Your Curly Hair Routine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay you girls with curls, whether they be natural or permed, please share your routines of caring for your curls!, and what products you use! Also, if you find an article wither a curly hair routine, post it too!

Maybe we could make this an official sticky thread? I know there are always alot of threads popping up about curly hair! I just think it would be a good idea to have a sticky about everyones routine!
laughing.gif

My Routine:

I wash my naturally hair 2-3 times a week with a curl formulated shampooconditioner or moisturizing shampooconditioner. I always have a wide-toothed comb in the shower with me so I can thoroughly comb it thru my hair! After I rinse out conditioner, I always apply just a tad bit more of it to my hair, especially on the ends, to make it even softer and add back moisture! BTW, in between shampoos, because my hair gets so tangly, I have to rinse my hair out with conditioner daily.

To style, I first comb my hair with a wide tooth comb (or sometimes I just finger comb) and add in my part! As for products... well, I can't say which one I use, because I rotate everyday because nothing I have works! Ahem... but usually I put in Sunsilk's hydra tlc creme or their curl creme first, then apply some sort of gel or rarely mousse. I try to apply it evenly throughout my hair.

Then, to add back curl, I either scrunch, twirl my hair around my fingers, or twist them like a tootsie roll wrapper (which I found actually works pretty well for me!!). But Also, sometimes I use my fingers and 'rake' them through my hair while moving them back and forth (left and right) to create a curl pattern. All of my techniques I've gotten from reading hundreds of articles on curly hair, haha!

I never dry my hair with a diffuser because it makes my hair a big poofy frizzy mess!! So I always let it air dry - I don't wash it at night because If I let it airy dry at night it goes crazy and I hate it, So I have to wash it early in the morning. And I don't normally use hair spray, because I find it doesn't work for me!

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif I wash my naturally hair 2-3 times a week with a curl formulated shampooconditioner or moisturizing shampooconditioner. I always have a wide-toothed comb in the shower with me so I can thoroughly comb it thru my hair! BTW, in between shampoos, because my hair gets so tangly, I have to rinse my hair out with conditioner daily.
I never dry my hair with a diffuser because it makes my hair a big poofy frizzy mess!! So I always let it air dry - I don't wash it at night because If I let it airy dry at night it goes crazy and I hate it, So I have to wash it early in the morning. And I don't normally use hair spray, because I find it doesn't work for me!

oh my goodness! your regime sounds almost exactly like mine!
my shampoo - dark and lovely naturally peppermint shampoo

my conditioner - pantene pro v for women of color - great detangler!

my treatment - queen helene cholestorol conditioner - weekly!

my moisturizer - dark and lovely naturally chamomile

to prevent frizz - john freida silicone gel

to lock in curls - john freida secret weapon

to give smoothness and shine - ouidad curl quencher moisturizing gel

great thread!

lol my routine isn't spectacular...

*I brush my hair IN the shower every morning with a handfull of Matrix - Curl.Life conditioner..

*I leave hair in a towel while i do my makeup and get dressed..

*I squeeze excess moisture into my towel

*I put Marc Anthony curl cream in my hair with my head down..

*flip my hair over while i attempt some shaping by running my fingers through my hair..

*Then i just let it be to airdry...

btw.. your hair sounds exactly like mine! lol

even the tangling in between shampooing and the poofiness with the difuser and stuff!

I'm so glad I'm not alone!!! LOL

I've been meaning to get both John Frieda's gel and some of Marc Anthony's stuff for curly hair! It's time to go shopping now! Hehe!

Originally Posted by citre /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm so glad I'm not alone!!! LOL
I've been meaning to get both John Frieda's gel and some of Marc Anthony's stuff for curly hair! It's time to go shopping now! Hehe!

i love john freida's products. i use his dream curls product when i want my curls even tighter. some folks have bad things to say about cones, but my hair does great with the silicone gel. i've tried to go without it, but the frizz just takes over.

On days I shampoo I use Healthy Sexy hair shampoo and conditioner, besides that I use the conditioner every time I wet my hair.

In the shower I shampoo (depending on the day) and condition. I have a shower comb I use to comb out my hair while it still has conditioner in it. I rinse my hair out and get out of the shower. I try to get all the water out of my hair without ringing it or touching it with a towel. Then I put in Curl Keeper, Loreal out of bed cream, and herbal essence gel (the one in the orange bottle). I make sure it's all worked into my hair and then I comb all the product though my hair. Then I plop my hair with a microfiber towel for however long I have before I need to go (at least 10 minutes). Then I take my hair down spray it with dove flexible hairspray.

I know it sounds complicated, but that's the only way I can seem to keep my extremely course and frizzy hair under control.

Originally Posted by FearlessBunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif On days I shampoo I use Healthy Sexy hair shampoo and conditioner, besides that I use the conditioner every time I wet my hair.
In the shower I shampoo (depending on the day) and condition. I have a shower comb I use to comb out my hair while it still has conditioner in it. I rinse my hair out and get out of the shower. I try to get all the water out of my hair without ringing it or touching it with a towel. Then I put in Curl Keeper, Loreal out of bed cream, and herbal essence gel (the one in the orange bottle). I make sure it's all worked into my hair and then I comb all the product though my hair. Then I plop my hair with a microfiber towel for however long I have before I need to go (at least 10 minutes). Then I take my hair down spray it with dove flexible hairspray.

I know it sounds complicated, but that's the only way I can seem to keep my extremely course and frizzy hair under control.

It's not too complicated -- you have to do what you have to do with curly hair, even if it seems like too much work. Apparently curly hair REALLY likes to be pampered, heh.

I'm still trying to find the right shampoo and conditioner, but I wash every other day. I put in ISO bouncey creme after washing. I have to let it dry while I sleep otherwise it comes out straight and frizzy. I don't know what it is, but if I let it dry while I lie down or sleep my curls come out all nice and defined. When I style my hair I use MOP styling tonic for frizz control or Redken Instant Polishing Prep if I want more definition or Redken rewind 06 pliable styling paste if I really want to style it. I don't like the feel of too much product in my hair, and often too much product will weigh my hair down and pull out my curl.

Ok...

You know those "beach curls" I have naturally VERY curly hair and something I LOVE doing in the summer that is NO fuss is...

After I'm out of the shower I roll my hair up in a town with a LITTLE bit of conditioner still left in it. Then when it is a little dry I spray my whole head with a water spritzer with fruit juice/water....Apple juice works great! Anyway the juice covers my curls an d weighs them down enough to give me AWESOME "beach curls." Then I let it air dry in the sun.....You have to rinse your hair out by the end of the night but NOTHING works better for that look. Just a thought..... oh and my hair smells GREAT all day.

Originally Posted by Babino /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok...You know those "beach curls" I have naturally VERY curly hair and something I LOVE doing in the summer that is NO fuss is...

After I'm out of the shower I roll my hair up in a town with a LITTLE bit of conditioner still left in it. Then when it is a little dry I spray my whole head with a water spritzer with fruit juice/water....Apple juice works great! Anyway the juice covers my curls an d weighs them down enough to give me AWESOME "beach curls." Then I let it air dry in the sun.....You have to rinse your hair out by the end of the night but NOTHING works better for that look. Just a thought..... oh and my hair smells GREAT all day.

I may try that.. but I just can't imagine putting Apple Juice in my hair!

LOL...I KNOW it sounds crazy but give it a try....any juice works...I just like the consistancy I've had with apple juice. I had a lady tell me this when I was younger (being the only one in my family with curly hair).......I tried ANYTHING that might help me navigate through my curls~!

Back