Trouble with the Cat Eye or Smoky Eye?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you're having trouble with the smoky eye or the cat eye (like I've been having), these suggestions from a MAC makeup artist will definitely help.

There are also some particular colors listed in order to help you achieve the looks (or feel free to use some colors of your own).

If you're not a MAC fan, just substitute colors from your favorite brand and have at it! *grin*

(I apologize in advance for not having pictures, but I hope this helps!)

For a smoldering effect, begin with a base colour on your lid to ensure smooth blending (try Brule Satin Eye Shadow).

Next, pat MAC Smut Eye Shadow on the lid (use MAC brush #252), blending it up just past the crease (use MAC brush #217).

Sweep a bit of the Smut Eye Shadow under the outer 1/3 of the lower lash line for soft smoky definition using the tip of the #252 brush (continue to the inner corner for a super-smoky look).

Line your eyes with Smolder MAC Eye Kohl Pencil and finish with 2 coats of MAC Pro Lash Mascara in Coal Black -- thick, lush lashes are key to the smoky look.

To wing out your eye liner at the outer corners of the eye, giving the “cat eye†look, try using MAC LIQUID EYE LINER, MAC LIQUIDLAST WATERPROOF LINER, or MAC FLUIDLINE GEL EYE LINER with the #266 brush to apply.

When applying your liner of choice, be sure not to follow the curvature of the eye down, at the corner. Instead, continue to guide the liner straight out past the corner of the eye. Depending on how dramatic you want depends on how far to extend the liner. As a general rule, I suggest not letting the line extend further than the bone.

You will find that after you extend your liner, you have the outer corner of the eye with no liner. You can blend a matte eye shadow of the same color into the "blank" space if you'd like, using the #219 brush. Or, you may like to shade the area with the liner you used, guiding it towards the extended line in a blended, smoky way. Using the #219 brush to smudge/smoke out the meeting of the two works nicely.

Another great way to achieve this winged out look, but somewhat more dramatic, would be to use the edge of the business card. Take the long side of a business card, and align it diagonally with the lower, outer corner of the eye, not letting the top of the card extend outward/downward more than the end of your brow. Using the #224 brush, pick up the shadow you'd like to use in the crease and outer corner of the eye, and sweep it on, going right over the edge of the card as you apply. When you remove the card, you will have a very strong, severe wing. Buff and blend the line you see inward, so that it softens and becomes smokier, using a clean #224, or a #217 brush.

Thanks for posting. I used to think I would never get the hang of it. I always wound up looking like a raccoon and could not go out in public lol. I found that it just takes practice practice practice.

When I do my winged eyeliner start with the outer lash section first and draw my line out first, that way if I muck the line up I can remove it and re-apply. If I do the winged bit first, I can match the eyes up and ensure the lines are the same position and length :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

oh great ! i always have trouble with my wings, lol i'll try with the business card.

Using a business card, (or in my case, a peice of folded tissue paper) is a great tip!

Latest posts

Back