Lumiere vs Meow: Lumiere wins for me.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Meow:

I got my meow sample, and I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed. I really wanted to like Meow.

First issue is the color which runs too light in comparison to what is shown in screen. I ordered Slick and Frisky of different color (Siamese, Mau, Abyssinian, Chartreux, Korat, and Angora) since my monitors (looked at 3 different monitors) showed the Naughty a shade (or two?) too dark. This of course could be corrected by trying the Naughty color (but since Lumiere works for me...)

Second issue is the coverage. I ordered Flawless Feline for better coverge but I find that I still have to layer a few times and the finish is ashy. I also find that I can see dot of foundation pooling on my pores (tried dry and wet applications with the same results). Of course, these occurrences could be due to wrong color (i.e. too light).

The last issue that I have is I'm oily within 4 hours especially my nose and forehead. But, of course, I have the same “oily†issue with most MMU.

Note: Although Meow did not work for me, it could still work for you.

Lumiere:

I tried Light Golden in Luminesse formulation at first. Good coverage but oily within 4 hours and a bit shiny.

Then, I tried light warm and light beige in Veena Velvet formulation. Surprise to find them too light. I also notice the same issue with pooling of foundation on my pores (the same effect even with darker shade of Light Medium Golden in VV). It also highlights dry skin on my cheek and, on the tip of my nose, the powder is noticeable at close look (applied too heavily?).

Since other Lumiere’s fan recommended mixing, I mixed LM Golden in VV and L. Golden in Luminesse. Results: HG. All the problems I indicated above is gone. My best application method is using wet sponge which resulted in flawless coverage (no pooling), not too matt and not too shiny either, and most importantly, it lasts all day.

I prefer lumiere compared to meow as well, which is a pity as meow is so worthwhile! But i haven't tried mixing VV & Luminiesse yet. Should really give it a go, since im going for the full size next.

I might try mixing it, but I'm scared that my skin would be irritated by the Oat in it! =(

I am glad you found something that works perfectly for you! Many wouldn't try mixing the two bases together- let alone find HG.

Every day when I read about someone's HG I am so glad that there are so many companies out there so that we can all find our HG. Lumiere is mine but I know that it won't work for everyone and there are options.

Enjoy your newfound HG!

Lumiere wins for me too! I was SO dissapointed with meow, and everyone seems to love meow but i've stayed clear of it ever since getting some samples..there are much better companies IMO that I don't want to bother again.

To Citre:

Both Luminesse and VV have oat in it. So, I'm not worried about mixing them. Someone finds that the mix of Flawness and VV works better - which I'm not trying since Flawless has squalane. I'm afraid water and oil won't mix since I like wet application.

To Hoozey:

Thanks. I'm glad that I found my HG, too. I don't want to go through sampling like crazy just to find the right one. I bet this won't stop me from trying other MMU but still it is good to know that you have one that works to fall back to.

I've never like traditional liquid make up; they seemed so gooey (although I apply MMU wet, it dries quickly). So I used Loreal Trublend powder foundation which was adequate (then again it's gone by mid-day, a little orange - my picture sometimes is shocking, and oily by noon). Then, it was discontinued in Walgreen so I started wondering about MMU.

MMU has a WOW effect on me. Since they tend to stay better than Loreal powder foundation. I'm so glad that Loreal powder foundation was discontinued since it galvanized me to find a replacement which led to MMU

I was a little hesitant at first about posting my experience with Meow since a lot of people seem to love it. But I'm glad that this forum is open to RAVE as well as RANT.

Congratulations on finding your HG! I like Meow better than Lumiere though - I break out everytime I use the latter, I was thinking perhaps it might be the oat ingredient that is doing that. Meow definitely works for me when I need a light to medium coverage foundation that will not make me look overdone. That said, I love Lumiere's blushes and eye shimmers- really outstanding quality - some of them are even better than my MAC pigments! - and the price definitely cannot be beat (free shipping, yay!).

Hi periwinkle,

Is you skin by any chance "normal"? I'm thinking that maybe Meow is better suited to dry to normal while Lumiere (formulation with oat) is better for oily skin. Oat doesn't seem to bother me.

Now that I'm happy with my foundation. It is time to explore eye shadows. I'm having the same problem with eye shadows that I've tried. Either they don't last or crease on my eyelid. So frustrating. I'm so oily sometimes that my mascara has a tendency to smear giving me a raccoon eyes.

Hi mauwong,

I first prime my oily skin with a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia (or whatever generic brand you prefer). I let it dry and then follow with a layer of silica and kaolin clay (3:1 mix), which I mix with water to obtain a thin fluid and apply a thin layer with a taklon foundation brush. Once that dries, I apply my mineral foundation wet (also mixed with water to form a thin fluid), in thin layers (letting each layer dry before applying the next layer), with my taklon foundation brush. When I'm happy with the coverage, I brush a light dusting of my silica-kaolin clay mixture over the parts of my face that tend to get oily. The final step is a good spritzing of water to set the makeup and remove any chalkiness settling in my pores.

