I am officially a vegetarian!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I havent eaten meat for a WEEK! I know it doesnt seem like that much but it IS! I dont eat cow, poultry, or fish, but I do eat dairy products, and eggs (but only from free run chickens) to get my protein and calcium. I just wanted to know if you had nay suggestions for a healthy diet, or if anyone hear is a vegetarian, what is your experience with it?

Good for you. I consider myself a flexatarian - eat meat periodically bu not daily.

There are lots of protein sources such as beans, soy, nuts, peanut butter.

Make sure you eat at least 60 grams of protein a day.

Consider an iron supplement - check with your doctor if you need one.

Peta is a great source for vegetarian info.

The new Canada's Food Guide gives good examples of Meats and alternatives.

'Dieticians of Canada' is a great website that helps you keep track of your diet as well.

Good luck with the new lifestyle.

Congrats! That's a big deal. I wish it was possible, but I like meat too much - growing up with it just about everyday and all. But I am proud of you!

I hope it all works out for you!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I know we have quite a few on the board. Congrats and best of luck with you newfound diet!

i don't consider myself as a vegetarian, though i don't like and eat meat much.

a great alternative, and a great source of protein, is tofu (it's deriving from soy). you can easily cook it with other ingredients.

I'm love meat too much to go green, but congrats!!!

just be careful and make sure you get all the necessary nutrients, because I've seen a few friends who get deathly sick from their attempt to go green (and not getting the balanced nutrition). Good luck!!!

Congrats, I went vegetarian for about 3 months and I felt very de-toxified. I just recommend as others have that you make sure you have enough protein (rice and beans together are a complete protein).

congrats to you, i could not eat meat either as far as beef and poultry i dont eat pork at all but i would have a hard time not eating seafood

Last summer I stopped eating meat for a while, I think it lasted 3 months. Then I realized that I couldn't eat the chicken bowls at my fave Japanese restaurant in S.Cali..... Yoshinoya, so I started eating chicken again. I still don't eat beef or pork and I only occasionally eat chicken, I never really liked fish. I don't really add certain foods to make up for their nutrients, but I've been fine so far.

congrats! I only eat chicken and sometimes fish but thats only because im not a fan of beef.

I'm practically a vegetarian, since I only eat meat once or twice a week and I'm a tofu fiend. I guess two of the biggest concerns regarding a vegetarian diet is getting enough complete protein and vitamin B12. By combining a variety of beans, legumes, nuts, and grains, you can get a complete protein. Tofu, almonds, and QUINOA are vital in my diet. As for B12, many prepared vegetarian/vegan foods are fortified with it, such as soy milk, cereals, and tofu, but some people choose to take a supplement. Oh, I also take an iron supplement, but that's partly because I'm anemic as well. Since you are eating eggs and dairy, you won't have as many concerns as a full vegetarian or vegan. Anyway, it's not hard to be a vegetarian at all, and I think it's a very healthy alternative to an omnivorous diet. Good luck!

CONGRATS!!!

I've been trying on and off to become vegetarian but for health reasons I wasn't able to. Make sure you read up on this because you will need to take suppliments and expand your diet to get all the proper nutrients.

My BF also went vegetarian just recently. He's been struggling so far but I'm very proud of him. He's been eating lots of veggies and "mock" meats.

GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us updated on your progress! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been a vegetarian since I was a toddler. I simply did not like meat. A good way to get protein is to use a whey supplement. I use chocolate whey in a glass of milk. It's also very important to take a multi-vitamin to get your B12 since you can only get that from animal products.

im a veg and proud. i dont do it for health reasons but rather moral ones. it's rediculous when people say they cant live without meat. life without meat feels better physically and emotionally. oh and meat is actually bad for you! vegetarians can up to 8 years longer than meat eaters. meat aids in heart disesase which is the number one killer in america. so therefore, studies have shown that vegs are at less risk for heart disease, and also some cancers. it's really neat. i love reading about the benefits of being a vegetarian, and also why it's good to do it for moral reasons.

GoVeg.com // Why You Should Consider Adopting a Vegetarian Diet

goveg.com has wonderful information on it that everyone, even meat eaters, should read.

thanks for the link :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i agree we don't need to eat meat. i know i don't like much beef. chicken is better if you really want to eat meat because it's a "light" meat, and it doesn't take long to be digested like beef.

thanks, now i know what quinoa is for :rotfl: . i wonder how do you cook it? like a basic cornmeal? couscous ? :kopfkratz:

I would like to be a vegetarian but I can't live without my chicken! If I could do it and still eat that I would be ok! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My mother in law is Vegetarian and she's happy!

OMG, I can't believe it! Congrats! I can't even live without meat for ONE WHOLE DAY! You are amazing!

Back