Retin-A and MMU?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dermatologist just put me on Retin-A and clindamycin for acne. I've only been on it for a week, but my face is peeling and dry. When I put on my MMU it flakes and my skin is so dry. Is anyone else on Retin-A, and how do you keep your skin from flaking (especially when you put on your makeup)?

I'm hoping it will get better soon, but until then, I'm frustrated. I tried using a primer this morning, and it helped a little, but not much.

Christy

I'm not sure but Hoozey helped HelloMindy when she was having some dry skin problems,I'm not sure of the name of the thread though.Sorry your'e having problems. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That is a problem. mmu always looks better when you're well exfoliated since the powder definitely emphasizes flakes. Have you tried gently exfoliating? You'd have to be careful not to irritate your skin now that you're using retin-a. Exfoliate the dead skin and moisturize really well with maybe a nice emu or olive based oil. Good luck

I have occasional flaky skin, and I find that using an AHA lotion at night and then exfoliating with oatmeal in the morning helps. A moisturizer will also reduce the flaky texture. Good luck! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi

I've used Retin A in the past & it can be drying. Go slow in the beginning. If you'e using it every night maybe try using every other night so your skin can get used to it. Here is an interesting article I found on Retin A Good luck!

Retin A & Vitamin A Creams

Thank for the link to the article. It was very informative. My derm didn't explain it well enough to me. She didn't tell me to wait 30 minutes after washing to put it on, and she didn't recommed using it every other day at first.

I guess they are just so busy, and they think we already know this stuff.

Thanks for all your encouraging words. I did call the nurse and she said this peeling and redness should go away in another week or so. That's good, but putting on makeup for the next week will not be fun!

Christy

LisaLu

That was a great article too. It just so happens that I have been considering Botox lately. Something I never would have thought I would do. I've hit that age where everything is changing, just a little, but it is getting my attention. That's what sparked the trip to the derm in the first place, was all the issues I see coming up with my skin. Acne was just one of them, and it isn't really that bad. Just a few here and there, and it seems like little bumps that must be whiteheads that just kind of stay on my cheeks but don't turn into anything.

Oh well, that 's probably more info than you wanted! LOL!

Are you offering 50 samples for 10 dollars on your site? If so, how do I access it? That sounds like a wonderful deal!

Christy

Hi Christy,

I think I might be on the same medication as you--a combination of Retin-A and Clindamycin and I also use Bare Minerals. What my doctor told me to do was to put on my light (oil free, of course) moisturizer first, let that sink in and then put the medication on over it. Apparently, Retin-A will absorb through anything (her words). But I also use the Clarisonic which gets rid of the flakes and a replenishing gel from a company called Revercel (produced in my area of San Jose, Ca). I haven't had the flaking or dry redness since I have done this. Maybe that would help.

Good luck.

Lisa:hand: (I SO love these smilies!)

Hi Wow small world! Hi Christy yes I do have the samples on my website. PM or email me privately for more info.

Hey AJMama, I'm from San Jose too! Born & raised. In Sac area now! Yes my dermie told me I could even dab it on after my makeup & that was before I knew about mineral makeup, which at least is soothing with its zinc content. The gel sounds nice & soothing, My skin needs extra moisture when using Retin A.

Hi there! Wow born and raised in San Jose! That's great! I moved here from Boston 12 years ago and will never move back. I just love this area! So the replenishing gel that I mentioned is by Revercel. One of the dermatologists at the place that I go to (called age defying dermatology) invented it, and it really works for me. It soothes my skin and really helps it. The Revercel line is priced about the same as say, Lancome but it's much better in my opinion. Hope you have a good night!

Lisa T. (AJmama)

Lisa,

Thanks for the info. Where do you get the Clarasonic and the Reversel (can't remember spelling...). I will try anything to get rid of this flaking and dryness!

Christy

Latest posts

Back