Do you wash your brushes before using them the first time?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never have & believe me, I've been using makeup/mmu for years and years
rotfl.gif
. Yesterday I grabbed several brushes including a newer Glo Minerals that I'd won in a basket of their goodies. I'd only used it 2 or 3 times but as long as I was washing I took it with the others. I could not believe the gray-ish black color that was coming out of it, I needed to lather it up several times until it finally came clean. I need synthetic brushes (Suggestions please!!!) due to allergic reactions towards animal hair brushes. I picked one up at Ulta and for the heck of it washed it when I got home and guess what, the same thing happened - gross!!! Do you always wash your brushes b/4 first using them or is this only w/synthetic brushes? No wonder none of the samples I was trying looked good!!!

I highly recommend Lumiere's synthetic brushes. The flat top and long handled kabuki are top notch and only $16 each (plus $1.95 insurance per brush order-ie if you order more than one brush it is still only $1.95). They are soft and dense and no shedding at all. And yes I always wash new brushes before using them (just like clothes!)

I have only seen that black/blue stuff come out of natural hair brushes. I think it is dye. I believe they dye them so they have a uniform color. I have never had anything come out of synthetics.

Check out Forever Female ...because we are! Make Up Brushes Mirrors Lingerie Jewelry they have several synthetic brushes. I have the synthetic flat top. It is an awesome brush. Another great brush is the Aubrey Nicole or Lumiere kabuki. They sell the same brush. The Lumiere is cheaper. This is the best kabuki. The very best brush, IMO, for MMU application is the flat top. It gives the best coverage ever!!

There are a few threads about brushes on here. Do a search for synthetic brushes and you can read tons of info! I'm sure you will get some great comments from the other members about their favorite brushs too.

Originally Posted by fickledpink /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yep I always wash them before I use them, when they are new and after use Same here
smile.gif

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometime i do and sometimes i dont. same here

I used to not wash new brushes, but after I washed my bareminerals flawless face brush, I saw such a difference in application, that I think they're meant to be washed before being used.

I'd go for synthetic bristles that aren't dyed black. A lot that I've seen are brownish [like Lumiere's brushes], they won't bleed dye when you wash them at all. In fact my Lumiere kabuki brush hasn't even shed since I got it months ago, and it's been washed may times. Oh, and to answer your question, I do wash my brushes before I use them the first time
smile.gif

I always wash my new brushes before using them. You never know what might be left on them from the manufacturing process.

Back