Brazilian waxing

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Weeell, I usually see a professional to get my brazilian or bikini waxing done, but it's SO expensive.

There is no way I'm shaving down there, so what other options are there? has anyone tried epilating that area? can you even do that? I'm guessing it would sting like a summabiatch, LOL.

Anyway, I just was interested in your general thoughts re: what cheaper options there are to waxing at a salon...

Rosie,

If you do elect to shave down there, you can use a depilatory cream formulated for the face on the skin to soften the new hair shafts down there. If you use the cream every other day, you will not get those little bumps often associated with the prickly regrowth. And of course, they will be much easier to shave off the next time, and you will be smoother too.

You could do the waxing, but take an ibuprofen 30 minutes before you go in, and rub Ambesol (I learned recently by experimentation how greatly the pain was reduced by using this) on it beforehand as well. Do not go in just before or during your period, it will kill you.

you could try waxing yourself at home. i did this and it took me two days (the pain was just too much to do both sides the same day). that's why i go to my old esthetics school and have it done. hey, that's your answer! find a school and get it done, although i'm not sure if they do brazilian waxing. i know that you can get a normal bikini wax.

Rosie, promise me you won't use an epilator down there. I have a horror story for this. My friend was using one to do her own brazilian..and some skin got caught IN the epilator teeth. Once she got the thing turned off, the hard part was getting the skin out of the epilator...major OUCH! She was bruised and cut and worse the damn thing got infected. So please, keep epilators AWAY from your girly bits
smile.gif
They're not designed for such sensitive areas.

You could try looking around for better pricing at different salons you can get great brazilians for reasonable prices. Do a bit of research of the salons in your area.

I know others have suggested waxing yourself at home, but that can be equally dangerous, getting the temp of the wax right, getting in the right spots, supporting the skin properly etc. And it can be hella messy. Plus the wax at home kits wax isn't the same as professional quality wax, so it won't do as good a job as a professional wax would.

I know I'm not helping you here! But I REALLY don't want you to hurt yourself! Many a time I have had to fix up mistakes/ or get all the hair that girls have missed trying to do their own brazilians. Some of the bruising I have seen.. I'm surprised the girls could walk!

You could look into getting it done at a beauty college/tafe in your local area - they always need models, and it's done in a clean and hygienic environment and they are always supervised at all times during the treatment. It would be cheap too $10-$20 and sometimes it's even free! God knows we always needed clients to book in for clinic when I was training! So it can't hurt to ring up your local college to see when they have clinic. I know the idea of letting a student do it might be daunting, but if you can get past that, you'll be fine.

gee, it's so frustrating, but some things I guess you just have to pay for.. better to pay than to pay in other ways I guess!

Bec688 - oh my god that epilator story is horrifying!! I will continue to be horrified by that story forever!! People are nuts!! I would NEVER go down there with an epilator or a razor or anything dangerous, I'm far far to clumsy.

It is expensive (although the beautician I go to is very reasonable) but it's worth the extra cash to get it done right.

Originally Posted by SalJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Bec688 - oh my god that epilator story is horrifying!! I will continue to be horrified by that story forever!! People are nuts!! I would NEVER go down there with an epilator or a razor or anything dangerous, I'm far far to clumsy.
It is expensive (although the beautician I go to is very reasonable) but it's worth the extra cash to get it done right.

Oh I am horrified too! I got to see the damage that was done, scarred for life lol I cringe everytime I hear people talk about epilators lol

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif gee, it's so frustrating, but some things I guess you just have to pay for.. better to pay than to pay in other ways I guess! Aww I'm sorry!
frown.gif
I didn't mean to make it harder for you, I just don't want you to hurt yourself!

lol, it's alright.. I have found a place that does them for $45, it's the cheapest I've found so far, and a friend of mine works there, so I'll probably go there. Don't feel bad Bec! I'm glad that you told me those stories! much better to know than not know! EEP!

I wouldn't use epilator down there too. Once a bit of skin on my arm when depilating got in and it really hurts sooo much!
10.gif
I even can't imagine how must this hurt when experiencing it down there
frown.gif

Nawww, thread love! It's like giving a younger version of myself advice, lol

I think over the last 4 years, the price of laser has really gone down. I'm very impressed with the results I've had from it.

Back