How much truth in mmu....

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i want to know how much is the true abut each mmu company claims and their ingredients list " e.g. xyz mmu company list that ourfoundation contain mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, ultramarine blue, May Contain: zinc oxide....and we dont use The ingredients like: dyes, lakes, carmine, synthetic fragrance, talc, bismuth oxychloride, petroleum derivatives, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, methylparaben, propylparaben, UREA, and others."

so how i or we trust that the info and the ingredient list is true, is there anything which gives this claim a proof, any approval or certificates?????

Although you will not know, I will say though that it is the same with traditional cosmetic industry since it is not highly regulated, unless, of course, it is one of the product that requires approval (ie. sunscreen which must go through some testing).

wow, thats something i didnt really think of, i jus assumed that what they say is what goes into my jar...

i'd stick with popular companies to be on the 'safe' side

Well I guess there's not much way to be sure, but I think by law they are required to list all the ingredients on the label of the product. Maybe I'm too trustworthy, but I just go by what the company says is in the product... I still have some faith in the integrity of people
smile.gif

traditional high end makeup like mac, ud, loreal, lura merciear, shiseido,chanel, dior & so on for sure go through the license procedure.......but wat about local handmade mmu????(plz dont take me wrong, i am not here to hurt anyone, just want to know the truth... that wat is labeled on my jar, is that inside my jar?)

i do have faith in people but wen it comes to business!!!!!cant really say....i like this lines from recent movie 'Italian Job'..... "i trust people but dont trust devil inside them"
vogel.gif

Originally Posted by rejectstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well I guess there's not much way to be sure, but I think by law they are required to list all the ingredients on the label of the product. Maybe I'm too trustworthy, but I just go by what the company says is in the product... I still have some faith in the integrity of people
smile.gif

A company that sells interstate would be subject to FDA regulations regarding labeling and contents. The locality of the company (state,county, city) may also have its own regulations. The question is, as others have said, does the the FDA check on these companies? Probably not, except in case of complaints. We really don't even know if mmu company, or any internet company, is properly licensed. Its not like walking into a store and seeing the business license hanging on the wall.

From the FDA site "The FD&C Act prohibits the marketing of adulterated or misbranded cosmetics in interstate commerce. Violations of the Act involving product composition--whether they result from ingredients, contaminants, processing, packaging, or shipping and handling--cause cosmetics to be adulterated and subject to regulatory action."

I would read up on the rave threads about certain brands everyone has used.That would be a great way to know if the product is superior or crap.

Good point snowjesh.........this is the reason I've started using Certified Organic as much as possible since it makes me feel more secured and also better for my health and soon I will also venture into making my own MMU so at least I know what goes into my products
smile.gif

I think all we have is what the companies post... They could get in trouble if they are lying so...

I look at it this way..

Some companies put on their sites they refuse to use those ingredients and others don't care at all. So why would the ones that say they refuse to use those ingredients be lying? That seems kind of silly!

Personally I'd rather use MMU any day. But there is guidelines in place for each state these MMU are made in. And if they do not follow the FDA rules or state rules they can be fined ALOT of money. Why risk it?

Alot of these MMU companies pride themselves on the ingredients they DON'T use

And when they can be tested so easily by any of us.... again why risk it?

Now you got me wondering if those online etailers list all their ingredients used or omit some or add additional ones to make the product look better. Im assuming they dont go through FDA.

With cosmetics, you don't go through the FDA to get approval unless you are making a claim that requires laboratory testing (SPF, for example). Personally, I would not risk my livelihood by falsifying information on an ingredient label. Consumers can always have products tested to see if what is on the label is true.

This also includes big companies. Just because they are nationally known, doesn't mean that they are being completely honest. There are many companies that get warning letters from the FDA for making claims that aren't tested. The FDA lists these warning letters online (FDA)

Here's some information on certified organic.

Wikipedia

National Organic Program

When talking about minerals, they are not organic because minerals are inorganic materials (not agricultural) and many of the ingredients are made in a laboratory (iron oxide, ultramarines, for example). This is the same for natural claims. Natural iron oxide is not safe to use as a colorant because of all of the impurities in it. Ultramarine blue is not made from lapis lazuli anymore because of the expense.

Quote:
Only agricultural products produced and handled in accordance with the National Organic Program may be certified as organically produced. Salts are minerals not agricultural products. Water is a chemical substance used in the production of agricultural products but is not itself an agricultural product. Quote:
In the US, federal organic legislation defines three levels of organics. Products made entirely with certified organic ingredients and methods can be labelled "100% organic". Products with 95% organic ingredients can use the word "organic". Both may also display the USDA organic seal. A third category, containing a minimum of 70% organic ingredients, can be labelled "made with organic ingredients". In addition, products may also display the logo of the certification body that approved them. Products made with less than 70% organic ingredients can not advertise this information to consumers and can only mention this fact in the product's ingredient statement. Similar percentages and labels apply in the EU.

Here's what I think. Any reputable MMU company is not going to lie about ingredients because like OceanMist said, it's their livelihood. Actually I think online companies depend so heavily on word of mouth- that they would be insane to lie. As I've heard it told, people with a good experience will tell 1-3 people but with a bad experience they'll tell over 10! The fallout from lying about ingredients would be a serious risk in my opinion.

Back