Flat irons..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I konw there are about a million and one threads on flat irons, but I've already bought one flat iron that was over 100 bucks, and I don't want to buy another without some opinions. The one I own now is a Corioliss it worked really well at first, but now I find that my hair is very dry and I have a TON of split ends and damage in my hair. I use a heat protectant, I always have. Well anyways, the Corioliss worked really great at first, silky shine, and perfectly straight hair. Now, it takes twice as long as it use to, to get about half the results I use to. I have to go over the hair 2 or 3 times and it still isn't as straight as I'd like it to be. [i like it to be completely PIN straight]. Plus, before I could straighten it and then not have to straighten it again until I washed it [i wash my hair every other day..]. Now, I wake up the next day and my hair is all wavy again.

So.. what straightener do you suggest to a girl that has fizzy, damaged, wavy hair. As I said before I am looking to achieve a pin straight look. I was looking at CHI and Sedu. The only thing I am worried about with the CHI is that I'm seeing alot of reviews that peoples CHI's broke after a year or so. I use my straightener on a daily basis so I need something that is going to last! The Sedu seems pretty good, it's got alot of good reviews on Folica. But yeah, I just wanted everyones opinions! Thanks everyone, I know I'll find help here.

I heard the Chi was really good. I knew a girl in college that had some kind of fancy straightner that was around 300 buckaroos, but it worked awesome. Pretty much with any heating tools, you get what you pay for!

I've had the CHI for a realli long time now (I keep saying 2 years in all my posts , but i know it's been longer than that ....) and it hasn't broken on me. It still heats up the same and I've dropped it prolly a billion times already ..lol

I also lent my sister my CHI for a few months and she hasn't broken it either. She has realli thick , unmanageable hair, (even after she had it thinned out @ the salon) In the past she has broken a couple of curling irons (she lets them heat for 3 hours while she eats breakfast and sits @ the computer .. then do her Mu), a few blowdryers (from blowdrying her clothes w/it) , and a bunch of my flat irons-Remington, Conair, Revlon....- but ... she hasn't broken my CHI and I'm soo relieved ..lol

However, after I purchased the CHI, I've heard the Sedu is a lot better. So IMHO, go w/the Sedu, after all, they cost about the same
biggrin.gif

I have one and it sucks kinda. Ive heard of the CHI but I dont think Id get it jus cuz I dont have any money and I only straighten my bangs so itd be pointless to pay a lot of money for a straightner. Hopefully you'll find something works great.

Thanks everyone. I think I'm kind of leaning towards the Sedu. Any more opinions??

Does the chi have a temperature control.....instead of just an on and off switch?

I am really thinking of getting one. How much do they go for?

As I wrote in another post, FHI has a better quality flat iron. CHI is definitely over-priced. I got one for 150 and the switch broke in 10 months. The one I got had not temp control. You will pay big bucks for their adjustable temp ones.

I have 2 FHI flat irons in different widths. I absolutely love them. They are made better and perform better as well. My CHI did not get hot enough to flatten my naturally curly hair.

CHI does make great hair styling products. The CHI Silk Infusion is the absolute best hair product for coarse curly hair on the market. And, I should know as I have tried about everything there is to manage my mop of hair!

Okay, well I ended up getting the Sedu. I haven't tried it yet, but I got it at Ulta and they have a 60 day return policy. So..if I decide it sucks, I can return it. It cost 120 bucks. I'll let everyone know how I like it over the next couple of days..
smile.gif

I have a CHI and it does have an adjustable temperature on it. I have had mine for quite some time and it still works like new. I put this in another post, but you can get CHI flat irons on ebay for a lot cheaper than you can in store. You can get them on there for around $80 last time i checked. In stores you will pay over $100. I love the CHI, definately worth the money for a quality product.

The HAI flat iron is a really great cheaper alternative to the CHI iron! You may be able to find it as low as $55 in some places like Hair Care Comparison Shopping sites or Ebay! It employs the use of a little bit of steam, so it is known for giving a high shine. I used to use it, but my (beautiful) results lasted for only about a week or so, whereas my SEDU keeps me looking nice for up to three hair washes before reverting completely back to its original texture.

I hope that helps!

I have a CHI and I really like it. My hair is long-ish and its really thick and wavy and I can straighten it perfectly in 20-25 minutes. (Which means I have to get up EARLY to make it to school by 8:05!!
smile.gif
) I use the CHI silk Infusion with it, and it works great!! I wanted to try the SEDU, but I really, really didn't want to shell out the $40 more than what the CHI costed (89.95) to get it.... And honestly, I was looking at the review pictures on Folica Beauty Supply, and the people who did their hair with the SEDU didn't look that much more fabulous than the CHI people. I guess it sort of depends on your hair. For my hair, the CHI is great! (although..... I have only had it a month or so, so I don't know if it's going to damage my hair or not....)

Let us know how your SEDU works!!!!

You will LOVE your Sedu! I have a CHI and a Sedu, and my CHI sits in my closet! My Sedu wins, hands down! I have extremely curly hair that I straighten all the time. Let us know how you like it!

I have medium lenght wavy fuzzy hair and a flat iron I bought at walmart works really well. It's a Conair flat iron and only cost about $30. It heats up fast and in a minute is ready to use instead of waiting like 25 minutes like someother flat irons. I have had it for almost 2 years and it still works well. I put baby oil in my hair and straighten my hair after that. I end up with pin straight hair that lasts for days.

Conair - Instant Heat Ceramic-coated 2" Double Ionic Straightener (CS18JCS)

^^ that's the one I have. I don't know if they still have it at walmart.

When I first got it I use to not care about my hair so I just threw it around but now I use it everyday and it still works well. I got it because my mom's hair is really curly and damaged and I liked playing her hairstylist lol (i'm 15 so it's not that weird haha) and liked to "admire" my work in her hair. It actaully straighten her hair good but not pin straight like it did to mine.

Okay, well I used my Sedu for the first time this morning - it only took me about 15 minutes to do my whole head of hair, whereas it use to take me about 25-30 minutes with my old one. My hair stayed pin straight all day..and it's silky smooth! Even my ex noticed when I stopped by where he works today!
smile.gif

So far I'm loving the results!! I'm really glad I chose this one over the CHI, I like it because the plates are larger and I can cover more hair at once!
smile.gif

Back