Help! Noticing more breakouts!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright... I've been using Monistat Anti-chaffing Gel-Powder stuff as my makeup primer for over a month. The first time I used it, it worked great. But now I've got to wear it doesn't help my MMU any at all. Now I'm noticing that my skin is breaking out more. Could the gel be irritating my skin? Has this happened to anyone else? T

he only other thing I could think of is that I've started using Lumiere foundation and veil, but I've only been wearing it for about 4 days - and my skin was starting to break out before that. That or the fact that I use lotion to moisturize my face, because I don't have any facial moisturizer. I don't know of any drugstore brands that have their own moisturizer - at least not one that I can afford anyway. But I've been using lotion as moisturizer for several months, and I haven't noticed an increase in breakouts, so I'm betting its the monistat gel.

monistat is kinda heavy so maybe thats it. I dont wear it too often because im scared it will break me out.

yeah this stuff always made me nervous to put on my face so i never tried it, i duno though, i would assume it's that.

It made me break out & it was so slippery I felt like my MMU couldn't adhere well at all, I just didn't like it at all.

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif Alright... I've been using Monistat Anti-chaffing Gel-Powder stuff as my makeup primer for over a month. The first time I used it, it worked great. But now I've got to wear it doesn't help my MMU any at all. Now I'm noticing that my skin is breaking out more. Could the gel be irritating my skin? Has this happened to anyone else? T
he only other thing I could think of is that I've started using Lumiere foundation and veil, but I've only been wearing it for about 4 days - and my skin was starting to break out before that. That or the fact that I use lotion to moisturize my face, because I don't have any facial moisturizer. I don't know of any drugstore brands that have their own moisturizer - at least not one that I can afford anyway. But I've been using lotion as moisturizer for several months, and I haven't noticed an increase in breakouts, so I'm betting its the monistat gel.

Monistat is not made for facial skin... And it feels pretty greasy too. I think it might have contributed to your breakouts....

Hmmm, I would be very skeptical of using stuff on my face that's not formulated for that specific purpose.

If you are using either the Veena Velvet or Luminesse in the Lumiere they could be your problem. Both of these contain avena sative (Oat). Organic ingredients can feed the bacteria in your pores that cause acne. I could not use these foundations because they caused me to break out.

Originally Posted by alyssaeve /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you are using either the Veena Velvet or Luminesse in the Lumiere they could be your problem. Both of these contain avena sative (Oat). Organic ingredients can feed the bacteria in your pores that cause acne. I could not use these foundations because they caused me to break out. I'm using the FF foundation, so I'm pretty sure its the primer.
Okay, so I haven't been wearing the Monistat Anti-chaffing Gel for 3-4 days now, but I'm not noticing my skin getting any clearer. I have a new pimple every day, it seems. I hope its not the lumiere... I really love it! Is there any ingfredient in it that might be causing my breakouts? Or could it perhaps be the brushes I'm using? I've been using BE's really uncomfortable brushes. =( Could that have something to do with it?

EDIT AGAIN:

Okay its been about a week now since I've stopped used the primer.. but I'm still experiencing breakouts! Is there an ingredient in Lumiere's FF that I might be having a reaction to? Maybe the boron nitride or something? I really hope not,..

I just recently picked up some Monistat Anti-Chaffing Gel to try as a primer.  I am hoping that it doesn't break me out! I have purchased Smashbox's in Light and just received in the mail today. I have never used a primer before.  I also have MAC's Prep and Prime with spf of 50 that I bought for summertime. 

So do you guys think I should try the Monistat gel before I try the Smashbox? I think I will, just b/c I want to know what/how the Monistat will work for me so I can pass on my experience to others.  As I'm sure it works great for some and not so great for others.  Then I will try the Smashbox.  From what I've heard I will love it.  Who knows, which of the three will end up being my HG.  Will have to come back and report after some time of trying these three out. Wish me luck with the Monistat, cross your fingers that I still have smooth, unblemished skin!

mark by Avon makes a great primer. It's $10 for 1 oz but it's better than most of the expensive brands.  I've tried almost all of them and have yet to find a better one.

You need a very very small amount of the monistat.  I find if I used too much that I broke out.  I transferred the contents of the tube into a pump bottle so I'd have better control of the amount. I've been using it for over a year now and no breakouts. 

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just recently picked up some Monistat Anti-Chaffing Gel to try as a primer.  I am hoping that it doesn't break me out! I have purchased Smashbox's in Light and just received in the mail today. I have never used a primer before.  I also have MAC's Prep and Prime with spf of 50 that I bought for summertime. 

So do you guys think I should try the Monistat gel before I try the Smashbox? I think I will, just b/c I want to know what/how the Monistat will work for me so I can pass on my experience to others.  As I'm sure it works great for some and not so great for others.  Then I will try the Smashbox.  From what I've heard I will love it.  Who knows, which of the three will end up being my HG.  Will have to come back and report after some time of trying these three out. Wish me luck with the Monistat, cross your fingers that I still have smooth, unblemished skin!

Back