Fluidline/Smudgepots - worth it for beginners?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are about 3 millions threads about gel eyeliners, but I couldn't find the answer to a question I've been thinking about for some time: Is it worth it to shell out 25 bucks on a Fluidline/Smudgepot if you've never used a liquid or gel eyeliner ever? I haven't seen any low-end gel eyeliners (liquid liners, though) and I'm afraid I am going to waste an entire jar of Fluidline just on practising.

Advice please? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have never managed to master the skill of applying gel-liners, so I am back to my pencil eye-liners, having spent money on 2 pots of Fluidline and one Smudgepot.

They last so long you can practice forever, there is a knack though. I use a small, domed, flat brush and I find it much easier that a totally flat or a thin eyeliner brush. Sorry I can't tell you what my brush is though.

I couldn't get my Fluidline to cooperate. I guess I'm just not skilled enough, but it also smudged/ran really badly on me, which was totally not my fault. Well, maybe it was my oily skins fault. :rolleyes:

I really think so. I suck at putting on eyeliner and now i have 4 fluidlines and i wont be going back to liquid or pencil.

I definitely think Fluidliners are worth it! I love em mostly because they are smudge resistant. I've owned mine for a couple of years and I'm still not an expert at applying it- altho decent. It just takes a lot of practice. You will get it eventually. I use a cheap , art store fine point brush to apply mine. Works like a charm.

Also, you an always swap it if you are unhappy with it. A lotta ppl would go for it!

i was a newbie with any liner except pencil (and even then i couldn't get it right) and gel was very easy!

I'm not a fan. I've got one Fluidline and I don't like it particularly, I much prefer to use eyeshadow as a liner, with a wet brush. Believe it or not I actually find wet shadow goes on easier!

If you want to try a gel liner though, try ebay. MAC / Stila / Bobbi Brown are not the only companies that make them, and you can get cheaper versions on there by companies like Avon, Go or Manic Panic. Worth it to see if you like the product type and then upgrade if you do, perhaps?

I think they are totally worth it but you have to make sure you have a great eyeliner brush to apply it with. Now that I have the hang of it, I love them more than anything. I agree, you should buy a cheaper version, such as Avon's to practice with, that way you won't be wasting money and product.

I agree Kristie the liner brush is key, im loving the NYX liner brush so thats why im even more of a fan. lol

I love fluidlines. I never found them hard to apply either. I use an old liquid liner brush and it's perfect for fluidlines.

I think they are a lot of fun. It will take some getting used to though. I love the fact that they don't budge once they are set! That makes it totally worth it to me. Every now and then, I will rub my eyes. I forget that I have makeup on, and reach up and....arg!!!! This way my makeup doesn't budge. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

See, I would like to get a less expensive brand to practise with, but we don't have Avon, Go or Manic Panic here and I haven't been able to find a lower end brand that does gel eyeliner yet. Maybe I'll go for a thorough search on Sat.

Fluidline is soooo easy to use. Just as long as you get a small flat brush to go with it. You will be surprised. And it wont tug your eye like a pencil.

Get a teeny tiny brush (go for a nice one from an art supply store) and it makes using gel liners a LOT easier!

I think it's definitely worth trying a fluidline! I really cannot apply liquid liner and am not that good at pencil but gel liners are really fool proof. Plus, you get so much that you can keep trying. If you do find it difficult to apply then try a different brush.

Back