What word do you use to describe a cat?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would call it a Pussy? No i am not being Vulgar/Rude

What do you call a Pencil Eraser? a Rubber? or Topper?

What do you call your Trainers? Tennis Shoes?

Patatoes? Spuds? Pharmacy? Drugstore? Chemist?

Pavement? Kerb? Sidewalk? Carriageway? Motorway? Road? Street?

I find it interesting that a word has other meanings/uses in different Countries. I have been to the States 3 times only, & i still sometimes think what on earth does that mean, Bangs? Nox just let me know, never heard of this before but its interesting to know, i am sure there is lots of words we use like Grub for food, Dough for Bread, what words do you use that are funny or different than other countries?
rotfl.gif

I think anyone who calls it a pussy is trying to be vulgar anyways. I hate that term haha..people mostly say it now because they know what the other meaning is and want to get a rise out of people...

Kitty, eraser, (trainers? what) potatos

pavement kerb and sidewalk are all different meanings..and I use them all for what each of them mean.

Originally Posted by MindySue /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think anyone who calls it a pussy is trying to be vulgar anyways. I hate that term haha..people mostly say it now because they know what the other meaning is and want to get a rise out of people...
Kitty, eraser, (trainers? what) potatos

pavement kerb and sidewalk are all different meanings..and I use them all for what each of them mean.

In England if a bloke was going to describe your pussy he would say muff/minge/beaver/Fanny/Gash, and by trainers i mean your shoes that you do sport in, and also just to let you know in England we would use Pavement or Kerb but not Sidewalk.

I cringe whenever I hear someone call a cat a pussy, but that's because it has a different meaning in the US. I call it a cat/kitty. I say: sneakers, potatoe, sidewalk & kerb. I'm on another board & I've heard people from other countries say Chav's & I still don't completely understand what it means. I also think it's cute when people say my mate in place of friend.

well I think oz is different from america AND the uk, we have our own form of screwed up english, lol!

if I was talking to the cat (as in baby talk) i might say puss puss, or pussy, but if I was talking about one in passing to a friend I'd say her cat. I'd say eraser, I call sports shoes 'joggers', I visit the chemist and I call cookies biscuits.

my parents are actually english so I have even weirder english - I use mostly australian phrases but some are english or with an english accent.

Haha, and yes, we DO call flip flops THONGS in oz! haha!

and we call condoms condoms, not rubbers or prophilatics or I dont even know what other countries call em!

Cat or kitty, eraser, shoes by the brand- ie- "let me put on my Nikes" or "I'm wearing my DVS'", potatos, curb or sidewalk.

Originally Posted by Mares /img/forum/go_quote.gif I would call it a Pussy? No i am not being Vulgar/Rude
What do you call a Pencil Eraser? a Rubber? or Topper?

What do you call your Trainers? Tennis Shoes?

Patatoes? Spuds? Pharmacy? Drugstore? Chemist?

Pavement? Kerb? Sidewalk? Carriageway? Motorway? Road? Street?

I find it interesting that a word has other meanings/uses in different Countries. I have been to the States 3 times only, & i still sometimes think what on earth does that mean, Bangs? Nox just let me know, never heard of this before but its interesting to know, i am sure there is lots of words we use like Grub for food, Dough for Bread, what words do you use that are funny or different than other countries?
rotfl.gif

Well, here are some more translations to add for a Brit visiting the U.S.
1. Torch --> Flashlight

2. Trousers --> Pants

3. Tumbler --> Glass or cup

4. AlyooMINyum --> ALOOminum

5. Boots (not the drugstore, LOL) --> Soccer (Football) cleats

6. Kit --> Uniform (sport)

7. Chemist --> Pharmacy/Drugstore

8. Pussy --> Kitty (it's all personally preference, but you don't usually hear "pussy")

9. Grub = Food, but not used so frequently anymore

10. Dough = unbaked bread

11. Pavement = sidewalk, road, street, curb... these are all different things.

12. Biscuits = Crackers (usually that's the case, although you can still say biscuits)

Hope that helps!

A Chav is really (trashy) burberry wearing loud mouth, gold rings, knows it all, hard to describe but thats basically it

Thats funny Joggers are Jogging trousers here, i have a few really weird sayings/words as i was born in Britain but both my Parents are from Southern Ireland, my Dad from Cork and my Mum Galway

^lol thats a pretty good description. Although, I don't know any trashy people who wear Burberry.

Originally Posted by Nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, here are some more translations to add for a Brit visiting the U.S.
1. Torch --> Flashlight

2. Trousers --> Pants

3. Tumbler --> Glass or cup

4. AlyooMINyum --> ALOOminum

5. Boots (not the drugstore, LOL) --> Soccer (Football) cleats

6. Kit --> Uniform (sport)

7. Chemist --> Pharmacy/Drugstore

8. Pussy --> Kitty (it's all personally preference, but you don't usually hear "pussy")

9. Grub = Food, but not used so frequently anymore

10. Dough = unbaked bread

11. Pavement = sidewalk, road, street, curb... these are all different

things.

