"God forbid you be ugly"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay there was this quote I read (I think it's M. Monroe)

"God forbid you be ugly, to be pretty is your doom, for everyone harbors a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room"

It goes something like that.

What do you think about that quote? Do you think it's true?

I think it sort of is. It's a shame though. Sometimes pretty girls are mean, but a lot of the time they're nice too. I don't know if some might just use jealousy as an excuse for their bad attitude though! :brsh:

Yeah - it's that way more times that is needed.

I rarely get jealous - because that is not going to change anything. The only time I hate pretty girls is when they know it too much and are selfish or snobby or something.

I think it's by Ani DiFranco, but I might be wrong about that.

It might be the gospel truth for some and grossly inaccurate for others. Don't get me wrong I definitely like the quote.

Same here. People like this make me wish that I had a wand, because I would put an UglyButt curse on them.

My thoughts on the quote -

People may hate the pretty girl, but they'll do anything for her if it means getting in her good graces.

i think it true to a certain extent too, but i also admire beauty and pretty girls, not the really vain ones that act like there s*** dont stink, when we know it does haha

:6: Definitely. And what for? There are some people who were not so blessed, but deserve fair treatment. Maybe that's why sometimes pretty girls are hated!

Yup. It's pretty much been proven that people who are considered attractive get MUCH BETTER treatment than those who aren't - sad but true.

I think it's a big factor as to why someone who is better looking isn't so well liked. The treatment that they get is PHENOMENAL!

Hhmmm...it's true and it's not true. I have no problem with a pretty girl as long as she's not a snobby, stuck on herself priss. LOL...THAT I do not like. But, yeah, I have noticed they get treated differently. But, that's not them, it's US. Know what I mean? It's a societal thing, at least in the U.S. it is. We "worship" youth and beauty.

i dont know im totally opposite, i think like this, if i see the most beautiful girl in the room, im thinking wow shes sooo pretty i want to be best friends with her! is that weird? and it just so happens that in junior high and high school i was ALWAYS best friends (the sidekick) with the prettiest and most popular girl in school!!!! i guess my thing is more i rather be close to someone pretty than say have her as an enemy or rival.

i think people expect women to be pretty, and if you don't put a minimum amount of makeup on your face you appear lazy, out of the game. it's really a challenge to be beautiful and we are expected to participate, i suppose.

i believe beauty is within, but i agree a good looking face will be treated differently. sad.

The quote is from an Ani Difranco song called 32 flavors.

32 Flavors"

squint your eyes and look closer

I'm not between you and your ambition

I am a poster girl with no poster

I am thirty-two flavors and then some

and I'm beyond your peripheral vision

so you might want to turn your head

cause someday you're going to get hungry

and eat most of the words you just said

both my parents taught me about good will

and I have done well by their names

just the kindness I've lavished on strangers