Air brush question... for the Pros

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to begin school next month and we will be learning airbrush foundation on school equipment. I prefer to have my own by then so I can learn on it rather than school stuff. What do you use, what do you recommend, what is the difference between Sparmax and Iwata? Any special brushes I should look into? Anything that sprays better at lower PSI's? Any info is greatly appreciated. I plan on investing in Temptu's make up but I am wondering the difference between the SB and the Aqua foundations as far as application goes. Anyone know?

try Kett cosmetics...they use these products on the playboy girls...to get that flawless flawless look

The Iwata Silver Jet is a good lightweight one.

Silver Jet Air Compressor

Also, I use Kryolan A/B Makeup, but Temptu is good also.

Aqua - is waterbased and dries Matt and provides light to medium coverage - good for bodypainting.

Temptu - is silicone based - will last up to 12 hours, and you get a dewey finish.

Kryolan - Non-Silicone based, but you can thin it out by adding water or silicone based primer (don't use a silicone based foundation to thin out).

You can also thin out by using 1/2 moisturizer and 1/2 distilled water in a small bottle (shake well).

As far as PSI - keep between 10-15 for foundation and eyework.

I know this is alot of info. I hope it helps.

THANK YOU THANK YOU Glamour Girl!!! Just one more ? if you happen to see this. How far will a starter set of the Temptu products get me? Will the tiny bottles be enough for me to do several applications? They are pricy so I would like to start small and buy larger quantities as I need it. Once again, THANK YOU!!!

yes, you can use kett they are really really good some kits cost sbout 400-600 dollars but itis really beneficial. Airbrush makeup is mainly used for Hi-def for those who know what it is airbrush allows the makeup to cover the face as oppse to manually applying makeup that way it is suitable for Hi-def television and you won't see wrinkles or pustules or pimples and you will also learn about pixels and all that stuff have fun.

Sorry, I can't link yet but:

For compressor-Iwata Smart Jet: It's extremely portable, turns off when not in use, the psi is adjustable, and has a moisture trap.

For airbrush-Iwata Eclipse HP CS/Gravity feed (it's best to get 2 in case 1 gets clogged, which happens frequently)-you want dual action.

Get a nylon covered hose rather than using the crappy little hose that comes with the gun.

You'll need an airbrush stand to screw on to the table to hold your airbrush:

And I highly recommend getting an male/female Quick Disconnect adapter for the screw that connects the hose to the compressor (you can get that at any hardware store).

Avoid Dinair by all costs, Kett is too matte for my tastes, and I haven't tried Temptu. Mac's isn't bad-the color range is easy because most people are familiar with it and with our discount, it's very reasonable.

I like Aircraft Cosmetics for foundation-it's water based, so you can touch up out of the bottle on set if need be.

But you can basically thin down most foundations from their bases (e.g water, thin with water; silicone, 244 solution: alcohol-oh yes you will be using alcohol based paints-alcohol). I've run Make Up For Ever, Revlon, Mac's Face & Body, Skin by Allison Raffaele foundations through my airbrush. You can experiment with Revlon's Colorstay and 244-it's about 1/3 price of the foundations made specifically for airbrushes. All the Star Trek series (original excepted) used Colorstay through their airbrushes. That is probably the route to go, because you'll be investing a lot of money in your airbrush and accessories, and you can get Revlon anywhere. The one for dry skin is the best.

I'd also recommend getting those tiny little brushes that people use to clean between their braces to help clean your tip out (drug store).

Have fun! Practice!

Wow, that was information I was looking all over for. I couldn't figure out if we could thin out other make up to make it apply-able (making up my own words again :smile:) with an airbrush. Thanks! You're awesome.

Some popular compressors to look at are the SilverJet the SmartJet and the SmartJet Pro from Iwata.

All airbrush makeup is different, Temptu's Aqua (water based) will provide a matte look and sets faster than Temptu S/B (Silicone Based) S/B gives a dewy look and is a little easier to work with. Most people prefer S/B however Aqua comes in handy when your on a photoshoot or under a lot of light where shine can become a problem (because its matte.)

The starter kit will last you a good bit, you should only be using 4-6 drops for each face- so it goes a long way.

Hope this helps!

I'm New To This Site But Already Loving It. Great Info. Great Site For Women To Share All Their Beauty Tips. What A Way To Save Money On Buying Products That Never Work Like They Say They Will. Mahalo

Can any of you guys help me now? I just bought an airgun, love it, but the makeup doesn't cover enough for me so I thought about my liquid foundation, How do you mix it? what do you add, and how much? are some over the counter foundations ok to use, or can all work with the right ratio? help,help,help! thanks for any info!

Evenflo, I recently got an airbrush machine and I have the same problem. Love the concept but not enough coverage. I'm using revlon colorstay. It covers better with a sponge but I like the look and feel of airbrush makeup it just doesn't cover as well. I even sat there and reapplied and reapplied and it still wasn't enough. Hopefully someone can give us some tips.

I wouldn't recommend using 244 - it isn't really used in the cosmetics because of known defects in its chemical makeup. In fact you shouldn't be cutting your own makeup (mostly due to inconsistency in the mixing of different types of silicones) but if you must use 344.

Justin

Latest posts

Back