20's Flapper Girl Tutorial.....by Benebaby

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Moving on to another installment of my Beauty through Time tutorials. This time I am focusing on the makeup trends of the 1920's.

Makeup in the 20's went the complete opposite of the Victorian feminine looks. Hair was cut short and made sleek. Brows were feircely arched and eyes were heavily rimmed in kohl. The most recognizable makeup trend of the 20's is the perfectly outlined, red, bee-stung lips.

Step 1: Foundation. The Flapper Girl was all about illusion. Silent Screen stars packed on more makeup than ever to appear flawless on the Silver Screen.

I used the MAC 180 brush to blend MAC Studio Fix Fluid all over.

Step1-1.jpg

Step 2: Eyes were very important. The idea was to look soulful and mysterious. Cosmetics from Asia and India became popular at this time. Lot's of eyeliner!!!

I prepped my eyes with Benefit Highbrow under the arch of my brow. I then put a little Urban Decay Primer Potion on the lid.

Step2-1.jpg

Here's the prepped eye....

step3.jpg

The Tools I used for my eyes are.... MAC 224, MAC 242 and MAC 219

step4.jpg

Shadows I used are Benefit "Groundhog Day" and MAC Embark

step5.jpg

Pack the Groundhog Day all over the lid with the 242 brush. Then take the 224 and blend the Groundhog Day up into the crease. It should like like this...

step6.jpg

Next take the 224 brush and dip it into MAC Embark shadow. Blend the Embark into the outer crease of the eye.

step7.jpg

Take the 219 brush and dip it into Embark. Smudge the Embark underneath the lower lashes. Now take the 224 and use it to soften the line.

step8.jpg

I used Ardell lashes.....

step9.jpg

and my Sephora Lash Placement Tool. The glue is by DUO. I placed the lashes in the tool, applied the glue and waited 30 seconds. After that I pressed the tool with the lashes into my lashline.

step10.jpg

step12.jpg

Next I used MAC Blacktrack to line the inner rims. I also applied Maybelline Lash Stylist Mascara.

step11.jpg

Step 3: Cheeks. This look is more about contouring to give the appearance of high, exotic cheekbones.

I used Benefit "You're Getting Warmer". It is a matte peachy brown.

step13.jpg

This is where I applied it. More towards the hollows of the cheeks, staying away from the apples of the cheeks. To find the hollows, suck your cheeks in!!

step14.jpg

Step 4: Lips!!! Teeny-Tiny Bee-stung lips were the trend. Rich reds, browns and purples were popular colors.

I used... Benefit LipPLump, MaryKay Brown Liner and DVF lipstick in Silent Star.

step15.jpg

The LipPlump is used as a base to erase the lip line. Smear a dab on you finger...this much....

step16.jpg

PAT the LipPLump into the lips until they are nude. Let it dry for 30 seconds.

step17.jpg

Line lips INSIDE the natural lipline with liner. Fill in the lips with lipstick. You should try to make your lips smaller than they really are.

And here it is........Flapper Girl!!

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

doneeyesclosed.jpg

doneeyesopen.jpg

lol that looks awesome.

You look soo much like one of my friends with that wig on. It freaked me out, how similar you look! she has lashes that are like that naturally. What a biatch!

I really like this look too. Can't wait til the next beauty thru time installment!!!

i was soooo excited to see the next tut from you! and yes, i'm even more excited to try it!!! i dont have fake lashes =[ but, i can certainly do the other parts. i'll have to look for some more matte shadows in my case. ooooooh. i'm soo excited! this was a great tut! and you explain sooooo great!

*anxiously awating your next tut ...*

I'm amazed at how much depth you got out or using only 2 shadows! That certainly inspires me to work on my blending.

Back