American Idol Jordin Sparks: Obese?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't believe this lady!!!

Jordin Sparks may be carrying some extra weight, but she is by no means obese! She's a tall girl, and I think she is probably going to be healthiest at the weight she is now! I think if she ends up losing (or gaining) weight, that it probably won't be healthy for her.

This is so sad...

I thought being obese ment being like 600 or more pounds?

That kind of people make people go anorexic. Jordin isn't even fat. She just has a little extra weight. I laugh when she was saying the obese new pop stars are making a wrong inpression on teens. Looking at Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan makes me want to stop eating so I won't gain weight yet looking at Jordin makes me think nothing of food. The "obese" new pop stars don't make me eat less or more so I don't see how they leave wrong impressions on teens. Plus seeing the "obese" pop stars makes me think there is actually hope for bigger people to make it in the entertainment buissness.

I miss the days when if you were fat you were rich. Junk food ain't free. One meal can cost $5-$6 lol.

what???

Fat? i dont see anything wrong with her weight at all!!

what are they talking about?

i dont know what is wrong with the media nowadays seriously, wanting all women to be 100 pounds no matter what your height is, your weight should be accoring to your height not the society standards, not everyone can look bony and skeletal as a model, to me she couldnt look any healthier, plus, she is really young, and she is supposed to still have some baby fat.

I think they should stop trying to make ppl believe that if you don't fit into the model prototype then you dont look good. This is seriously ridiculous.

Wow.. I seriously was not expecting that.. that's ridiculous

When I look at Jordin I definately don't see obesity.. she looks healthy, fresh and beautiful to me..

I seriously hope she just ignores this.. Everyone has different genes and bodies, and she seems in fine proportion to me
smile.gif

She's an athletic girl too! doesn't she play football or something?

WTF?? Jordin is still by all means a child to me.She will lose it if needed.In my opinion she is beautiful and very healthy.Oh I hope she doesnt see that news clip. Bless her!

omg.....that lady is a biatch...who da heck she thinks she is....>.< Jordin is fine the way she is....

OMG, that's outrageous! She is not ONE BIT obese! She looks absolutely fine to me, that dumb lady has no idea what she's talking about! She sees diabetes and heart disease when she looks at her?! WTF?! That is one of the stupidest discussions I've seen on TV, and I am outraged by it. She's basically telling girls they need to be anorexic in today's society.

Originally Posted by SuddenRush /img/forum/go_quote.gif I thought being obese ment being like 600 or more pounds?
That kind of people make people go anorexic. Jordin isn't even fat. She just has a little extra weight. I laugh when she was saying the obese new pop stars are making a wrong inpression on teens. Looking at Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan makes me want to stop eating so I won't gain weight yet looking at Jordin makes me think nothing of food. The "obese" new pop stars don't make me eat less or more so I don't see how they leave wrong impressions on teens. Plus seeing the "obese" pop stars makes me think there is actually hope for bigger people to make it in the entertainment buissness.

I miss the days when if you were fat you were rich. Junk food ain't free. One meal can cost $5-$6 lol.

i think they consider people who are 100lbs or more obese not 600i didnt think she was that overweight either BUT if they can ban size 0 models then i can see them doing this too... you cant have double standards or can you??

Originally Posted by natalierb /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG, that's outrageous! She is not ONE BIT obese! She looks absolutely fine to me, that dumb lady has no idea what she's talking about! She sees diabetes and heart disease when she looks at her?! WTF?! That is one of the stupidest discussions I've seen on TV, and I am outraged by it. She's basically telling girls they need to be anorexic in today's society. what does someone with heart diease or diabetes look like to you?? you dont have to be that overweight to have those diease..

figure1.jpg

BMI measures weight in relation to height. The BMI ranges shown above are for adults. They are not exact ranges of healthy and unhealthy weights. However, they show that health risk increases at higher levels of overweight and obesity. Even within the healthy BMI range, weight gains can carry health risks for adults.

