Help: Facial Cream for Men

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a bit new here, and was looking to get some info on what you guys would recommend for a facial cream for men.

I live in South Florida, so I've always been buying the stuff that has the built-in SPF sunscreen.

If you look at my external profile on myspace, you can take a look a what I look like (face type...or whatever if that helps).

www.myspace.com/orangebowl9

If you could point me to an already existing thread on this topic or list some brands/options and where I can best purchase them.

I'm looking for something, in general, that I can apply once or twice a day, non-greasy, built-in SPF (if possible), and helps with facial wrinkles and evening out of skin tone. Thanks!!!!!

I use DDF-Doctor's Dermatologic Formula Moisturizing Photo-Age Sunscreen SPF 30, and I think it's fantastic. It's not at all greasy and gives your face a smooth, matte finish, and controls oil for a very long time. As far as anti-aging goes, it has Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Coenzyme-Q10, Grapeseed extract, and N-acetyl-cystine. I haven't seen many sunscreens with a matte finish, SPF 30, and all those anti-aging ingredients for the price, so I love it. There are of course more aggressive wrinkle-fighting moisturizers with SPF, but most of them are SPF 15 and are MUCH more expensive. I definately recommend this one =).

Thanks Fever.

That looks pretty good. I'm not too sure I need a full blown 30 on my face, I use only 15 for everything else, including my face.

What options are there for the SPF-15? Thanks!

-Derek

Here are a couple others I'm looking at for daytime wear. This one is pricier, but it's very good - Juice Beauty Green Apple Moisturizer SPF 15. It's organic and PACKED with antioxidants, AHAs, and lots of other goodies like vitamin A, C, E, B5, coenzyme q10, alpha lipoic acid, peptides (which stimulate dermal fibroblasts to rebuild collagen and elastin fibers), DMAE, and hyaluronic acid (which holds more than 1000 times it's own weight in water, and is thus very good for your skin retaining moisture and plumping fine lines). Gosh I love Juice Beauty, they have so many amazing products. A slightly less expensive option from them (but in an SPF 30) is Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sheer Moisturizer, which has most of the goodies the green apple moisturizer has.

I don't know much about the brand, and it doesn't give an ingredient list, but their brand website would probably give a more detailed description: BORBA Fiber-Knit Emulsion SPF 15 - Age Defying - Acai. From this product description, it looks pretty good though.

I love the Murad brand, and have been meaning to try this one: Murad Hydrating Sunscreen SPF 15. It has rice amino acids, lecithin, vitamin E, antioxidants, and sodium hyaluronate.

I also like Peter Thomas Roth products, and this is their SPF 15 offering: Peter Thomas Roth Ultra-Lite Oil-Free Sunscreen Mist SPF 15. There's actually no ingredient list here, but I have their SPF 30 ultra-lite moisturizer and the ingredients are similar to the DDF one I initially mentioned, so I imagine this one would be equally good. Also, it's very inexpensive compared to the others.

That's all I have for now in the SPF 15 category, I hope that helped! You mentioned you wanted something with anti-aging, wrinkle-fighting, skin tone evening properties. How I see my skincare regimen is that the majority of that stuff should happen at night, so you can use more aggressive products. If you used a product with, say, a decent concentration of glycolic acid at night, that would do wonders to even out your skin tone so that you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with that in your facial moisturizer. The aggressive ingredients also make your skin more sun-sensitive, so it's not a good idea to use them during the day. I mostly stick to a high SPF coupled with anti-oxidants to prevent damage, and let nighttime products fix anything that needs fixing. Geez I have no idea how much I typed at this point...probably a novel. But it's 1:45 am and I have nothing else to do. Hope I didn't put you to sleep! =)

I upersonally use and recomend Mary Kay TimeWise Age Fighting Moisturizer Sunscreen SPF 15. It helps reduce the visible signs of aging. Protects your face from UVA and UVB rays. It is an oil-free lotion that absorbs quickly for supple skin. It's clinically proven to hydrate for up to 10 hours, contains our patented TimeWise complex and helps even out skin tone, firm and soften as it reduces the appearance of fine line.

