Woman Almost Dies After Bikini Wax

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Obsessed with lipstick
Reaction score
Woman Almost Dies After Bikini Wax

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

By Katherine Tweed

E-MAIL STORY

PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION

'Brazilian' bikini waxes are increasingly popular among women who live nowhere near the bikini-clad beaches of Rio de Janeiro. For one 20-year-old woman in Melbourne, Australia, this routine procedure nearly took her life.

The woman was admitted to an emergency room just two weeks after receiving a the Brazilian bikini wax, a procedure that involves removing even more hair front-to-back than a traditional bikini wax, according to the Brief Report published online in the June issue of the journal of Clinical Infectious Diseases.

"Our case is notable, because it illustrates the infectious risks of pubic hair removal in a patient with diabetes," the authors concluded. "The beauty industry is growing at an unprecedented rate and more invasive and potentially harmful procedures are increasingly available."

The authors of the report warn that anyone with a compromised immune system, including diabetics and people infected with HIV, should think twice about waxing, or any beauty procedure.

While the patient experienced "significant pain" and some bleeding during the procedure, which was performed by a trainee beauty therapist, her health had taken a sharp turn for the worse by the time she sought medical attention.

According to the report, the young woman had poorly controlled type 1 diabetes. She was admitted to the hospital with a high fever, excruciating pain, "grossly swollen" genitalia, and a rash across her chest and neck.

The woman's pain was so intense and the inflammation so severe that doctors were barely able to examine her in the emergency room.

Eventually, the doctors were able to take blood samples and cultures, which came back positive for the potentially life-threatening bacteria, Streptococcus pyogenes.

The patient's weakened immune system put her at risk when she underwent the hot-wax procedure, which caused the infection. A more complete exam, done under general anesthetic, revealed the woman was infected with herpes simplex.

She was discharged after 10 days in the hospital after a steady regimen of antibiotics and other medications that saved her life. While she had regained her health, she had not learned her lesson.

Six months later, the woman again tried to remove her pubic hair, but this time she was shaving herself. She subsequently developed a recurrence of herpes and another skin infection.

She was treated again successfully, but the report noted that, "despite her traumatic experiences, the patient was keen to undertake further removal of pubic hair."

Even for salon customers without suppressed immune systems, this woman's story can be a lesson. Many studies have shown nail salons that do not properly sterilize equipment can easily spread hepatitis.

Every salon patron, especially those getting bikini waxes, should ensure that they attend clean and reputable establishments where therapists regularly wash their hands and wear gloves.

The authors of this report also recommend physicians familiarize themselves with these beauty practices so they can better advise patients about the pros and cons of their beauty regimens.

Nasty! I've never gotten a brazilian and I don't plan on it. I live in the snow belt anyway!! lol...

The problem on that case wasn't really the waxing , but the uncontrolled diabetes - which weakened her immune system. Anything could cause in that state a deathly infection, like a small cut (like happened later when she shaved herself and her herpes flared up)

Plus, Streptococcus pyogenes is on the skin - it wasn't the waxer fault.

I really wanted to get that article posted because some people who are diabetic may not know this. Hopefully this will help somebody out!

very scary
scared.gif

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif You can get herpes by just about anything these days. That is so scary! How would you explain that to your husband or s/o?

I see no ones mentioned that she did it twice? She was hosipitalized, turned around and tried hair removal again? Anyone as shocked as I am? eheh

Originally Posted by farris2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif That is so scary! How would you explain that to your husband or s/o? HSV-1 (which cause cold sores) is easily spread around. As a matter of fact, it is believed that 90% of the people are carriers , but only a few show the virus. HSV-2 is more difficult, since is sex-related.
Ah, some people are crazy like that! Plus, she didn't take care of her diabetes!

I cannot believe she let it get THAT BAD!!!!!!!!!!! According to the article, it doesn't sound like she takes very good care of herself. The article almost makes this procedure (and the whole industry) sound "dangerous", when really this was a fluke thing, and much of the blame goes to this woman for letting things go that long....

Originally Posted by Momo /img/forum/go_quote.gif I see no ones mentioned that she did it twice? She was hosipitalized, turned around and tried hair removal again? Anyone as shocked as I am? eheh That's what I was thinking

Back