My makeup stays even after a sweat-drenching one-and-a-half hour workout (half an hour of cardio and an hour of weight-training).
smile.gif

I've tried dry application but it didn't work for me because I need really good matte coverage and applying so many layers of MMU caused the foundation to settle in my pores, making them look huge and my face looking chalky.

hi mauwong,

I love both Lumiere and Meow.

I think Meow is more "work" - getting a color match involves mixing etc,and this all adds up with $$. But I love how Meow feels on my skin like I have no makeup on even as I add layers for extra coverage.

Lumiere is a top product and so easy to apply with instant flawless results, but unfortunately I can't get a good color match in Spring/Summer...
frown.gif
I have read elsewhere that others have also mixed VV and Luminesse with great results... maybe I need to try this...

Hi Lilita,

It was actually your swatches that convinced me to try Meow. I was so disappointed that Meow requires more skill than I have (i.e. I'm bad with picking color and mixing different shades to come up with perfect tone to my skin).

With Meow offering free shipping, I'm kind of tempted to order the Naughty colors and give it another try. But I'm trying to stop myself since Lumiere is working. Let's see which side of me is going to win.

Christina,

Thanks for the tip.

It does sound a lot of work. I may be able to follow your steps when I'm not working (i.e. weekends). However, during work days I may not be able to include all your steps (on top of my clindamycin, 2% BHA, BP, and sunscreen) and not run out of time.

I did try Milk of Magnesia a while ago but for some reason I didn't like the feel of it on my face. Maybe I should try again and see.

I just recently got my Meow samples and love them! I too have oily skin and Lumiere just didn't work me...the VV looked thick and cakey on me. Meow is very light, and I use maybe 2 layers and it looks very natural...my sis the other day didn't even think I had any on! Just thought my skin was really nice! So, I'll take that! Plus, I have like 3 colors that work really well on me, Frisky korat, ocicat and abyssian...even had my sis look while we were at the zoo the other day to compare to my neck! Lumiere on the other hand, light medium golden was too light in the VV and FF, whereas luminess LMGolden was too dark, difficult color match. But I do like lumiere's E/S...Silver rose is one of my faves!

Hi OhioMom,

Now, I'm confused. It is strange that the Frisky level works for you but find Light Medium Golden in VV too light. It is the opposite for me, Frisky is too light but LM Golden is the right color. Now, I wonder whether the my Meow samplewas labeled incorrectly. But I don't think that is the case since I ordered Frisky in several shades. Curious.

Originally Posted by mauwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi OhioMom,
Now, I'm confused. It is strange that the Frisky level works for you but find Light Medium Golden in VV too light. It is the opposite for me, Frisky is too light but LM Golden is the right color. Now, I wonder whether the my Meow samplewas labeled incorrectly. But I don't think that is the case since I ordered Frisky in several shades. Curious.

I think what it may have been for me anyway, is that I think lumiere is a heavier coverage than Meow(I ordered the "cheapest" version they have) and I think it's perfect. Did you say you tried the Flawlessly Feline? That's the "Heavy" coverage one isn't it? Maybe there is variation among formulas, like lumiere with FF/VV and luminess! So, maybe if I had ordered my Meow in the FF formula, the frisky may have been too light! I just know the the LM golden in lumiere makes me look a bit washed out! But, the Frisky Korat for example looks almost perfect...my face is darker than my neck and to match my face to my neck I've realized is going to make me look really pale and washed out, so I don't try to exactly match it...neck is more yellow/olive where face is more pink/red/olive/yellow etc. But so far I think Meow in some of the friskies is HG for me...until some new mineral company comes out that everyone is loving!

OhioMom,

I guess if I try Meow again I should try Purrr-fect Puss. I don't know thinking of going through several shade to find the right one is a little daunting right now. I'll give myself a rest before trying again.

Lilita,

Since you've tried both Purrr-fect Puss and Flawless Feline, do you find PP to be less opaque? How is the coverage? I do need to cover some acne related scar.

Originally Posted by mauwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif OhioMom,I guess if I try Meow again I should try Purrr-fect Puss. I don't know thinking of going through several shade to find the right one is a little daunting right now. I'll give myself a rest before trying again.

Lilita,

Since you've tried both Purrr-fect Puss and Flawless Feline, do you find PP to be less opaque? How is the coverage? I do need to cover some acne related scar.

Mauwong,
I sampled Meow in Perfect Puss. It had good coverage for me. I have some spots from past acne. I think I had to use two (?) layers to get complete coverage from Perfect Puss. I got a great color match from Frisky Mau. Regrettably, I couldn't make it my HG. I went with two others that only required one layer for full coverage.

Hello Katnahat,

I like your motto - the play on the word "diminutive". It's like someone telling you to be brief and to a point when the word "concise" will do.

Originally Posted by mauwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello Katnahat,
I like your motto - the play on the word "diminutive". It's like someone telling you to be brief and to a point when the word "concise" will do.

Thanks!
rotfl.gif

Latest posts

Back