Why Revlon discontinued Skinlights

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK don't be mislead because this is purely speculation on my part.

But, I have been wearing skinlights for two days and also have had a pounding headache for the past two days.

When I applied it, the headache started to form. I took a nap and woke up with it being worse.

Pretty sure this is a fragrance sensitivity.

Let me clear it up further, I can't wear a lot of perfumes because I will get serious migraines. Skinlights has a very strong scent (to me). I didn't suspect it was the makeup until just now and remembered my fragrance sensitivity. I looked up more information on it (see bottom). It could very well be the fragrance in Skinlights causing my headaches.

I wonder if this happened to a lot of people, and they complained. If it is one of the reasons it's being discontinued, then I think Revlon should just reformulate the product. Hopefully they will, because my HG foundation mix includes it now, but at the same time I cannot wear it or else my migraines will be horrible.

I'm about to go wash my face thoroughly and see how quickly the headache clears up, if at all. Then, I will check back and update.

This article has a lot of info on fragrance sensitivities, and what causes them in makeup: Chemical Sensitivities And Perfumes

Edit: I should add that yesterday my boyfriend thought I was drunk because when I woke up, my speech was really slurred. I couldn't really concentrate on our conversation. My eyes were burning badly all afternoon after I woke up.

I read this just now and thought it made sense with my symptoms.

Excerpt from above article:

• Acetone — when inhaled, it can cause mild central nervous system disturbances such as dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, slurred speech, and drowsiness. It can irritate the eyes, nose, throat, and skin.
  • Alpha-pinene — can be a moderate irritant to skin, eyes, and mucus membranes.
  • Alpha-terpineol — can cause excitement, loss of muscular coordination, hypothermia, central nervous system and respiratory depression, and headache.
  • Benzyl acetate, benzyl alcohol, benzaldehyde, camphor, ethanol, and others. Most fragrance chemicals are not tested for safety.

It IS strongly scented. I noticed it the first time I used it. I didn't notice a headache though. Doesn't meant I didn't get one, but I get them a fair amount and probably wouldn't have associated one with the other. I'll have to try it a couple times and see if I get a headache. Interesting theory.

I've never gotten a headache from Skinlights, but I know what you mean about the scent. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have Dior Diorskin Fluid foundation, and that gives me HORRIBLE headaches...

its is strong but i kinda like it and since i mix it with either my foundation or my moisturizer its not as strong. I understand what you mean because im really sensitive to perfumes.

Thanks for the info. But The walgreens near my house just stock up on skinlights and I asked the lady and she said they were going to keep selling them.

Holy crap! lol. I may ask you to do a cp at some point! :rotfl:

No stores near me have had them for a few weeks.

Sure :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I'll go back to make sure and ask the manager or something. Maybe they are going to keep selling until they run out :sheep:

I'm sorry you're having migraines! I use Skinlights too and have never had a problem with it. I don't even notice the smell. LOL

Have you seen your doctor regarding your headaches? I hope you begin to feel better soon:)

Yikes!! Okayyy lemmie tell u my experience with skinlights me never worn foundation of any kind my entire life I have the clearest skin but I wanted to "enhance i" well it enhanced it alright .. it made my face bright red and gave me more then 7 pimples in less then a day and my face was shiny slick oil after a few hours.. I like my own skin much better

I tried it last spring first time wearing foundation and I wore it all day after i took it off my skin was red and bumpy ack!

even tho it looked really pretty on me

Hey thanks hunny!! holy crap old thread hehe

heehee.. just thought i'll butt in. i asked a revlon beauty advisor if their gonna discontinue selling skinlight but she looked at me kinda weird and say " huh??? nopes "

i have the skinlight stick and a foundation...i never really used them much, but since reading here that they are discontinued, i notice them in the stores.....most of the stores around me no longer have them and there are a lot of skinlight products at BigLots now, but there are also a couple of drugstores that have them full price on the shelf....i guess they are just slow to clear things out?

Back