introduced into it, I believe it will not expire.

It was several months into MMU that I found other companies on the web that sold smaller (sample) jars of eyeshadow, eyeliner, etc. I use BE Cashmere every single day. I will have this one jar for at least another decade. I'm fair skinned, so a little goes a long way. Since I don't use the other BE colors everyday, they will probably last me TWO decades. I won't have a problem with my foundation. Now the Bisque, I bet it takes me at least 2 years to use that up. Hopefully, no eye infections from the minerals as they get older.

Thanks for clarifying this...I didn't think it expired either. It's really weird that the SPF factor would force BE to have any expiration date on it though.

IMO I think the info might be a little biased from that site. Just MO.

Like others said, it doesn't expire but I think it's always good to replace products after a year or two.

Latest posts

Back