Dry hair fixes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so i ran out of my usual shampoo and conditioner that i get from my hairdressers, so i used my partners anti dandruff shamp/condt as that is all that was there! OMG my hair is like STRAW! and my scalp is sooooo itchy!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> is there anything that can fix this? iof course i am going back to my normal one this week but i feel as though it too dry? it feels horrible. any fixes for dry hair? thanks in advance

Nic

Maybe try olive oil on your hair for 30 mins then wash out with a shampoo... it is suppose to help heal your scalp and make hair really soft and silky. I'm going to try it out tommorow night :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> x

Oh thanks i will try that tonight, i think i would try just about anything at the moment! ha ha :rotfl:

All deep in conditioners work better if you use them heated, for example with a heat cap; or you heat them up (when on hair) with a dryer. When heated they penetrate into the hair better.

I'd use a clear henna packet... it will condition and help bring out shine.

Ditto Luna

Henna n placenta has great stuff for dry hair. The Ion line also has good wonderful products!

Solely olive oil can be a bit hard to wash out, and you will end up washing it with shampoo too many times to finally get it out and then you're back at where you started...

Try making a mix of Avocado, Banana an egg and some olive oil, just mix it all together and put that all in your hair, keep it up with a towel or some celophane and rinse it out after an hour. This should condition it really good without over-greasing.

This advice is gold !! All this stuff is awesome for your hair and mixing them together means you wont get too much of one thing and over do things.

Too much olive oil, and nothin but olive oil, will actually clog your hair and such itll leave things worse I believe. Besides it dont smell too great all over your head.

Hope your hair is better soon! I realy second tryin what Babette said.

All great advice! And I can say they all work, for I've tried I think every thing mentioned here so far. (LOVE Henna and Placenta! LOVE Henna, period!)

I've also used mayonnaise in a conditioning pinch (it contains both the egg yokes and oil, which as others have mentioned are great at home remedies...) I usually wrap my hair with a few good long pulls of tin foil too when I deep condition my hair, and then a towel maybe that's been in the dryer for a bit to warm it up nice? Seems to hold the heat in well. I've also held a blow drier to my foil wrapped tresses before too for the same heating purposes...

I used to have a roommate that regularly conditoned her hair before going to bed with either mayo or olive oil and she'd just wrap it up and let it penitrate all night, then just wash it out in the morning... She never had a problem with it being too greasy feeling, and in fact she had beautiful hair... (too bad she was a pain in the ass though and I had to kick her out... She used to "steal" and use all my beauty products - uh, like the mayo and olive oil and my shampoo among other things!)

I also read online recently of various different models who keep olive oil in their hair for DAYS on end before a shoot to keep it looking so nice apparently..........

Good luck!

My hair used to be really dry and brittle until I bought this amazing conditioning mask.

It's B&b Deeeeeep Treatment. Put it on, leave it for a couple minutes, rinse off and your hair will be amazingly soft. Definitively worth it!

(Plus it's easy to rinse out unlike most oily treatments)

Thanks everyone your great advice! i tried the olive oil, except i ran out of olive oil and had to add grapeseed oil! LMAO heated it up and put it in my hair for about hhmm....an hour and a half. washed it out with shampoo and then conditioned. it feels SOOOO much better. long way to go though i think i may have to try the banana,avo thing.

p.s. *desertdiva* henna and placenta? is that made of placenta? sorry to be so daft i have actually seen the little sachets in priceline over here but never dared to go there just incase....lol

Funny you should mention that... I was actually thinking about the "placenta part" last night as I soaked in the tub. I used Husk's Henna N Placenta hair conditioner pacs almost exclusively at least 10 - 15 years ago or so it seems, because of the fabulous results it provided for my hair, plus it was quite inexpensive. (Still is) I never had a problem with the fact that it contained animal placenta (as so mentioned even on the list of ingredients) Perhaps because I have leaned more towards a vegetarian lifestyle over the years is the reason why I stopped using it.... Just my own animal/ethical issues I guess... (Good Lord! Is this like off topic?? sorry....)

Anyway....Yes ick factor aside, placenta is what you are thinking it is: embryonic afterbirth, simply put. I did a little Internet research just now for more info on the benefits of placenta and found it's protein based properties are thought to strengthen the hair cells, thereby making it stronger and less resistant to breakage... Also, many beauty products /cosmetics use both animal AND human placenta among using other animal (and human) byproducts as well. I found a vegetarian site that listed all the types of animal products used in the making of cosmetics for an example. I'll send it or post it if you or anyone else is interested...

Oh and one more thing... I discovered you could buy this conditioner I'm referring to at your local Price Attack stores apparently. (On one forum I found coincidently while doing my placenta research was an exclusive Aussie site dedicated to the care and maintenance of long hair, and a woman mentioned she finds the conditioner there at times.)

All righty then! Moving right along...

Glad your hair is doing better!

GREAT advice! (Never heard of B&B deep conditioner though, anyone know the price and where I might be able to purchase it? Thanks in advance) :sheep:

WOW! thankyou for all of that info! very interesting yes i would like for you to either email it to me or if anyone else is interested in it maybe post it?

thanks nic

p.s. price attack i have one here but i dont think i would dare use it on myself, lol.

Interesting ! I would like to see the site too.

Btw jojoba oil is a great leave in conditioner.

Ok so i have done the olive oil heated up thing three times now AND....the results are:

My hair actually feels stronger (not sure if it really is but feels as though it isnt breaking as much) and its shinier, and not so dry looking and not itchy either!

i have been leaving it in for say an hour to an hour and a half and then rinsing, washing with shampoo, conditioning and rinsing with cold water. oh also i got a new hairdryer, my old one ended up just blowing cold air! YAY! did anyone else try it?

thanks for the great advice.

Nic

Back