Directions: Find your weight on the bottom of the graph. Go straight up from that point until you come to the line that matches your height. Then look to find your weight group.

Healthy Weight BMI from 18.5 up to 25 refers to a healthy weight.

Overweight BMI from 25 up to 30 refers to overweight.

Obese BMI 30 or higher refers to obesity. Obese persons are also overweight.

Source: Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2000

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif http://www.fda.gov/hearthealth/lifestyles/figure1.jpg
BMI measures weight in relation to height. The BMI ranges shown above are for adults. They are not exact ranges of healthy and unhealthy weights. However, they show that health risk increases at higher levels of overweight and obesity. Even within the healthy BMI range, weight gains can carry health risks for adults.

Directions: Find your weight on the bottom of the graph. Go straight up from that point until you come to the line that matches your height. Then look to find your weight group.

Healthy Weight BMI from 18.5 up to 25 refers to a healthy weight.

Overweight BMI from 25 up to 30 refers to overweight.

Obese BMI 30 or higher refers to obesity. Obese persons are also overweight.

Source: Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2000

I am actually working on a paper to show how BMI is a poor predictor of body fatness.
smile.gif
LOL (No offense Mari!). The problem with the BMI is that it fails to differentiate fat from lean muscle mass. Therefore a person who is heavy because he/she has a lot of muscle would fall in the overweight category based on BMI alone. I'm actually one of them, my BMI is probably around 26-27, and even though I do carry some extra fat pounds, just my lean weight (muscle, bone and water) is over 135 pounds. Now if you look at most celebrities that are 5'7'' like I am, most of them will weight 120 pounds or less of TOTAL weight (lean+ fat), which is a shame!

Originally Posted by Thais /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am actually working on a paper to show how BMI is a poor predictor of body fatness.
smile.gif
LOL (No offense Mari!). The problem with the BMI is that it fails to differentiate fat from lean muscle mass. Therefore a person who is heavy because he/she has a lot of muscle would fall in the overweight category based on BMI alone. I'm actually one of them, my BMI is probably around 26-27, and even though I do carry some extra fat pounds, just my lean weight (muscle, bone and water) is over 135 pounds. Now if you look at most celebrities that are 5'7'' like I am, most of them will weight 120 pounds or less of TOTAL weight (lean+ fat), which is a shame! None taken. I got that from the FDA site.

This is so ridiculous!! Jordin looks so good in her current weight plus she's already tall to begin with!!

wow, she's delusional!

the sad thing is that woman may be right about one thing: that the producers of American Idol will likely put the pressure on Jordin to lose weight in the coming months. seems like they did that with Carrie Underwood, Catherine Mcphee and Kelly Clarkson....

I think the only person that can judge Jordin is Jordin.

I am beyond tired of hearing one person judging another, and deciding if weight loss is required.

I'm not saying that we can't have opinions.

I am saying that we need to start keeping our opinions to ourselves.

Originally Posted by Thais /img/forum/go_quote.gif I am actually working on a paper to show how BMI is a poor predictor of body fatness.
smile.gif
LOL (No offense Mari!). The problem with the BMI is that it fails to differentiate fat from lean muscle mass. Therefore a person who is heavy because he/she has a lot of muscle would fall in the overweight category based on BMI alone. I'm actually one of them, my BMI is probably around 26-27, and even though I do carry some extra fat pounds, just my lean weight (muscle, bone and water) is over 135 pounds. Now if you look at most celebrities that are 5'7'' like I am, most of them will weight 120 pounds or less of TOTAL weight (lean+ fat), which is a shame! Totally off topic, but cool work! I love research papers!
marchmellow.gif
marchmellow.gif
marchmellow.gif

Originally Posted by kittenmittens /img/forum/go_quote.gif wow, she's delusional!the sad thing is that woman may be right about one thing: that the producers of American Idol will likely put the pressure on Jordin to lose weight in the coming months. seems like they did that with Carrie Underwood, Catherine Mcphee and Kelly Clarkson....

I think she will be so busy that she may drop some weight unintentionally

Back