Should we judge people by their clothes?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, first off I didn't have a clue where i should put this thread. So feel free to move it.

In my Langauge Arts class, I have to write an essay if people should judge other people by clothes, or not.

Or course my automatic thought was no, because you should go by there personailties (i know i spelt it wrong!). But judging somebody doesn't always have to be negative.. now does it?

I mean you if you saw somebody in bright, neon, colorful colors.. you'd think they'd probably a pretty outgoing "colorful" person? right. Thats not a bad judgement... But you could also say a person wearing all black is a 'gothic' kid, or 'emo' kid.

Okay, I really want your opinion on this, I already have the start of my essay, but say you had to write one too, and you had to choice YES or NO, there is no inbetween & why do you think so?

But keep in mind say you were in a car accident needed help.. would you rather have somebody with a long beard, black jacket, and looked pretty scary or would you like to have nurses, doctors, or the people who work in an emergency truck coming twords you?

thanks! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hmm, i would say nobody should judge people by how they dress, you never know what is inside their minds or hearts.

Some people dress so nicely and elegant and whatever else, they look wonderful on the outside, but on the inside they can be really evil, it's like saying that all beautiful girls are angels and they all behave like it, not true.

I have seen some really bad dressed people that have the biggest hearts i could ever imagine, but i have also seen them dressing really bad and being bad people, you can never really judge, appearances can be totally deceiving.

That is my opinion. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I always judge ppl wrong when i judge by clothes. For example some ppl dress like they have no money when in reality they just spend their money elsewhere and could care less about clothes. ...

I say, never judge any1 from outer appearance.

no i dont think we should judge people by what they wear or how they look.

and if i was in a car accident i would welcome help from anyone, doctors and nurses arent perfect either some of them really screw up(but thats another topic) so no i dont judge a book by it's cover.. good luck on your paper

The answer for me would be no. Everyone has different personalities and shouldnt be judged on there clothes. Clothes are just that, clothes. Mostly everyone gets judged wrong either way.

I would also say no, do not judge people by their clothes. Clothes are just material things, it's what inside that really counts (personality).

We shouldn't judge people by their clothes because we know nothing about them. But we do, it's how we're trained from a very early age. We're told that nicer clothes=better. We all know now that it doesn't matter but it's automatic.

No. But of course, you are entitled to your first impressions. I like to wait for them to open their mouth and see what I hear and go from there.

I am also going to answer No because no one can get an accurate description of who someone is by the clothes they wear. I even find it concerning if people like myself like to dress differently depending on certain days - which personality fits then? Makes me wonder what the perception of someone I meet on Thursday evening would think of me when they see me Sunday morning.

But since we are raised to have stereotypes (unintentional or not) we cant help but judge... but if we dont let our first impressions stop us from getting to know a person more, then I think everyone is golden.

It's hard not to judge a person by their clothes, or by their appearance in general, as it's the first thing about them we see. Furthermore, we need stereotypes and schemas to organize the thousands of images and people we see on a daily basis, otherwise we would approach each person and situation as if we were seeing something like it for the first time. These preconceived notions aren't necessarily a bad thing - they tell us to react differently depending on if we see an old man in a business suit, a teenager with colored hair and baggy skater clothes, a guy dressed all in black with sunglasses and a scar down the side of his face, a blonde Gap-clad pregnant woman, etc. You get the idea. Of course, these are only to help us have a general understanding of groups of people, not individuals. We can't help but see someones clothes and make snap judgements based on what we know about similarly dressed people we've encountered before, but once they open their mouth and start talking, their individuality comes through and we make new judgements based on that. I'm sure we've all thought things about people based on their clothes that then turned out to be false once we got to know them, but we've also made assumptions that turned out to be totally true.

I forget if I meant to make a point here, lol. In short, to some degree we'll always judge people based on their appearance, but only initially. Regardless of what someone wears, they should always be treated with courtesy and respect, which has nothing to do with judgements, but just basic human decency. The end, I think. =)

I will have to say no, not all people use their clothes as a self expression. When I am at work (at the hospital) I have to wear scrubs.. some times after work I have stuff to do and I go to the store etc with my scrubs on. It's not a fashion statement and I am much more than the "scrubs look" lol. Some people are required to wear something, so it's definitely not a reliable source to judge some one.

Thanks for your opinions guys.

its a major difference from middle school, about 90% percent of my class thinks we should be.

Nope, not at all! I had a boyfriend who was as preppy as they come... My mom HATED him! I had a boyfriend after him who wore black clothes, listened to NIN and wore a spiked dog collar. My mom LOVED him! Why? Difference in personalities and manners. My mom much preferred Jeffrey over Phillip... Jeff was more of a gentleman too!

I say NO, but that's because you can never be sure that someone is trying to make a statement about their self-identity by what they are wearing.

I do tend to make perceptions about people rather than judgments. I don't judge people based on their clothing, but I perceive their personality by the manner in which they carry themselves, talk, and act. I will talk to a brick wall, so I don't have any certain types of people that I avoid, but I am very friendly by nature and my effort of perception really helps with that. Usually, I am right on the money. It has taken me far in my 31 years!

I'm gonna say a gigantic no, I'm judged all the time by the clothes I wear, and they get physical about it sometimes... be able to run in heels comes in handy.

Latest posts

Back