Why are the MAC MA so rude?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my recent experience:

I'm really frustrated with the lack of, customer service, at the MAC store on Colorado in Pasadena.

I buy MAC 2-3 times a month, Little bit o' haulin', my recent purchases. I try to go when it's not so busy so I can get in and out. Sometimes I buy a few things most times a lot. On my recent trip to the store, I walked in, was greeted and proceeded to look around. Once I was ready I made eye contact with one of the makeup artist and she said someone would be out soon. There were three MA's on the floor giving "going-out-that night makeovers. Everytime a MA came out from the back they walked up to someone who had just walked in and started helping them without asking, "who was here first?" I think it's reasonable to expect they would. Once they were done they disappeared into the back. What's back there anyway? I had to ask for help three times, in the midst of all this 3 customers walked out. They weren't even acknowledged. I'm an easy customer, I have a list, I know what I want. If I could get the products myself I would. I go to this store because it's less than 10 minutes from my house. I didn't leave because I wasn't sure if I would have the time to go to the Pro store the next day and I needed to get these items.

The other thing I've noticed about this store is the MA's are rather snobby. It's like I'm doing them a favor by buying MAC. From all the stories I've read about girls wanting to work for MAC and being so excited when they get the call back - where's that enthusiasm /excitement towards the customer?

Pro Store on Robertson: The staff in this store is always great! Everyone greets you and no matter how busy the store is or gets everyone is helped. They assure you they will help you shortly and apologize if you had to wait a few minutes. I don't know if it's that the staff in this store doesn't constantly fluctuate but I've never had a bad experience. I've gone it with friends who were buying and I bought nothing. But I left feeling like a valued, albeit window shopping, customer.

So clearly I'll have to drive to the Pro Store as they value me as a customer. I think everyone that walks through MAC's door should be treated the same, no matter how much they do/do not purchase. No I'm not telling anyone how to do they're job. I'm just giving my experience/perspective/what I would like as a customer.

Thats terrible. Some Ma's at the Macys counter are like that. I agree @ the pro stores their a little snobby for the most part the the freestanding store has been the best and also the pro store on south beach. I guess you just got to get on their good side..

Hm...I've never had a bad experience at the Paseo MAC.

But it sucks that you have to drive to Robertson just to get good service!

I've had maybe 3 negative experiences, and I finally wrote MAC about them. MAC takes their CS VERY seriously, and they offered me a free gift and said they hoped I'd remain a customer. Unfortunately, I reckon there always just has to be one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch
frown.gif

I think because MAc is so popular, thier MAs feel as though if YOU dont buy it, someone else will. there will always be someone else who wants to buy it. so why bother with you?

Since having moved to the bay area...most MA's are nothing but snobby pretentious b1tches! I have been to a couple of pro mac stores, and a macy and nordstrom. There all pretty much the same..although i did a little experiment..where i would dress down...and then i would dress quite posh..and it's all about appearances..well most of the time..at least what i've noticed! Sigh!

That's reality..and sucks! I find that if i need anything, i prefer to go to Sephora.

I tend to be a bit smarter and when i don't get the attention i need, i flip out my notepad and pencil and ask any of the MA's if i can get the manager and start writing names down and act like i am friends with one of the Mac's executive...< whatever sounds good>. ...usually it works..

I only do this if i have nothing better to do...but in any case...most of the time..i just end up "mehing" and come back another day.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've had maybe 3 negative experiences, and I finally wrote MAC about them. MAC takes their CS VERY seriously, and they offered me a free gift and said they hoped I'd remain a customer. Unfortunately, I reckon there always just has to be one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch
frown.gif
I'm sick of complaining. It's seems the problem, if addressed, is not being taken seriously.

Originally Posted by empericalbeauty /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think because MAc is so popular, thier MAs feel as though if YOU dont buy it, someone else will. there will always be someone else who wants to buy it. so why bother with you? I agree. But I woud think hell "she" comes in here a lot and always knows what she wants, let me help her. Like I said, "I have a list, I know what I want." I've read on difference boards where the MAC MA state what they don't like in customers and feel that when you have one that you don't have to "sell" to, it's pretty easy to help them.