12. Biscuits = Crackers (usually that's the case, although you can still say biscuits)

Hope that helps!

Cleats never heard that one before, Aloominum whats that? have no idea?
frown.gif

In the South, they call shopping carts "buggies". lol. I always thought that was weird when I moved here from Minnesota. So there's even a diffence among what Americans call things!

Buggys are pushchairs in England

Bogs are Toilets in England, but in Ireland where my Parents are from they cut Turf in Bogs (place where Turf grows-its like wood) for the Fire

Here are some Canadian words. This will be useful if you visit or move to Canada.
wink.gif

Source: Wikpedia

Distinctive Canadianisms

Canadian English has words or expressions not found, or not widely used, in other variants of English. Additionally, like other dialects of English that exist in proximity to francophones, French loanwords have entered Canadian English.

• ABM, bank machine: synonymous with ATM (which is also used).
  • bachelor: bachelor apartment ("They have a bachelor for rent").
  • Canuck: a Canadian.
  • double-double: a cup of coffee with two creams and two sugars. And by the same token, triple-triple.
  • eh: a spoken interjection to ascertain the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed ("That was a good game last night, eh?"). May also be used instead of "huh?" or "what?" meaning "please repeat or say again." Frequently mis-represented by Americans as A, or hey. One of the most distinctive Canadian phrases.
  • fire hall: fire station, firehouse
  • ghost car: An unmarked police car.
  • hoser: An uncouth, beer drinking man. Used extensively in Bob and Doug Mackenzie skits.
  • humidex: measurement used by meteorologists to reflect the combined effect of heat and humidity.
  • hydro: a common synonym for electrical service (used primarily in Eastern Canada). Many Canadian provincial electric companies generate power from hydroelectricity, and incorporate the term "Hydro" in their names: Toronto Hydro, Hydro Ottawa, etc. Usage: "Manitoba Hydro... It's not just a Power Company anymore."; "How long did you work for Hydro?" "When's Hydro gonna get the lines back up."; "The hydro bill is due on the fifteenth."; "I didn't pay my hydro bill so they shut off my lights." Hence hydrofield, a line of electricity transmission towers, usually in groups cutting across a city, and hydro lines/poles, electrical transmission lines/poles.
  • keener: Someone that is keen or enthusiastic to do a task.
  • LC: Short for "Liquor Commission". Refers to a government-operated liquor store.
  • loonie: Canadian one dollar coin. Derived from the use of the loon on the reverse.
  • parkade: a parking garage, especially in the West.
  • pencil crayon: coloured pencil origin: bilingual package label Pencil (English) Crayon (French word for pencil).
  • pogie: term referring to unemployment insurance, which is now officially called Employment Insurance in Canada. Derived from the use of pogey as a term for a poorhouse.
  • runners:[running shoes, sneakers, especially in Western Canada.Also used in Australian English and Irish English.
  • stag and doe: a joint male and female party prior to their wedding.
  • tie one on: to go out to drink alcoholic beverages and become very inebriated (primarily in Western Canada - Saskatchewan).
  • take off!: An expression of disbelief or denial.
  • tuque: a knitted winter hat, often with a pompon on the crown. Sometimes spelled toque.
  • two-four: A case of 24 beers.
Canadian Slang Words
Source: Bill Casselman

A Canadian---- Could be referring to Molson Canadian Beer

All-Nighter---- Drinking until the next morning

Anglo------ A non-French Canadian

A shot------ One ounce of liquor

Away------- Used to describe someone who has left one of the eastern Provinces and moved west.

Brain Drain---- Exodus of Canadian professionals seeking employment in the USA.

Brew--------- A beer as in "let's go for a brew"

Butts-------- Cigarettes

Clicks-------- Used instead of kilometers or miles

Dole--------- Government Assistance

Down East---- All Provinces east of where you are

Eh?----------- What did you say? Repeat that please or know what I mean?

Ex------------ Short for Molson Export beer

Forty ouncer--- 40 ounce bottle of liquor

Francophone--- A French Canadian

Get Lost------- Insisting that someone leave you alone

Goof---------- A moron or idiot

Gradge------- Garage

Hammered----- Very drunk

Hogtown------ Nickname for Toronto

Johnny on the spot-- Portable toilet at outdoor event

Mickey----- 13 ounce of liquor

Mounties--- Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Newfie--- A person from the Province of Newfoundland

Polluted--- Very drunk

Poutine--- Fries with gravy and cheese curds

Shinny--- A game of hockey played on the streets

Shooters-- Drinking one- ounce shots of liquor

Skull Cramp- A bad headache

The Can- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

The John-- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

Toonie-- Canada's two dollar-coin

Tronno---- Toronto

Twenty Sixer-- 26 ounce bottle of liquor

Weed--- Marijuana

Yankee-- Any US citizen

Zed--- The letter after Y

Originally Posted by Pinklady77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^lol thats a pretty good description. Although, I don't know any trashy people who wear Burberry. Chavs are trashy (meaning the way the speak and act) no Burberry is not cheap but Chavs dont dress cheap, far from it.
Johnny on the Spot how funny is that, very interesting, never heard of half those words

Originally Posted by Shelley /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here are some Canadian words. This will be useful if you visit or move to Canada.
wink.gif

Source: Wikpedia

Distinctive Canadianisms

Canadian English has words or expressions not found, or not widely used, in other variants of English. Additionally, like other dialects of English that exist in proximity to francophones, French loanwords have entered Canadian English.

