MMU with Heaviest Coverage?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Although I'm an African-American woman, I think this question would apply to many with skin/acne problems.

I have a lot of acne scarring (mostly hyperpigmentation) and need MMU that has very heavy coverage.

I've only tried a few (Monave and Milan), mainly due to color choices, but I've found that Monave has had the heaviest coverage (plain foundation).

My only problem is that I'm on a budget and Monave is slightly pricey.

Are there any other recommendations of other MMU that have extremely heavy coverage?

I've thought about trying Meow FF, but I'm afraid the coverage won't be there because of the mixed reviews I've read regarding coverage.

I don't like sampling a lot of different MMUs, so I'm trying to narrow things down.

Any recs?

That's a tough question to answer... I think maybe you should wait a bit longer,save a little money and invest on Monave. Although you say you're a bit on a budget, you won't spend money sampling or buying new foundations ... And plus, mineral foundations are supposed to last for a long time (average 6 months with daily usage).

But other than that i cannot provide any other advice

Originally Posted by lia_matos /img/forum/go_quote.gif That's a tough question to answer... I think maybe you should wait a bit longer,save a little money and invest on Monave. Although you say you're a bit on a budget, you won't spend money sampling or buying new foundations ... And plus, mineral foundations are supposed to last for a long time (average 6 months with daily usage).
But other than that i cannot provide any other advice

i agree

I have tried many of the MM brands and my thoughts for the heaviest coverage are

Cory cosmetics, very reasonable for samples. Super heavy coverage.

Melange is another for heavy coverage. I dont know how their sample prices work, but might be worth trying. Pure Lux is a med/heavy coverage with decent pricing for samples. barefaced Minerals has a Velvet Glove, and Velvet Plush. One is super heavey coverage. I use bfM in the Velvet Matte. It is my HG for color and coverage a light/med coverage.

HTH!!!

Renee

Melange has very heavy coverage too. They have several sized jars available and I think their biggest one is about $21. Mineral Boutique has a heavy coverage formula called Cover it. Also, Everyday Minerals has 4 formulas and their intensive is heavy coverage. They are quite inexpensive, especially when you buy their kits. I have also heard that Cory and Buff'd have heavy coverage formulas as well. All of these companies will be in the mineral sites sticky. Hope this helps!

You are right about the sampling.......it does become a pain and quite expensive however like the other girls said I would stick to using Monave. Afterall, they claim they make MMU for women of colour I assume their formulations are suitable for your skin type as well.
smile.gif
Regarding Meow I've read reviews stating that their Flawless Feline isn't that great on coverage. It all depends on what you're looking for in the coverage. HTH

Good luck.

any reviews on Cory Cosmetic? ( mineral makeup brand) Im interesting trying it.

There are probably reviews of Cory over on Delphi's Mineral Makeup Mania (MMM) Forum.

I was unable to invest in mineral makeup, because I had their makeover that did not cover a dark scar that I have on my face. They used their concealer and everything in their line, but it just didn't hide it. I am continuing to use Bobbi Brown concealer and liquid oil free makeup (for the summer) with finishing powder on top, to get the coverage that I need.. Go with work works until you can get the cash together to get what you want..

I know that you asked for MMU recommendations, but I wanted to take the opportunity to suggest not wearing foundation at all *gasp*! I also had terrible acne scarring (mostly from picking *hanging my head in shame*) and after trying for years to find something that would 1) hide it 2) look relatively natural 3) not rub off, I quit. I no longer wear foundation, bad skin be damned. It clogged up my pores and caused me more stress than relief anyway.

Since then I've tried tons of skin care products/lines over the years but have had the best results from Clinique facial cleanser, occasional toner, and Neutrogena's Visibly Even moisturizer. This routine has helped me achieve a relatively uniform complexion, although far from perfect/flawless, with a natural glow and very few breakouts. Accepting the skin I'm in has been the biggest achievement. I can look in the mirror and see a beautiful woman without a stitch of makeup.