I have a large male client base and they all use this.

Wow Fever....thanks for the info. You rock! :rockwoot:

After reading the description of the one product I'm interested in, it says that I can't use it around my eyes. Is there another type of cream I need for the eye area? Also, what is a good night-time cream? Obviously I would be using the SPF product during the day. Thanks!

Ohh forgot to respond about the Mary Kay product that was brought up by Jean.

How does that daytime product compare to the ones mentioned at Sephora? I don't want this to turn into a "my product is better than yours!!!"... HAHA.

Thanks!

I'm probably wrong in doing this, but even if a product says not to apply it near the eyes, I still do, and never have any problems. They probably said that because of the small amount of AHAs, but I personally don't worry about it and just slather the sunscreen everywhere.

Regarding a separate product for the eyes, I think this is the cadillac of eye creams: DDF-Doctor's Dermatologic Formula Protective Eye Cream SPF Plus with CoQ1. It has antioxidants, vitamin K to diminish dark circles, coffee extract to decrease puffiness, vitamin A and E, and a slew of other stuff. It's expensive though - .5 oz for $46. Clarins Sun Wrinkle Control Eye Contour Care SPF 30 is less expensive, .7 oz for $24.50, but eye creams with a decent concentration of anti-aging ingredients are usually pretty pricey. I would just say not to worry about it if you don't want to incur the extra cost, and to carefully apply your regular sunscreen around the eye area, obviously being careful not to get it very close to the lash lines.

As for night creams, I could write pages about what I look for in them and why I like the ones that I do. For now I'll just copy and paste the list of the ones I'm currently looking into (I haven't tried these, but to me they're among the best).

Kinerase Lotion

Astara Antioxidant Light Moisturizer

DDF Glycolic 10% Exfoliating Moisturizer

DDF Retinol Energizing Moisturizer

Juice Beauty Green Apple Antioxidant Moisturizer

Murad Cellular Replenishing Serum

Murad Night Reform Treatment

Ole Henriksen Express the Truth

Ole Henriksen Pure Perfection

MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Lotion

Dr. Brandt R3P Cream

Perricone Vitamin C Ester Concentrated Restorative Cream

Caudalie Night Infusion Cream

To really kick up a nighttime anti-aging regimen, you could add a serum underneath your moisturizer. These are the ones I'm looking into right now.

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum

Kinerase C6 Peptide Intensive Treatment

Caudalie Lifting Serum

Perricone Alpha Lipoic Acid Face Firming Activator

Murad Essential-C Daily Renewal Complex

Perricone Vitamin C Ester Amine Complex Face Lift

DDF Dramatic Radiance TRF Cream

Boscia Antioxidant Recovery Treatment C

Dr. Brandt “C†Gel

Perricone Olive Oil Polyphenols Nutrient Face Fortifier

Ole Henriksen Re-Start Anti-Aging Serum

Juice Beauty Green Apple Antioxidant Serum

Dr. Brandt Skincare Lineless Anti-Glycation Serum

MD Skincare Antioxidant Firming Face Serum

Boscia Restorative Amino-3P Firming Treatment

Peter Thomas Roth Glycolic Acid 10% Clarifying Gel

Peter Thomas Roth AHA 12% Hydrating Ceramide Repair Gel

I also just realized that I've neglected to mention any drugstore products, many of which are probably perfectly fine. The reason for that is because the ones that I've used were always pretty greasy and never kept my face matte like they promised, and they didn't have the anti-aging ingredients I wanted. This was especially important if I was going to be outside sweating and with the sun reflecting off every bit of oil on my face. I haven't tried them all obviously, and someone else would be in a better position to recommend one. I hear that Neutrogena is one of the better brands for sunscreen.

If you would like any more information, don't hesitate to ask!

Latest posts

Back