Importance of Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought napoleon auto pilot primer today, because I thought it would help keep my makeup on, especially eyemakeup. Because I'm new to primer, I have a question or two!

how important is primer to you? do you use it?

do you use it in place of moisturiser under your foundation? or as well as?

Would the order: primer, foundation, powder be correct?

I feel like a kid with a new toy! I'm so excited to try it!

Is the product you bought an eye or face primer? I only use for my eyes.

Since I started using eye primer, I am amazed at how long my e/s stays on compared to before. I would always have creasing or e/s all over except my lids!

I don't put foundation on my lids anymore, so the order I apply on eyes is primer, shadow, setting powder (BE mineral veil), liner, mascara.

I have one primer for my foundation and a different one for my eyes. The foundation primer gives me smoother skin to work with while I use a different primer on my eyes so my eyeshadow shows up more.

I apply moisturizer, then my primer, then foundation, then loose powder.

I know that Napolean has the auto pilot skin primer and auto pilot eye spy..which did you buy?

Let me know how you like it!

I have a different one for eyes and a different one for face. My face one is the Smashbox photofinish one and my eyes is, of course, UDDP. If it weren't for these babies my makeup would be gone by lunch! Especially my eyes. I've got super greasy lids and without primer my shadow creases or fades.

In terms of applying it, for face I apply it before anything else. Since my face is oily I skip the mositurizer. Then depending on the type of foundation I wait. If I am going to wear my liquid foundation, I wait about 3 to 5 minutes for my primer to set and then I apply foundation and powder and blah blah blah. But with my MMU, I apply it right away. I don't let the primer set. I found it helps the MMU stick better to my skin.

With eyes, I dab my primer on and wait for it to set for like 10 seconds and then I apply the shadow. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use 2 different ones too - one for face, one for the eyes.

for face, I use smashbox and for the eyes, I use either UDPP or paint+CCB combo.

as far as the importance of primer is concerned, I need them, lol!

my MU doesn't stay on as long without them. and also for the eyes, I find that the primer brings out much better color out of the e/s.

the order you put in is correct, primer, foundation, then powder.

The eye shadow primer is very important, I don't think you can do without it! Can you? I don't have a face primer right now, my smashbox has fell off my hands and broken.

UDPP is the best and most popular eyeshadow primer,it has wonderful stayin power and it protects the eyeshadow from creasing and fading all day long,it is applied before the eyeshadow!

I ise UDPP for my e/s and smashbox for my face and the order is moisturizer,primer,foundation,powder!

I got the face one. It was a bigger bottle and it cost less. LOL. Plus the woman at the shop said it was more versatile. I love it so far! I mixed it with a little of my foundation and used it like that. My skin looks really fresh and dewy. I was impressed. Not sure about the actual staying power yet since I've only had it on an hour

I only use an eyeshadow primer. I use urban decay's primer potion & I love it! I have very oily skin, so my eyeshadow doesn't stay put, but I know some people who don't have oily skin that don't benefit from an eyeshadow primer at all, so don't bother if you don't need it.

I have UDPP. I also have Smashbox which I don't like. Barely used it at all. Just sits on a shelf. I've also tried Monistat chaffing gel. Not bad.

Beauticontrol has a great eye primer that helps shadow go on smooth, blend beautifully and stop creasing. I tried L'Oreal Creaseproof and it did nothing.

i use the urban decay eye primer...and i love it....my eyeshadow stayed on for ultimate hours!!! i apply the primer, eyeshadow, then translucent powder.

If I didnt have a primer Id have to kil myself haha, I need a primer for my pores otherwise Id look hideious (terrible spelling) but Primers are such a hit and miss, Ive spent so much money on the stuff.... and some days it will work great and others you cant even tell you have it on it sucks lol.

I have tried alot of primers.... They all feel very heavy on my skin and seem to clog my pores. So I avoid them.

I just started using primer...TODAY...LOL. I started another thread on MK Signature Eye Primer and it came in the mail yesterday so I tried it this morning. So far so good, I do think my shadow went on smoother. I guess, I'll have to wait until a little further in the day to really tell. How much are you supposed to put on?

Back