Starter Items

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been saying, I'm going to start wearing makeup for a year now and I haven't yet. In fact, I don't even own any makeup.

What basics should I buy first and do you have any brand recommendations?

Depends on your needs- for instance, if you have pretty even-toned skin, you don't REALLY need foundation (especially not to start out with!)

For a true, 100% beginner, I'd go with some neutral eyeshadows, lip gloss, and mascara. And blush. Don't forget blush. Then when you get more comfortable using it, you can get some more fun shadows and lipsticks/glosses, and (if you feel you need it!) maybe dip into foundation/concealer/etc etc.

I agree with Triskele, it really does depend on your makeup needs, for example : you can start out just wearing pressed powder and lipgloss, and a little mascara, and then work from there.

i'd recommend mascara first, maybelline and covergirl from the drugstore are good. i swear once you see your lashes mascara'd up you'll never go without it again LOL

eye shadows, mascara, bronzer, lipgloss, eye liners....a tinted moisturiser...loose or pressed powder

I would suggest powdered foundation, black eye liner, tinted lip gloss and concealer to start.

I would start with a lipgloss or lipstick and work from there. You will see what you want to add. When I started to wear makeup, I had only a lipgloss and a lipcare stick, and now, 15 years later I bought my first blush. I never had the need for a blush, but now I think I need one. So you see, you don't need to buy everything at once, because when you're home, you will find that a lot of the stuff you got you don't need. And I know, you will get more and more, it's like drugs :drunken_smilie:

a few neutral eyeshadows, mascara, lipglosses. then you can try tinted moisturiser, blush, pressed powder.

Urban Decay Primer Potion..(put it under your eyeshadow...makes it last forever without creasing and the colors pop more!..at Sephora for around 15 dollars)

Black Mascara...I'd suggest Max Factor Lash Perfection...(you can get it at Wal-Mart..around 6 dollars i believe)

Lipgloss...a clearer pinkinsh/peach one for an everyday look and a more colorful one for goin out...(try revlon, loreal, maybelline...at your local cvs or wallgreens!)

Black eyeliner pencil... (try Sephora brand, loreal, maybelline...etc.)

Eyeshadows...(fx. Milani or Loreal..at your local cvs)..try maybe getting eyeshadow quads at first so youll have some colors that go together :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />...id get golds, greens and plums if i were you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A couple of eyeshadow brushes to apply your makeup...try Target or Wal-mart!

Good luck....later on if youd be up for spending more money id definately suggest buying MAC eyeshadows!

Ditto on what the other ladies said- espec. about mascara and lipgloss. I would also say a soft blush, nothing too bright, pressed powder and a few eyeshadow colors that you can wear for everyday, neutrals would be the way to go if youre not used to applying yet

my basics are in order of imp:

eyeliner

mascara

lipgloss

but makeup is all about accentuating what you have and masking what you dont like, so decide what you want to work with first...for me eyeliner and mascara make aaaall the difference, the other stuff is just fun to play with..

Keep in mind you can use clear mascara if you have problems with flaky stuff coming off the darker colors, or want to practice. I see from your picture that you have a deeper skin tone, maybe try a highlighter or luminizer. Bronzers are up to you.

A sweep of blush or bronzing powder across your cheeks and a hint of shine on your lips will give you a healthy glow without being too high maintenance.

A bronzer suited to darker skin tones will really help wake up your complexion, especially if it has a little (not too much) shimmer in it. For your lips, it's all about what feels comfortable to you. Some people love the feel of lipgloss, others like me can't stand it and prefer lipstick, lip stain or tinted lip balm, but a bit of moisture and colour looks good on everyone.

Add some mascara to emphasise the eyes and you've got a basic makeup. It's what I wear when I can't be bothered to do a full face -- mascara, bronzer, lipstick.

Latest posts

Back