A question for those from the UK...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This was kind of inspired by Karen_B's thread asking Americans to explain some things about our culture.

So I know someone who went to London and was eating what we Americans refer to as cookies. A little girl was looking at him like she wanted some, and he asked her if she wanted a cookie and she started crying and ran to her parents (or whoever it was she was with). Apparently over there, "cookie" is a word for a prostitute?

I was told that in England, what Americans refer to as cookies are called biscuits. But I was wondering how you distinguish between what we Americans refer to as cookies and what we refer to as biscuits (cookies are sweet, biscuits are not).

cookies.jpg

sides_biscuits.jpg

Or am I totally wrong on this? It's possible that they were teasing me because I'm gullible. lol.

Whoa! That's a great questiona Shaundra! I wanna know the answer myself!

I am not British but live here a while and...I've never heard of "Cookie=Prostitute" thing. Or maybe is it a new slang??

I personally don't know nor wondered the difference between biscuit and cookie. i guess it's just the way they call things in different name? (e.g. Lift = Elevator)

What is the difference between a cookie and a biscuit? - Yahoo! Answers UK this is interesting to read.

Let's wait until other UK members can give us better explanation.

I've lived in England all my life and have never heard of the word cookie meaning prostitute, lol.

As for the cookies and the biscuits.

We call cookies what the first picture you posted is.

A cookie for us is a biscuit with chocolate chips in it.

And biscuits, biscuits are just flat biscuit things...lol that was crappy, like these..

mvgroup.jpg

they dont have to have chocolate on them.

And what yout call biscuits...they look sort of like our scones to me.

MMM I am sooo glad I made choco chip cookies last night and took some to work with me---awww am I making you all jealous now? hehehe!

Oh, here's another one- How can Europeans eat french fries with mayo on them?? I like mayo and all, and might use a fry to pick some off my burger, but not constantly dip it in the mayo.

What do you call thinly sliced baked or fried potatoes then? That's what we call chips hehe

Originally Posted by Teenage_Kicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've lived in England all my life and have never heard of the word cookie meaning prostitute, lol.
As for the cookies and the biscuits.

We call cookies what the first picture you posted is.

A cookie for us is a biscuit with chocolate chips in it.

And biscuits, biscuits are just flat biscuit things...lol that was crappy, like these..

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.c...nt/mvgroup.jpg

they dont have to have chocolate on them.

And what yout call biscuits...they look sort of like our scones to me.

LOL! We call what you posted cookies as well. If it's flat and sweet like that, we call it a cookie.
So do you not have what Americans refer to as biscuits at all over there? They're not the same thing as scones...in the US scones are sweetened.

Biscuits here (the second pic I posted) are usually served with gravy or butter (although sometimes with jam). They are usually buttery flavored and slightly salty.

Originally Posted by Teenage_Kicks /img/forum/go_quote.gif We call them crisps.
Lol.

This is sooo confusing.

LOL! Here we usually call them crisps if they're baked and chips if they're fried!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Manda /img/forum/go_quote.gif MMM I am sooo glad I made choco chip cookies last night and took some to work with me---awww am I making you all jealous now? hehehe!
Oh, here's another one- How can Europeans eat french fries with mayo on them?? I like mayo and all, and might use a fry to pick some off my burger, but not constantly dip it in the mayo.

Mustard too... I lived in Germany for 3 years... It's easy to end up "taking on" come of the customs/ways of life
smile.gif

in France, biscuits can either be salted (mostly flat things, that we eat with a drink before a meal, especially when we invite someone for dinner)
images

or sweet. it's mostly sweet though.

the "cookies" here refer to a specific type of biscuit, like in Shaundra's first pic, a sweet thick paste with chocolate chips.

Originally Posted by BeneBaby /img/forum/go_quote.gif I want that KFC biscuit!!!! I love KFC biscuits! lol. I can't eat their chicken (I'm allergic to something they put into it) but I always get their macaroni and cheese and a biscuit. lol!

Originally Posted by Manda /img/forum/go_quote.gif MMM I am sooo glad I made choco chip cookies last night and took some to work with me---awww am I making you all jealous now? hehehe!

I love mayo and i do it too. I think it's because most americans aren't very used to mayo

in my experience (both my parents are english)

biscuits are sweet like cookies, and non-sweet biscuits are called crackers - I assume you're talking about something you'd eat with cheese or whatever?

I've never heard a prostitute called a cookie. That sounds like complete trash!

Haha, word differences are so funny.. like jelly and jam. How do americans tell the difference between jelly as in jam, and jelly as in the dessert?

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif in my experience (both my parents are english)
biscuits are sweet like cookies, and non-sweet biscuits are called crackers - I assume you're talking about something you'd eat with cheese or whatever?

I've never heard a prostitute called a cookie. That sounds like complete trash!

Haha, word differences are so funny.. like jelly and jam. How do americans tell the difference between jelly as in jam, and jelly as in the dessert?

What we call "crackers" are not leavened, so they are flat. lol! Our biscuits are light and soft and fluffy, though! All these cultural differences!
Can you post a picture of what you mean by jelly as desert? Because I'm not really sure what you mean.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kookie-for-COCO /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have been told that my biscuits looked like cookies--not a compliment eitherLOLLOL LOL! I'm sure they still taste great.
wink.gif

Back