*PICS* hair dye help please! Don't want to ruin my hair more! :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to always dye my hair blonde, and about a year ago i started dyeing my hair dark, redish brown , deep auburn etc now i want to dye my hair blonde again, I bought L'oreal preference in golden blonde as you can see, and after i left it in for about an hour, made it light as i could and i ended up with a lighter brown, auburnish and I wanted blonde like that, So im wondering what do I do, Dye it blonde again and hope that my hair is light enough this time so it will work, and will my hair always have a redish tint to it because I sed to dye it brown/redish ? Or should I give up and dye it dark again, I really would want to go blonde again like that but I dunno waht to do, I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, thanks! also the picture of me in my icon, that was my hair before i used that blonde dye, and now below, thats what my hair looks like..

Below is a pic of the loreal colors and the one i want is golden blonde, and the pic below is of what my hair looks like now :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
blond9uk.jpg

Picture18.jpg

sorry about the light being so bright, just wanted to get the real color of my hair, im not really THAT pale hehe soooo can anyone help me, give me ideas? I dont want to spend tons of money at a salon, reply soon, thanks ~susie

i think you are gonna have to have it done professionally or bleach it.

you dont wanna turn your hair orange.

Yeah, I would say that if you want to go that much lighter, that you should just go in and get it professionally done.

it would cost me too much money to go to a salon and get it professionally done though :S

In the long run it would be cheaper though, because you could very well turn your hair orange, and when you dyed it from that dark of a color, it didn't sound like you used any bleach, so it wouldn't have turned your hair the color of the blonde on that box. And you left it in for an hour which you should only leave it in half that time, so you may have done some damage already. I would just go to a professional. I think some places are fairly reasonable, just call around!

I love Revlon Frost N' Glow Highlighting Kit. Works awesome and results are better than any salon I've ever been to. Be careful with it and monitor it while your bleaching and everything will be fine!

You definitely need to go to the salon. Bleaching is more than likely going to be involved, and that's not something you want to think about messing up at home! I recommend making an appt. for a consultation first to see just how light you can get it. If you see pics of the color you'd like to have, be sure to take them with you as well.

Well, if you ARE going to do it yourself...I'd recommend getting one of the "Ash" blondes. I naturally have strawberry blonde hair and when I dye my hair lighter, I use the ash blonde colors to neutralize any brassiness. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As the other girls mentioned, getting professionally done is always the best option, though.

hth. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have had many home hair dye mishaps! Red is always the hardest to get out of your hair. The hairstylist told me last time that it tends to "stain" your hair.

I did the exact same thing to my hair. About 2 years ago I dyed it dark auburn from a light blonde color, and then I wanted it blonde again. So I tried to lighten it myself with not much luck (it turned a reddish lt. brown). Finally I went to regis where they fixed it, but they have to do so much processing to lift the color (b/c reddish tones are the most difficult to get out it seems) that you may get better results by scheduling it as a multi-step process...get it lightened a shade and then come back a couple weeks later to lighten it more. Wish I had done it that way instead of all at once b/c my hair was FRIED afterwards.

You're not going to get it the color you want without bleach. And you're still going to need a professional touch to get it the shade you want. Do it yourself boxes are really for lightening your hair by a shade or two at the most.

i agree with everyone else.... i didnt want to spend the money yada yada yada, and guess what im naturally dark dirty blonde, and i wanted PLATINUM BLONDE, well i bought an at home bleach kit actually 2 of them and bleached my head for the time it said and it lifted to orange , at that point i was completely mortified, because im not talking red orange , im talking NEON ORANGE because of the horrible brassiness you get from home bleaching. well to make a long sotry short i thought i could save my hair myself and money, so i continued to bleach for another 2 weeks waiting 1 week in between each job , well not only did i almost ruin every inch of hair, my hair would not get passed the orange , so i bought some black dye and have been dying it that ever since.

if you are going to anything yourself , let it be going back to the dark. if you want to keep your long hair and save yourself ooo about a couple of hundred dollars then just suck it up and go to the salon, trust me ! just go !

i think im going to make it darker, it now is light, blondish at roots, and going down goes from light brown to darker with redish and I think it looks so bad, some say its nice , but i just want it one normal color :S this is so stressful i did want blonde, wanted to try something different and now i wish i just stuck with my original plan going golden brown, but yea I will dye it darker but will the roots always be lighter than the rest of my head because of this? I just want a normal color :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have work tomrrow and I have to work with the public I dont want to look like an idiot :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Should I leave it for a while or dye it darker like a brown

i actually had the opposite happen to me i used to love to dye my hair different shades of red and i went to a high priced salon and they only made it worse my hair came out really brassy almost like a really bright copper color a week later i had my mom dyed it at home and it came out fine ive had my hair almost every color red,blonde ,black,brown and ive never really had a problem getting the red out at home the only problem ive had getting out is black but if your really worried they have this new color fading kit that helps take it out i dont think its a bleach but im not too sure didnt look at it try there site(haircolor site ) i believe they have like a expert color selector that can help you decide on which to choose i know most of them do

ahh well i looked at it later on it doesnt look so bad i had my brother and his gf see it and shes bad at lying, and she said it did look nice, like a strawberry blonde, and u dont even notice it light at the top. soo yea ill keep it like this for now, but i think im done trying to go for blonde, next time ill dye it golden brown i think hehe orrrr go crazy spend the money to get it professionally done, when u guys did that how much did it cost you?

go to the salon if you want your hair light, it's hard to accomplish a really light color at home.

I've been doing my own for years. I've never let someone even touch it with dye or bleach, only me, lol so it's hard for me to say what to expect for cost. Just be sure you choose someone who knows what they are doing. Get a recommendation if possible!!!!!! Even pros can screw it up!

I'd be careful about doing too many chemical processes too close together. One time, I played around with different hair colors until my hair was totally fried. I had to deep condition almost every day for months to get my hair back in shape.

My hair was naturally a medium brown by the time I was in high school. I was naturally blonde until I was seven or eight and I wanted that color again. I finally settled on Clairol Sun Brown Blonde as a base color. It's a reddish dark blonde. Then, I put in lots of highlights. I use a cap to put in the highlights. I use every hole in the cap. I have to leave the highlight mixture on my hair for a very long time before rinsing it out -- like an hour and a half. If I rinse it off sooner, the highlights look red instead of blonde. After rinsing off the highlight stuff while my cap is still on, I take either hot oil or a deep conditioner and apply it to the hair that I just highlighted. Then, I take the cap off and brush the oil/conditioner through my hair, wait 10 or 15 minutes and shampoo it out.

from what i see your hair looks nice

and you're lucky the hair color didn't turn out to be a disaster or worse yet...make your hair break off

leave it in for a while until you see a proffessional

'cause doing it over AGAIN may just damage it or worse...look like an orange blob

Latest posts

Back