I can't curl my eyelashes...! :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I don't know what's wrong with my eyes or my lashes but I can never curl them properly or to make the curl to last longer than 2 minutes. My lashes are long, but I'm not sure if it's because of my technique or I just have the weirdest eye shape that I always get pitched by all the eyelash curlers that I have. I've bought both eyelash curlers from Shu Uemura and Shiseido and it doesn't seem like they're make any difference to my stubborn eyelashes either.

I also tried to use those heated lash curler but it took forever to get the work done, and once I apply the mascara, my lashes went back to stick straight and flat. I don't think it's the mascara that I used which weighted down my lashes though. I use Bobbi Brown's everything mascara and I only use one coat. What else can I do to curl my lashes?
scared.gif

P.S. I have round eyes.

Me too! I think I just don't know how, but I do it like everyone else, so I don't know what could possibly be wrong. I use Shu's. I was going to suggest the heated curler, but if you already tried that, I don't know what else you can use. hhmm... I need to look in my bobbi brown book.

see i have the opposite problem when i curl my lashes they like bend backwrds.

curl your lashes then try two coats of mascara if its not weighing down your lashes.

I also have round eyes and I find it very hard to curl my lashes without pinching my skin or if I don't pinch the skin they just don't curl anyway. I think it's the shape of my eyes. I don't believe it's mascara because I have tried to do this without even using mascara afterward and my eyelashes didn't curl. It makes me pretty angry lol.

Ellen Marie

I read somewhere that someone would only use waterproof mascara because only that will keep their curl. Good luck!

Originally Posted by mtgirl118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I also have round eyes and I find it very hard to curl my lashes without pinching my skin or if I don't pinch the skin they just don't curl anyway. I think it's the shape of my eyes. I don't believe it's mascara because I have tried to do this without even using mascara afterward and my eyelashes didn't curl. It makes me pretty angry lol.
Ellen Marie

wow, i'm glad to know that i'm not the only one out there who struggled with using the eyelash curlers. that's the exact problem i'm having and i think i've lost a lot of brain cells while trying to figure out how to get my lashes to curl in a nice, natural way. it's so frustrating~
banghead.gif

It is frustrating. I think eyelash curlers are made for more of an oval eye...therefore when us "round eye girls" (sung to the tune of brown eyed girl LOL) try to use them it's more difficult.

Of course that's only my opinion =].

Ellen Marie

The thing I've found most effective is heating my curler with a hairdryer, and then following with mascara, IMMEDIATELY afterward. I think that rounder eyes would require a lash curler that had more of an angle on it, a rounder curve... It seems to me that lash curlers are the wrong shape for very round eyes, and probably just flatten the lashes out... Maybe we should search for some that have a sharper angle, for our round eyed girls?

I got the same exact problem!!!

nothing really worked for me. I figured how to make the curl last longer.. but not really last all night
frown.gif

when i curl my lashes i dont curl in one place, i do it all along the lash

i also put mascara on both sides of lashes, this way mascara wont weigh down the lashes

heating the eyelash curler also helps

I was born with ridiculously straight lashes, here's what works for me..

Waterproof mascara.

Curl your lashes with whatever it is you curl them with, then apply the blotted (or whatever else you do to take excess mascara off the wand) waterproof mascara at the base of your lashes, let dry a little. Then you can go back and apply to the rest if you wish.

Originally Posted by MariVee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was born with ridiculously straight lashes, here's what works for me..
Waterproof mascara.

Curl your lashes with whatever it is you curl them with, then apply the blotted (or whatever else you do to take excess mascara off the wand) waterproof mascara at the base of your lashes, let dry a little. Then you can go back and apply to the rest if you wish.

Neat trick.
rotfl.gif
Whenever I curl mine, for some reason I never get to grab all the hairs....LOL

Originally Posted by Kemper /img/forum/go_quote.gif The thing I've found most effective is heating my curler with a hairdryer, and then following with mascara, IMMEDIATELY afterward. I think that rounder eyes would require a lash curler that had more of an angle on it, a rounder curve... It seems to me that lash curlers are the wrong shape for very round eyes, and probably just flatten the lashes out... Maybe we should search for some that have a sharper angle, for our round eyed girls? That's exactly what we need. A eyelash curler with a sharper angle. That would solve our problems =]. If anyone sees one pleeeeease put it in this thread.
Ellen Marie

I was going to suggest Shu Uemura, but I see you have used it too. Mine are stick straight and I have round eyes, plus they are big, so finding on that fits the entire lash line has been a problem. Luckily my mom had the same problem and taught me to curl my eyelashes with the edge of a spoon...have you heard or seen that? It basically is the same principle as curling ribbon, the head of the spoon is used along the edge, just like you would curl ribbon with scissors. That is how I started, now I use Shu Uemura eyelash curler to start the bend (I could never "walk" the curler) and finish the curl with my handy spoon and yes, I've been using the same spoon since I was about 17 or so. I'm old so, it's thinner on the side I've used for so many years. I have 2 other sisters and they do the same thing. You might want to try it.

Rizzie X3, I forgot to tell you, I love your Puss N Boots!! He looks like my kitty! Soo cute.

I have this same exact problem and it has been frustrating the crap out of me lately. I don't remember my lashes always falling so flat when I used a regular mascara. I have large round eyes and curling them is a pain. My lashes are long and thin and I always have a problem fitting them all into the curler at once so the outside ones are usually bent.

I don't know when my lashes decided to make my makeup routine more difficult but it seems like no matter what regular mascara I try, they fall flat. I have been using waterproof mascara for a while now but this leads to other problems. The first one being, finding a good eye makeup remover that removes all of the waterproof makeup! The second one is that some waterproof mascaras are too harsh and make bits of my lashes fall out.

I have been using CG Lash Exact Waterpoof and this is okay.

I just bought L'Oreal Voluminous Waterproof yesterday as I have used this many years ago.

The best I remember is Maybelline in a really fat tube...volume something...but I think that was the one that was too harsh for everyday use. The regular one is crap...I tried it the other day and it made them fall flat.

i know in japan they have all different shapes and sizes of curlers. there is this one which is very small, so you curl maybe a third/quarter of your lashes at once, which makes it useful if you have different shaped eyes that don't fit the regular curlers. maybe try ebay? or look up japanese sites...

also the hairdryer trick is supposed to be really good.

try to get a heated culer, it usually holds a curl better. also, try using a mascara base. use the curler lightly curl it after the first coat completely ( i mean completely) dry, at this point, you lashes might be straight again, right?that's when you curl and put on the final coat of mascara. it's the only way for me. Or you go to a waterproof mascara and that usually hold a curl no matter what.

use a heated curler, use on DRY CLEAN lashes, and curl the lashes a few times, working your way from root to top. apply a curling mascara straight after as lashes will still be hot and set with the mascara.

My eyelashes grow straight outwards so though they are decent thickness you really can't see them unless I curl them. And I do have a round shaped eye as opposed to a oval, I can curl them fine but I know others have a hard time curling my lashes w/o pinching my lid. OUCH!!

I would suggest that 1st make sure your lashes are clean w/o any mascara and then when you do catch them with the curler make sure that it isn't just the tips but right to the base of the lash. Hold down for about 15 sec. and then before you curl the next eye apply mascara. Sometimes its just a matter of practice.

IF you really are getting frustrated I would also suggest looking into eyelash extensions - they are AWESOME... but that maybe a topic for another thread
smile.gif

I had the same exact problem, until I discovered waterproof mascara, trust me, it will keep them nice and curly!

Back