Best Finishing/Setting Powder?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi ladies,

well, i'm 'hot on the trail' with a potential "Contender" foundation.
biggrin.gif
(edm's light winged butter intensive) (((big waves to ruby!!)))) still cautiously testing, tho.

but i noticed some oil breakthrough. does anyone have a rec for a good setting powder that has minimal ingredients?? no constarch (edm's fdust is out) or kaolin clay (monave's #2 is sadly out).

i noticed edm has a 'balancing powder', 'sunscreen powder' (that one sounds interesting!). anybody tried these?

any rec's for anything else out there? ideally, i want it to have a slight yellow tone to it. i'm also looking for something with a "tad bit" of glow for evening. i wonder if val's satin sun would fit that bill?? meow's glow powder has a 'no-no ingredient' in it, so i can't use that. drats!

thanks, ladies!!!! oh my.. i'm so excited!
biggrin.gif
rockwoot.gif

Meow's setting powder makes me matte, and works because I am also sensitive to cornstarch and kaolin. I actually add a little of Signature Minerals bronzer to my foundation to give it glow, it's actually about the same depth as my skin. It has mica, iron oxides, titanium dioxide.

thanks, ladies!

okay, gonna give meow's powder and edm's silk dust a try. i LOVE monave's angel, but my skin doesn't like the kaolin.
frown.gif

btw, on the edm's tinted silk dust, do you use it "under" or "over" your foundation? i love the light winged butter color, and don't want to effect it too much with the setting powder. yet, i assume the tinted is better than the 'whitening' effect of the regular silk powder?

thank you so very much!
biggrin.gif

I use the silk dust over my foundation. But I've read somewhere that some people do use it under as a primer.

Yup, the reason why I chose the tinted one is to avoid the whitening effect. I use quite alot of silk dust each time (extremely oily face), and I don't find that the tinted one changes my foundation colour at all. It just seems to smooth it out. I've tried it over Meow's FF Naughty Chartreux and EDM's warm Medium Beige + Light. But light winged butter is more yellow right? The tinted silk dust looks neutral to me, but not very yellow.

Ive been using BE Veil....I know a lot dont care for it though...I havent rried anything else

pebo wrote : "but i noticed some oil breakthrough. does anyone have a rec for a good setting powder that has minimal ingredients?? no constarch (edm's fdust is out) or kaolin clay (monave's #2 is sadly out)".

Oups, sorry, haven`t noticed that
10.gif

EDM Sunscreen Fair Handsdown is the best I've ver used!! Controls Oil and gives the added SPF30 protection!!

EDM Tinted Silk Dust is pretty Good to it has a touch of color but when you put it on it goes on transucelent...

How whitening is the pure silk dust from EDM? Is it translucent if you aren't wearing any make-up?

Leitmotiv-how dark/light is the tinted silk dust? Can you compare the color to anything else EDM has, or any other MMU product? I am trying to decide between that and the Summer silk. Thanks for any info!

pebo,

Meow's primer and finisher have boron nitride in them:

Combination Skin Primer Ingredients: Silk Powder, Mica, Boron Nitride

Oily Skin Primer Ingredients: Kaolin Clay, Silk Powder, Boron Nitride

Top Cat Finish/Setting Powder Ingredients: Silk Powder, Boron Nitride

if you are sensitive to boron nitride, you may want to avoid them. Their Glow powder only has 2 ingredients and doesn't include boron, it gives a nice translucent glow, I'm still learning to be light handed on that one! LOL

"Crystalline Cat" Glow Powder Ingredients: Mica, Titanium Dioxide

EDM Tinted Silk is the same match as Light Warm Foundation or maybe one shade darker. Don't worry tho this goes on Transucelent evens out skin tone nicely as well.

EDM Silk Dust is WHITE!! It doesn't go on transucelent as I thought it would great for paler skins. Other skins can work with this but it will Definetly lighten the foundation shade your using....

ruby, as iceboi said it goes on translucent so don't worry about major colour changes. It just smoothes out everything and looks really great! But there is a slight smell that many have commented about on MUA. I didn't notice it the first few times I opened the jar, it only started to have that smell when the powder started to clump a bit, so I guess it could be a humidity thing. Humidity is about 70-80% on average here. The smell goes away very quickly, so it's very tolerable.

iceboi, you just reminded me! I have to remember to try that sunscreen powder in my next order...

thanks piximus!

definitely need to try the glow powder! i like the minimal ingredients sans the boron nitride. thanks so much for the heads up!
biggrin.gif

leitmotiv: thanks for the info re: the edm tinted silk powder. i'm thinking of trying that one, too. i, too was concerned about the 'tint' changing the color of the foundation, but sounds like it won't be a problem. phew! btw, do you wear the silk powder UNDER or OVER your foundation?

i wanna try the tinted sunscreen powder, too. i emailed them in an effort to add it to my order, i hope they can! i wasn't able to get the may discount, my code just wouldn't work.
frown.gif
oh well. fortunately, it wasn't a huge order, so it doesn't add up to that much.

thanks again so much for your help, ladies!
smile.gif

pebo, I wear it over foundation. After applying Meow or EDM's foundation, the coverage is there but it just doesn't look right until I top it off with the silk dust. It's now an absolute essential for me!

oh, i MUST try this now!!! thanks for the rec. now, gotta figure a way to get them to add it to my existing order!
wink.gif
one can always hope!
biggrin.gif

thanks again!

Thank you leitmotiv and iceboi for the info on EDM's tinted silk powder. Sounds like a "must-have" for sure!

hey ruby!

i was just gonna pm you re: this issue.

emailed edm re: the tinted silk dust and the tinted ss powders. got a quick response from edm (great customer service so far! yay!) and they said:

The summer silk dust will add some color... it's like a medium bronzer.

What

you probably need is a "light" version, but we don't have that yet!

The tinted

will be a bit lighter than your foundation, but the summer will be

darker.

i'm still a bit torn re: the tinted silk powder. iceboi mentioned that it's similar to or a shade darker than 'light warm'. in the past, light warm turned a bit orangey on me. hence, my LOVE of light winged butter's 'yellow-ness'.
wink.gif
i emailed edm to ask re: that as well. (boy, are they being tolerant and patient with all my questions!)

i'm not sure how edm's tinted silk dust compares to lumiere's 'silk sand' silk powder in terms of color and wear. but in my 'silk frenzy'...i've ordered lumiere's silk sand, too!
wink.gif
(Yup, outta control, allrighty! lol)

i also asked about the ss powder colors. when i hear back, i'll post for anyone interested.

i must say, so far i'm really impressed with edm's customer service. the site is a bit frustrating.. descriptions, navigational issues. but so far, their email responses and patience are commendable!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back