How to match colors with skin tones.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im not really sure on it, is there a tut or website anyone knows of. My friends want me to do their mu with my mac and ulta stuff, but I dont want to look off or something by not using the right colors.

the way i help find the right shade for clients are by striping it down from their jawline to their necks and take them outside in natural light. as far as not bringing them along to find one, you could guess, but that's all.

good advice, jen! if you're using your shades on others there could be color adjustments that you need to make. the best test is the jawline imho.

Took this off of Paula Begoun's site:

Choosing Makeup Colors to Work with Your Skin Tone

Dark brown hair and fair to medium skin tones like Demi Moore, Sandra Bullock, and Penelope Cruz wear more vivid shades of rose and cherry.

Brunettes with fair to medium skin tones like Julia Roberts and Jennifer Garner are often seen in light rose and soft red shades.

Redheads with fair to medium skin tones like Susan Sarandon and Julianne Moore tend to wear corals, salmon, browns, ambers, bronze, and other earth tones.

Blondes with fair skin to medium skin tones like Gwyneth Paltrow, Paris Hilton, and Kirsten Dunst favor a range of pink shades.

Black hair and deeper skin tones such as Halle Berry and Angela Bassett wear soft natural tones such as nude pinks, soft browns, and pale corals.

I want to find something that shows if you wear this color in this makeup brand then use this color in this brand. For example I am using MAC NC 25, and I want to try Everyday Minerals, but I am having a really hard time finding the wrong color. Just gotta keep trying though!!

what about black hair with fair to medium skin tones? i hate it when she doesn't have more varieties.

I always like soft colors with black hair & light skin. But thats just me im not sure if it looks right or not

Back