Substitute for retin-A

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi girlz.. i have developed clogged pores and mild acne. retin-A was doing wonders to my skin. my pores had shrunk totally but sadly my friend asked me to discontinue it because im prone to broken capillaries and retin-A does just that, infact any product which contains derivative of vitamin A causes broken capillaries.

i wanna know is there any other product which gives the same results as retin-A.

The active ingredient in Retin A is Tretinoin. Before you switch to another prescription medication, google it to see if it contains Tretinoin as well.

I haven't used this med, but Differin (spelling?) is prescribed for acne. Not sure what the active ingrediant is.

A word about broken capillaries - I have been using Retin A for close to 20 years.

I don't have any broken capillaries.

Someone else posted that Retin A causes dark circles under eyes.

I am still waiting for them to post the publication that cleary states that info.

Can you please post the publication that cleary states Retin A causes broken capillaries. Thanks.

Originally Posted by cyw1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif The active ingredient in Retin A is Tretinoin. Before you switch to another prescription medication, google it to see if it contains Tretinoin as well.
I haven't used this med, but Differin (spelling?) is prescribed for acne. Not sure what the active ingrediant is.

A word about broken capillaries - I have been using Retin A for close to 20 years.

I don't have any broken capillaries.

Someone else posted that Retin A causes dark circles under eyes.

I am still waiting for them to post the publication that cleary states that info.

Can you please post the publication that cleary states Retin A causes broken capillaries. Thanks.

differin is also a retinoid which is chemically related to vitamin A. retin -A itself doesnt cause broken capillaries, but if u r prone to broken capillaries due to hereditary or other factors then retin-A aggravates ur problem!

i'd say green cream. green cream has totally saved my face & i hear it's a good alternative to retin-a.. except it's not as harsh on the skin.

Originally Posted by angel_eyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif hi girlz.. i have developed clogged pores and mild acne. retin-A was doing wonders to my skin. my pores had shrunk totally but sadly my friend asked me to discontinue it because im prone to broken capillaries and retin-A does just that, infact any product which contains derivative of vitamin A causes broken capillaries.
i wanna know is there any other product which gives the same results as retin-A.

I j-u-s-t finished reading an article on msn that has some good info. Here is the link:Overnight Beauty - Beauty & Fashion - MSN Lifestyle

Maybe it will help you find some alternative products. I was thinking of the M.D. Forte Facial Cream I. Glycolic Acid and its compounds apparently have the same benifits as Retin A.

Hope I could help some.

And if you do find an alternative, I'd love to know, so keep us posted :).

-N

What are the recommendations for using Retin-A micor during the summer? I'm out of the sun most days except when I'm walking to work or perhaps running outside. I wear daily sunscreen (with mexoryl). My friend said to use it once a week but I wanted other opinions.

You can use Retin A any time of the year.

I have read that the sun can alter the effectiveness of Tretinoin - Retin A's active ingredient. So use the Retin A at night and make sure you use lots of sunscreen during the day. As well Retin A will make you even more susceptible to the sun's rays - another reason to wear sunscreen during the day.

Before you use a moisturizer with Retin A, ask your pharmacist which brand will not reduce the effectiveness of the Tretinoin.

Originally Posted by nics1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I j-u-s-t finished reading an article on msn that has some good info. Here is the link:Overnight Beauty - Beauty & Fashion - MSN Lifestyle

Maybe it will help you find some alternative products. I was thinking of the M.D. Forte Facial Cream I. Glycolic Acid and its compounds apparently have the same benifits as Retin A.

-N

M.D. Forte Facial Cream I is really good, with glycolic acid as its chief effective compound, comparable(but not as harsh harsh as)to Retin A.Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by cyw1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif The active ingredient in Retin A is Tretinoin.

Trentinoin is Retin A.
Retin A/Tretinoin is a derivative of Vitamin A/Retinol.

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Who says Retin-A causes broken capillaries??? I'd love to know. I've used almost every retinoid on the market......even Accutane, and I do not have one broken capillary......My favorite is tazorac
Broken capillaries may be a sign of Rosacea....and they aren't caused by using topical retinoids. Increasing age, genetics, hormonal fluctuations,

pregnancy (the increase in the amount of blood in the body,causes vein enlargment), obesity, fluctuations in temperature (washing with hot water and rinsing with cold)....and the most common is....UVA damage....

While retinoids are great for acne, and treating photoaging....if you use them incorrectly they can cause inflammation (especially tretinoin). Differin and Tazorac have a mild anti-inflammatory effect, and target specific retinoid receptors.....I've always found differin and tazorac to be less irritating than retin-A micro.....

If you think you have rosacea maybe try azelaic acid (Azelex orFinacea), which reduces redness and inflammation, and also helps with acne too......

Or switch to differin, which is less irritating then retin-A.....

Oh....and stay out of the sun and wear sunscreen like your life depends on it.....they will get worse from UVA radiation......

thnx a lot for the info. i wana know if retin-A is not gona aggravate my broken capillaries..will it help it or it doesnt have any effect on it ???

hey girls..can i use a salicyclic acid face wash before applying retin-A or will it cause irritation ?

If you have not started using Retin A:

I would suggest using a gentle cleanser (Cetaphyl) with Retin A. It can take a few months to get use to Retin A's side effect(s).

Initailly, your skin may feel, dry, tight, irritated, and flaky. Don't make the initial stages worse by using a strong cleanser.

If you are currently using Retin A, and you think you need a strong cleanser, then I think it would be ok.

When you see your doctor about Retin A, make sure you ask for their opinion and trust their judgement.

Originally Posted by Carolyn /img/forum/go_quote.gif If you have not started using Retin A:I would suggest using a gentle cleanser (Cetaphyl) with Retin A. It can take a few months to get use to Retin A's side effect(s).

Initailly, your skin may feel, dry, tight, irritated, and flaky. Don't make the initial stages worse by using a strong cleanser.

If you are currently using Retin A, and you think you need a strong cleanser, then I think it would be ok.

When you see your doctor about Retin A, make sure you ask for their opinion and trust their judgement.

thnx
smile.gif

Originally Posted by mac-whore /img/forum/go_quote.gif i'd say green cream. green cream has totally saved my face & i hear it's a good alternative to retin-a.. except it's not as harsh on the skin. Green Cream? What is that? I have horrible pours....and although I love Dermalogica.....I'm ALWAYS looking for other ideas...

Latest posts

Back