Dry and dull hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the laast year I turned from a brunette to a blonde.The thing is that while previously I had nice shiny hair, now it's dry with split ends etc. I know it's because of the dying...but any suggestions?

Hairdressers in my town don't offer any hair tretments(I hope this makes sence)...

I've been washing my hair with shampoo(lke L'oreal etc.) for dyed hair but no change I think.

Why don't you try some drugstore conditioners and deep conditioners like Garnier Fructis and Ultra Beauty lines, Keune, Schwartzkopf (especially Gliss Kur line)? Shampoos from these brands are also great.

You might also want to try olive oil deep conditioning.

I turned from a brunette to blonde last year too; and my hair is not dried out at all and I'm mainly using the above mentioned products regularly.

I use a hair mask every 2-3 days that leaves the hair quite glossy but the result lasts for 1 day tops...I guess I should try harder.:pedro: haha

Good luck. I've tried suave hair care products, but they never work so well for me.

I have color treated hair -and am 44 yrs old, so my hair has become drier with age. I have had excellent success with Shikia organic shampoo for color treated hair. There are no chemicals in this type of shampoo that will strip your hair of it's natural oils and it will also help keep your color longer. It also makes special shampoos designed for either blonde, brunette or red highlights. Take note that darker hair will reflect light more readily than blonde. About the split ends...try to take a break from blowdrying the ends (when you can).

If you have Sephoria in your area, you might want to ask someone there what they would reccommend for a good deep conditioner especially for split ends.

I dye my hair regularly also and the number one thing that has kept my hair in good condition is deep condition and moisturize like crazy. I really think the shampoo may be the culprit. In order for any shampoo to work, it has to lift and wash away oils and dirt from the hair. This can do major damage to dyed hair since the cuticle has to be lifted in order for the dye to work.

The best thing to do is to get a nice trim to get rid of the splits and do more moisturizing deep treatments. If you can't get it done at the salon, you can do it at home by just apply a treatment conditioner and a plastic cap for a few hours. Do this every few days and you should see a great improvement within about 6 weeks.

i acutally saw this in a health food store last week, i should go check it out now. cause it looked really cool.

Venetiakim,

I have hair that is always naturally dry, so I always have to make extra sure that I moisturize it at all times.

What you can do is to use shampoo only once a week (and put it on your roots only!!!) If you put shampoo on the rest of your hair, you will only dry it further.

If you feel like you have to wash everyday, you can do what I do: A "Conditioner Only" Wash. You wash your hair like normal, only you use conditioner instead of shampoo (avoid putting any on your roots, it will look too greasy then.)

Also, once a week, the night before I shampoo, I do an "Olive Oil Mask" for my hair. I mix a few grams of honey, with equal grams of Olive Oil, and I put it on my hair towards the ends. Then I put a plastic cap on, (or you can even use a plastic bag) cover my hair, wake-up in the morning, and shampoo and condition.

I will guarantee you, the results you see will be very very good for your hair! If it starts to be too much oil, you can always reduce the conditioner and olive oil, but this is a way to do it that does not cost much money at all.

Back