Hair products question!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking about cutting my hair into a shorter cut with layers (around chin-length, give or take an inch -- I'm still thinking), and I want to be able to flip out the ends like in the pictures below. The last time I had a short "flippy" haircut, I only used hairspray to style it but it never worked -- my hair is naturally wavy so it just got wavy and poofy throughout the day! Especially in the humid Midwest summers!

I was thinking a different kind of product might work, like a pommade. However, the only styling product I've ever used is hairspray! Can someone recommend some good products to get these kind of styles? My hair is fine, but thick and naturally wavy (except for the bottom layers which tend to be straighter). If you have any other tips or techniques for styling hair like this, I'd appreciate that too!

Thanks!

flip_back.jpg

medium-layers.jpg

med2.jpg

jaime-pressly.jpg

as you blowdry flick the ends upward with your fingers.......once it's dry use some wax or texturizer or paste and rub it between your fingers and rake it through the ends of your hair with an upward flicking motion........give that a try and see if you have any luck!!

This is my cut, but mine is longer (just above shoulders) with more layers.

medium-layers.jpg

Here is my drying/styling regimen:

• I start by drying my hair up-side-down for a few seconds. I then start drying my hair with a round brush.
  • I pull the bottom layer (on the sides) forward as I dry.
  • I flip all layers up with the round brush as I dry.
  • When completely dry I use a small amount of John Frieda Dream Cream (for blonde hair) all over hair to smooth.
  • I set my part and anchor my side swept bang (to a long layer on the side) with styling taffy (it's like pomade).
  • I spray all layers with styling wax. I gently "fluff" my hair to separate layers. The wax really defines the layers.
  • Sometimes a couple layers will not flip out. Take a small barrel curling iron and roll the layer up and hold for a couple seconds. Fluff the curled section to blend with the rest of the hair.
You're done!
*NOTE: I would suggest, as you dry, to pull ALL the wave out of your hair. You will get the layers to flip better if all hair is straight. My hair is stick straight and I think that helps with the layers flipping properly.

Hope this helps you out!
smile.gif

P.S. My stylist ANGLE CUTS my layers. I have a MILLION layers in my hair too. I don't know if that makes it flip better or not. You may want to ask your stylist and about angle cutting and massive layers. I bet tons of layers will be very good for you since your hair is thick. She may even razor cut the layers to thin your hair. My stylist says short cuts (like in the picture) is good for thick hair if the hair is thinned down with lots of layers. I have super thin hair so the layers make my hair look thicker. She doesn't razor cut mine (I don't have enough hair for it).
laughing.gif

I'll have to try this myself. I just got a haircut to right above my shoulders and this looks interesting. Thanks for the step-by-step.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is my cut, but mine is longer (just above shoulders) with more layers.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ium-layers.jpg

Here is my drying/styling regimen:

• I start by drying my hair up-side-down for a few seconds. I then start drying my hair with a round brush.
  • I pull the bottom layer (on the sides) forward as I dry.
  • I flip all layers up with the round brush as I dry.
  • When completely dry I use a small amount of John Frieda Dream Cream (for blonde hair) all over hair to smooth.
  • I set my part and anchor my side swept bang (to a long layer on the side) with styling taffy (it's like pomade).
  • I spray all layers with styling wax. I gently "fluff" my hair to separate layers. The wax really defines the layers.
  • Sometimes a couple layers will not flip out. Take a small barrel curling iron and roll the layer up and hold for a couple seconds. Fluff the curled section to blend with the rest of the hair.
You're done!
*NOTE: I would suggest, as you dry, to pull ALL the wave out of your hair. You will get the layers to flip better if all hair is straight. My hair is stick straight and I think that helps with the layers flipping properly.

Hope this helps you out!
smile.gif

P.S. My stylist ANGLE CUTS my layers. I have a MILLION layers in my hair too. I don't know if that makes it flip better or not. You may want to ask your stylist and about angle cutting and massive layers. I bet tons of layers will be very good for you since your hair is thick. She may even razor cut the layers to thin your hair. My stylist says short cuts (like in the picture) is good for thick hair if the hair is thinned down with lots of layers. I have super thin hair so the layers make my hair look thicker. She doesn't razor cut mine (I don't have enough hair for it).
laughing.gif

cute hair style

Just mentioned, use Pantene's new Texturize collection. Get extra volume using a mousse. But before the mousse wash your hair with either a volumizing shampoo or clarifying shampoo. If you need to condition the hair, only condition at the ends and mid-shaft and rinse throughly.

-Anna-

Latest posts

Back