• ABM, bank machine: synonymous with ATM (which is also used).
  • bachelor: bachelor apartment ("They have a bachelor for rent").
  • Canuck: a Canadian.
  • double-double: a cup of coffee with two creams and two sugars. And by the same token, triple-triple.
  • eh: a spoken interjection to ascertain the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed ("That was a good game last night, eh?"). May also be used instead of "huh?" or "what?" meaning "please repeat or say again." Frequently mis-represented by Americans as A, or hey. One of the most distinctive Canadian phrases.
  • fire hall: fire station, firehouse
  • ghost car: An unmarked police car.
  • hoser: An uncouth, beer drinking man. Used extensively in Bob and Doug Mackenzie skits.
  • humidex: measurement used by meteorologists to reflect the combined effect of heat and humidity.
  • hydro: a common synonym for electrical service (used primarily in Eastern Canada). Many Canadian provincial electric companies generate power from hydroelectricity, and incorporate the term "Hydro" in their names: Toronto Hydro, Hydro Ottawa, etc. Usage: "Manitoba Hydro... It's not just a Power Company anymore."; "How long did you work for Hydro?" "When's Hydro gonna get the lines back up."; "The hydro bill is due on the fifteenth."; "I didn't pay my hydro bill so they shut off my lights." Hence hydrofield, a line of electricity transmission towers, usually in groups cutting across a city, and hydro lines/poles, electrical transmission lines/poles.
  • keener: Someone that is keen or enthusiastic to do a task.
  • LC: Short for "Liquor Commission". Refers to a government-operated liquor store.
  • loonie: Canadian one dollar coin. Derived from the use of the loon on the reverse.
  • parkade: a parking garage, especially in the West.
  • pencil crayon: coloured pencil origin: bilingual package label Pencil (English) Crayon (French word for pencil).
  • pogie: term referring to unemployment insurance, which is now officially called Employment Insurance in Canada. Derived from the use of pogey as a term for a poorhouse.
  • runners:[running shoes, sneakers, especially in Western Canada.Also used in Australian English and Irish English.
  • stag and doe: a joint male and female party prior to their wedding.
  • tie one on: to go out to drink alcoholic beverages and become very inebriated (primarily in Western Canada - Saskatchewan).
  • take off!: An expression of disbelief or denial.
  • tuque: a knitted winter hat, often with a pompon on the crown. Sometimes spelled toque.
  • two-four: A case of 24 beers.
Canadian Slang Words
Source: Bill Casselman

A Canadian---- Could be referring to Molson Canadian Beer

All-Nighter---- Drinking until the next morning

Anglo------ A non-French Canadian

A shot------ One ounce of liquor

Away------- Used to describe someone who has left one of the eastern Provinces and moved west.

Brain Drain---- Exodus of Canadian professionals seeking employment in the USA.

Brew--------- A beer as in "let's go for a brew"

Butts-------- Cigarettes

Clicks-------- Used instead of kilometers or miles

Dole--------- Government Assistance

Down East---- All Provinces east of where you are

Eh?----------- What did you say? Repeat that please or know what I mean?

Ex------------ Short for Molson Export beer

Forty ouncer--- 40 ounce bottle of liquor

Francophone--- A French Canadian

Get Lost------- Insisting that someone leave you alone

Goof---------- A moron or idiot

Gradge------- Garage

Hammered----- Very drunk

Hogtown------ Nickname for Toronto

Johnny on the spot-- Portable toilet at outdoor event

Mickey----- 13 ounce of liquor

Mounties--- Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Newfie--- A person from the Province of Newfoundland

Polluted--- Very drunk

Poutine--- Fries with gravy and cheese curds

Shinny--- A game of hockey played on the streets

Shooters-- Drinking one- ounce shots of liquor

Skull Cramp- A bad headache

The Can- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

The John-- Bathroom, toilet, lavatory

Toonie-- Canada's two dollar-coin

Tronno---- Toronto

Twenty Sixer-- 26 ounce bottle of liquor

Weed--- Marijuana

Yankee-- Any US citizen

Zed--- The letter after Y

Cute! I'm originally from Minnesota, and we used a few of those!

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cute! I'm originally from Minnesota, and we used a few of those! Yes, I noticed that too. There never is a sharp boundary when it comes to language and vocabularies... it just sort of blends from one to another.

Back