HTH

Originally Posted by Micki /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know that you asked for MMU recommendations, but I wanted to take the opportunity to suggest not wearing foundation at all *gasp*! It clogged up my pores and caused me more stress than relief anyway. Accepting the skin I'm in has been the biggest achievement. I can look in the mirror and see a beautiful woman without a stitch of makeup. HTH Hooray for you! My sister too, made this same choice after many years of trial and error. She wears blushes, lipglosses, and shadows for dressing up--but no foundation ever. Also, I was shocked to learn that she can only wash her face with hot water--no soaps, creams, nothing! She has done this for over 10yrs. and her skin is beautiful. Ultimately, whatever works, works!! That's what I like about the diversity of approaches here. Everybody is looking for and doing what's good for them! The ultimate beauty is health--skin, hair, mental, body, spiritual, etc. Do you! I'm glad you have a good solution for your situation..

Thanks everyone for checking in and providing your advice.

Candace: I tried the wet application with my Milan sample today (Jaylyn), and it does look better. But, still not quite as much coverage as I would like.

XKrissyX: I searched for some reviews on Cory cosmetics on this forum and found that although they may have heavy coverage, that the foundation has a "smoker" smell and they have serious customer service issues. Try a search for yourself if you like.

Micki: I completely agree with you to a certain extent. In general, I don't wear makeup. I usually only wear it to work or special occasions. At home, or on weekends, I usually don't wear makeup. I have accepted the type of skin that I have, especially since there is not that much I can do to change it. My acne is genetic (my mother is in her mid 50s and still breaks out, as well as, my younger brother and sister). The only thing I can do relative to my acne is maintain it, so therefore, I've accepted my skin. I just want to be able to have some remanence have smooth skin.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Keep it coming.

Originally Posted by SewAmazing /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was unable to invest in mineral makeup, because I had their makeover that did not cover a dark scar that I have on my face. They used their concealer and everything in their line, but it just didn't hide it. I am continuing to use Bobbi Brown concealer and liquid oil free makeup (for the summer) with finishing powder on top, to get the coverage that I need.. Go with work works until you can get the cash together to get what you want.. You gave me a good idea for a suggestion - why don't you use a regular concealer with the mineral makeup? It works as well as only mineral makeup. Thais uses a MAC concealer to cover her undereye circles and the mineral foundation on the rest of her face.

Originally Posted by lia_matos /img/forum/go_quote.gif You gave me a good idea for a suggestion - why don't you use a regular concealer with the mineral makeup? It works as well as only mineral makeup. I thought this was a good idea too, until I realized that I need a little more substantial coverage in general than MMU can offer. I don't have all over even skin tone. Mineral doesn't really suit itself for that. I put the mineral over my BB concealer, after theirs didn't work--and it didn't even cover that too well. Guess I'll need spackle soon..

my skin has quit breaking out completely since using MMU,I know monave is pricey but it covers like crazy...and thats just the regular formula

i use meow FF and i like it. i add in concealer for extra coverage.

i've tried lumiere, alima EDM, lumiere breaks me out, the coverage is not bad though

Melange have recently launched a new formula for oily/acne prone skin which contains kaolin clay.

It provides really good coverage with minimal powder. It isnt chalky like Meow and blends in well.

Consider doing your own MMU - it was much easier than I expected and you can tweak the formula to get more coverage. I made mine based on a formula for concealer and it works better than any MMU I've tried. Very fine Zinc Oxide is key to coverage and is very gentle on the skin. Alternatively, if you are confident about mixing colors, you can add Zinc Oxide to Meow's FF in a much darker shade than your own skintone and the white ZnO will bring the foundation closer to your own color. I not only made mine but improved on all the existing tubs of MMU I have by adding silk powder, Boron Nitride, silicone microspheres and Zinc Oxide to them, then tweak the final color by adding yellow and brown oxides.

The 2 that have worked the best for me are EDM Intensive & Lumiere Veena Velvet.

About wet app - - I knew I had found my HG MMU (actually a couple) once I could apply it wet or dry & it looked the same both ways.

- - - You are using a kabuki right? Just wanted to make sure- when I started with minerals I used a powder brush & once I got my kabuki the change was HUGE.

Back