The official make your own mmu thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I did ya'll and I'm on top of the world! I got so sick of ordering this and that and really not seeing too much of a big difference between them and mixing so many to find my foundation match and chasing after every new color......that.........

I decided to order some raw supplies myself, bought a grinder and a food processor and have been having a ball. Ladies it is so much easier than you'd think. So now I'm just making all kinds of shadows, blushes, and highlighters. Today I made the most fabulous yellow tinted finishing powder. So to really prove my self I gave my girlfriends some. And yes they love it. I also made some scented soaps in all kinds of different scents and formulas!

Trust me farris, I'm not saying that it's easy to make a lot of different shades for all of the different skin tones, NO WAY! But to make it for yourself, EASY! And you can make base batches and modify them with whatever you want to. Go for it! If nothing else try making your own shadows and blushes. It's really fun. :laughing:

It is fun Sheikah and cost effective! Here's where I ordered.

Coastal Scentshttp://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 35

TKB Tradinghttp://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?category=12

Hmmm... as a big do-it-myself-er, that's very intriguing... thanks for the sites! Might be heading that way soon... :g:

Not that I'm an expert but if I can answer any questions I'll be glad too. I've got tons of notes and info on it but wound up not following any of the recipes but made my own. If you can bake a cake (and we all can) then you can do this :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />:) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Definitely and with all of the stuff left over you can mix and match practically any color imaginable for shadows, highlighters, and blushes! My husband is even happy that I'm into this now. He's complemented a few times on my makeup......said it really looked good!

Cool! I'm going to try this too. How much would you say you spent and what are the must haves for basic foundation, finishing powder and color items? TY

i also bought my own silk,mica,sericite to make finishing powder ,but i dont know how much of each to put in the formula(lol)any tips for me? thanks

How fun!!!

I know a few places carry kits, like you mentioned. So does The Conservatorie, TKB trading,. They also give formulas to guide you right???? Sound like you had a good time, may have to try it

T

Wow, that's impressive. Glad you found your HG by making it! Sounds like you are having fun too.

Oh Lord help me, I shouldn't have read this post! Now I have to go check out those websites and get busy! :lol:

Go Sherry get busy! When you're done you'll have a real lifetime supply of makeup foundation and finishing powder and then you can start tweaking the bases to make different finishes like I made one foundation base that is matte and for oily skin, another that is luminescent, and another that is for dry skin! I also made 4 finishing powder bases. One for dry skin that has luminescence, another for oily skin, silk powder, and angel finishing dust! Today I made like 7 different highlighters and bronzer shades. I can't even count how many blushes and shadows I'm at and I'm talking bags of product not small jars so now I did buy some jars from TKB but I need more! Still I'm looking at my table and I've got at least $600 worth of merchandise here but I only spent $100 on my supplies! And I still have a lot left to make more stuff!

Thanks Hoozey. I'm having a ball. I also made like 20 bars of soap last weekend! They smell and feel great too. I told my GF I'd give them some but dang I don't want to part with them:add_wegbrech:

Yes they do. I'll PM or email you some notes and guidlines that I used. I didn't follow the recipes but used foundations ingredients listings that I really love as a guidline and then "played" with the percentages. For instance. In some foundations Zinc is the main ingredient. This gives a different affect than if Titanium Dioxide is the main ingredient. In some, Mica is. Also In most TD is the main ingredient w/ the proportion being 2 to 1 TD to Zinc. If you want a more soothing formula increase the Zinc proportions. Also, for better adhesion there are various additional products to use. I'll PM you!

I've had these supplies since January and they just sat. So I've been busy all morning

I can totally understand. I started using unscented liquid olive oil soap I found online and I buy eo from a soap making company to add to make the soap smell divine. I think my favorite is Anise. Homemade soap is so lovely for the skin too. I wish I could make it but I am not much of a baker. I am a cook--- I like to throw things together not measure which baking requires. Besides, I see plenty of work in my future... my hubby is finishing up drywalling the basement and I will have to paint and help tile the floors. I can't wait because then I will have an office for my home dec. business and I won't have to constantly put things away mid-project to put dinner on the table. Lot of work though... groan.

For finishing powders it would depend on what type of finish you wanted. For oily skin and to really set the makeup Kaolin is great! I also made a Rice powder setting powder and just added Lavender in it to act as a preservative. But since you have Serecite then this will give you a nice soft semi-matte finish. But there are different grades of serecite! I bought one from TKB and it is grey and matte! I bought one from GOW and boy is it beautiful! It is silky white fine and pearl-like! This is the one I used for a finishing powder and just added some already made foundation my color *just a little* and this is the most beautiful finishing powder/glow product!

You can use the Serecite in 100% proportions. If you want to color it some just mix it with a very small amount of your foundation.

If you bought silk mica this is good too but it only has average adhesion *notes coming in handy:laughing: * so it will be more useful to you alone without any other added ingredients as a highlighter, all over face color. Just add a little bit of blush color or gold, pink, peach, eyeshadow color finely ground, mix this in a baggie so you don't crush the mica too much and lose the slight glowy look. Your result will be something either exactly like one of the all over face colors or very close. And you can't know how shocked I was at how easy it is to get exact for yourself.

Oh! See now I'm getting it! Cause when I read this post last night I thought of a few of the ladies here that rave a lot and you were one that came to mind and I just knew that some of you would soon be on the bandwagon too. But if you already work from home and it's in a creative field then the shopping online is a very needed outlet. I used to run a business from my home too and the last thing that I would want to do then was even cook at home not to mention making crafts at home which require clean up!

Latest posts

Back