Pressing MINERAL powders

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
  • Anyone out there have an experience to share as far as pressing mineral pigment? (I did a search but did not find info regarding MMU pressing specifically)
  • I am particularly interested in accounts about using alcohol versus witch hazel, etc.
  • Also, do you guys think it is a waste to buy Claire's palettes and toss the shadows (I hear they are bad quality). The first bigger one is $12 and the smaller one is $6.
  • Brainstorming palette ideas: altoid tins, claire's palettes, ELF, MAC, craft store, these cool things: DVD Tin, Tin Box, Metal Case, Media Packaging from Effectuality Inc.
I hope I can make this work somehow, how great for travel would it be??

I don't think mineral pigments press very well as there are no binding agents in them to hold them together once the alcohol has evaporated.

Originally Posted by momokins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  • Anyone out there have an experience to share as far as pressing mineral pigment? (I did a search but did not find info regarding MMU pressing specifically)
  • I am particularly interested in accounts about using alcohol versus witch hazel, etc.
  • Also, do you guys think it is a waste to buy Claire's palettes and toss the shadows (I hear they are bad quality). The first bigger one is $12 and the smaller one is $6.
  • Brainstorming palette ideas: altoid tins, claire's palettes, ELF, MAC, craft store, these cool things: DVD Tin, Tin Box, Metal Case, Media Packaging from Effectuality Inc.
I hope I can make this work somehow, how great for travel would it be?? I think I read in The official make your own mmu thread! sticky someone mentioned using oil as a binder...
You can also check this website out:

Make Your own Cosmetics

I wish there was a way to do this.. I would love to press my foundation and mineral veil!

I can't see the link, but I seem to recall reading using oil too. But wouldn't that shorten the shelf life of MMU since oils can go rancid? I suppose Vit E would help with that, but I think you still have to worry about adding preservatives.

yeah I'm not exactly loving the idea of using oil as a binder. I'm thinking maybe aloe, but doesn't that go bad too?

Hmmmmm

i read on a post that someone did use minerals and it did work for them its on this https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f13...nts-35007.html thread i dont know what she used but i believe her post is on the first page you might wanna ask her

Edit: i looked through it for you and its in a little farther in and it worked on some for her but not on others maybe u should try a little sample batch first

oh i'd love to be able to press mine...has anyone got this to work yet?

oh checking out the link - thanks!

I just tried this with my e/s. I don't think I would recommend it. You lose a lot of powder because it'll stick to the spoon and the container. I used 1/2 tsp of e/s and 1/4 tsp of alcohol. I wound up with a slightly larger than pea-sized finished product.

I'm wondering if this shortens shelf life. Once alcohol evaporates, what's left is water. Once water is added, then it's a free-for-all for mold, fungus, and bacteria.

water is left after the alcohol? I thought the purpose of mixing it with alcohol was to disinfect it, and nothing could grow anyways?

Maybe I'll try adding the powder and alcohol to the tin and mixing with something small like a toothpick so I don't lose it on a spoon

If you look at a bottle of rubbing alcohol, it's alcohol and water. So after alcohol's gone, then it's water that's binding the powder together.

Toothpick would be a good idea. Maybe mix it in a jar that you're going to keep it in instead of in a separate container?

i know you arent a big fan of using oil, but i heard neroli oil works well as a binder for mineral makeup. neroli oil is made from orange blossoms and is a very delicate essential oil that smells amazing. it's non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitizing, non-photo-toxic. i know a lot of natural makeup companies use this product as a binder.

and it smells divine and i KNOW you are all about that!!!

special bonus on neroli is that used for aromatherapy, it relieves tension and anxiety.

if you have to use a binder, what could be better?

EDIT:

i just read you do need a carrier oil to mix with it, so if you do, use almond oil! it's what burt's bees uses for their baby products and if its good enough for baby skin...

thanks brewgrl! I think I'll be experimenting soon. Here's my pressing pigments shopping list:

neroli oil

almond oil

witch hazel

empty little refill tins

altoid tins/palette

Did I miss anything? I'm still worried about them harboring bacteria and stuff. I guess I'll get pink eye for the sake of information.

I tried pressing with aloe and currently I am waiting for it to dry. The aloe has natural preservatives in it. We'll see.

I read from the MAC LJ community that minerals don't press very well compared to MAC pigments. But tell us how it goes with the oils mixed! (I don't think oil can introduce bacteria, can it?)

Well my aloe pressed pigment is really hard and no color will come off it. I thought it was still drying until I poked it a minute ago. Maybe putting it in the toaster oven was a bad idea. Sorry, I'll try again LOL

I'm going to try with a tiny little eucaplyptus oil because it is a natural antiseptic.

Latest posts

Back