Sable Hair brushes--reactions?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I've been using the sable hair brushes (kabuki, flat top, blush brush, & fan brush) from EDM & I am starting to think it might be the cause of my bad complexion.

Has anyone else had problems with sable brushes??

One of my brushes is goat/sable blend. By eliminating it, I found out that it was causing my face to itch. It didn't give me bad complexion though. As long as I wash my brushes at least every 2 weeks, I don't get breakouts.

I used to wash my brushes about once a week, but since I was breaking out I decided to wash them every day & my breakouts actually got worse then. I am using johnson's head to toe baby wash to wash my brushes & I wash my face with this often with no issues, so I know it's not that...............

you must be allergic. almost all of my brushes (pro and personal) are sable and never had any issues

I'm VERY sensitive to a lot of things, especially on my face, if I had known those were animal hair brushes I never would've even tried them, I would've figured I would be allergic, but I honestly had no clue there was an animal called a sable.

Yeah, sable is a 'cousin' of that animal they use to make fur coats (don't remember the name right now)

For me, I have no problems with sable, but my face turns lobster red and starts itching everytime I use my goat hair kabuki, which is a shame as it's a lovely, soft kabuki.

Originally Posted by lia_matos /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, sable is a 'cousin' of that animal they use to make fur coats (don't remember the name right now) mink, right?

I hear that sables have a horrible problem with those brushes
laughing.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it... I'm tired and punchy!

Originally Posted by sixxmum /img/forum/go_quote.gif I hear that sables have a horrible problem with those brushes
laughing.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it... I'm tired and punchy!

LOL, thanks for the laugh!!

hmmm.. I've never heard of brushes doing this to the complexion.

Maybe its the face wash? Does it have sodium laureth sulfate in it?

Here is a link on the sodium laureth sulfate. It does indicate it can cause flares or worsen preexisting problems in those with acne, eczema etc. (see Effects on Sensitive Skin)

Sodium laureth sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by camelliarose /img/forum/go_quote.gif hmmm.. I've never heard of brushes doing this to the complexion.Maybe its the face wash? Does it have sodium laureth sulfate in it?

Yea it does Lisa! Its really not just hype, but once you are sensitive to SLS, you can't use it in anything or it can cause issues. If I use on my face, I'll break out, on my scalp in shampoos.. will cause really bad dermatitis.. on my body I'll break out in a rash!

I have eczema & I get contact dermatitus myself. It is awful to be so sensitive.

Originally Posted by camelliarose /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yea it does Lisa! Its really not just hype, but once you are sensitive to SLS, you can't use it in anything or it can cause issues. If I use on my face, I'll break out, on my scalp in shampoos.. will cause really bad dermatitis.. on my body I'll break out in a rash!

Originally Posted by LisaLu /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have eczema & I get contact dermatitus myself. It is awful to be so sensitive. Ugh it sucks doesn't it
frown.gif

Originally Posted by fishchick72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif mink, right? Yeah! Maybe you should give a try on synthetic brushes - there's several on the market, and people around here says that the Lumiere one is very good.

I have EDM's white sable kabuki and it makes my face itch quite a bit. I don't think I ever broke out in full blown zits from it, but I did get little red dots and patches which looked like irritation to me
frown.gif
I really prefer synthetics, any animal hair brush I use "tickles" my face... and not in a good way, LOL. So annoying. But those sables are pretty cute
wink.gif
They look like this:

250px-Sable.gif

Anyway, I'd suggest you try synthetics, maybe that would help. I love my Lumiere kabuki, I really don't think anyone could go wrong with that brush.

Originally Posted by camelliarose /img/forum/go_quote.gif hmmm.. I've never heard of brushes doing this to the complexion.Maybe its the face wash? Does it have sodium laureth sulfate in it?

it is definitely not the face wash, I've been washing my face with it for years with no problems at all, I thought I already said that, but maybe I forgot..........

Normally if I do break out it's cystic acne & this is not, these are fluid filled pustules & when they burst it's SUPER painful, I know it sounds a little like cystic acne when I describe it, but it's truly not, it's very different. That's what was making me think it's an allergic reaction.

Do you have any moisturizers or other things you put on your face that are becoming old? Oils are notorious for going rancid quickly. If you use pure oils without vitamin E, the shelf life is probably only a few months, some are days.

Latest posts

Back