Yeah, I noticed that the MAs at the Brea store can be pretty snooty or will just plain ignore you. Last time I went, the girl was nice but she made it seem as if I was bugging her. The times I've gone before it took forever to get someone to help me and my friend. One chick totally ignored us, even though it was obvious we were waiting to get helped, and made a beline to a couple of other woemen who just walked into the store. I figured it was because me and my friend had pretty natural makeup on and she figured the ladies who were extremely made up would be easier sales.

I've never had bad experiences at the Nordstroms counter at Brea though. They are always cheery and so helpful, and I think they do a better job of mu there, than at the store. Macy's in West Covina have nice MAs working there as well.

Originally Posted by chococat123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Since they are on commission, I'm thinking it has to do with appearance as well. For example, when I sometimes go on errands to the mall, I may look bummy and the MUA won't even look at me or help me. They probably think that I probably won't buy much products vs. someone walking in with a full face of makeup and dressed nicely. They might assume that the person dressed nicely will most likely buy more products.
This is just a speculation!

Not all are on commission. My local MAC isn't commission-based pay. Pays pretty good money too! So, I'm not thinking it's so much that for them all.
And you're right MsCuppyCakes, complaining doesn't seem to be helping the matter either. Was it a regular MA, or maybe a freelancer? I know it seems a lot of times the MAs are rude, they end up being a freelancer/stand-in.

Originally Posted by lummerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif Since having moved to the bay area...most MA's are nothing but snobby pretentious b1tches! I have been to a couple of pro mac stores, and a macy and nordstrom. There all pretty much the same..although i did a little experiment..where i would dress down...and then i would dress quite posh..and it's all about appearances..well most of the time..at least what i've noticed! Sigh!That's reality..and sucks! I find that if i need anything, i prefer to go to Sephora.

I tend to be a bit smarter and when i don't get the attention i need, i flip out my notepad and pencil and ask any of the MA's if i can get the manager and start writing names down and act like i am friends with one of the Mac's executive...< whatever sounds good>. ...usually it works..

I only do this if i have nothing better to do...but in any case...most of the time..i just end up "mehing" and come back another day.

i'm not sure where in the bay area you're from but here in San Francisco, there's this really nice MA at the Bloomingdale's counter. her name is Lydia. she's really nice. next week, when i go back to the Bloomingdale's counter for the Curiousitease collection, i hope that she's working. i need help on what to get from the collection and i think she would be the best in helping me make my decision.

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Not all are on commission. My local MAC isn't commission-based pay. Pays pretty good money too! So, I'm not thinking it's so much that for them all.
And you're right MsCuppyCakes, complaining doesn't seem to be helping the matter either. Was it a regular MA, or maybe a freelancer? I know it seems a lot of times the MAs are rude, they end up being a freelancer/stand-in.

To be honest I don't know. This is a free standing MAC store. I might go in sometime this week, as I have B2M and only want to get a few items, from my "list." I was told they don't work on commission in this store.

I was thinking it might have to do with commission also.. but after what you said Aquila, maybe they're just rude for no reason?

I don't understand it. In oz, most of the MA's are working on commission, I have several friends who work for different companies and all of them get commission.. it annoys me when you get a rude MA and you know that they probably work with someone who deserved your sale a lot more than them.. silly, but it's how I feel, lol

Originally Posted by MsCuppyCakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif To be honest I don't know. This is a free standing MAC store. I might go in sometime this week, as I have B2M and only want to get a few items, from my "list." I was told they don't work on commission in this store. Yeah, if they're not commission-based, then I see no reason for a seriously shitty attitude. Hell, I see no need for one to begin with! Hopefully this next experience is a much more pleasant one. Maybe, just to see, call the MA out on her behavior to manager who is in. Just pray it isn't the skank being a meanie LOL!

Originally Posted by Aquilah /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, if they're not commission-based, then I see no reason for a seriously shitty attitude. Hell, I see no need for one to begin with! Hopefully this next experience is a much more pleasant one. Maybe, just to see, call the MA out on her behavior to manager who is in. Just pray it isn't the skank being a meanie LOL! Yeah, I have no problem calling them out, again sometimes I think why bother. But if it happens again I'll say something. PM'd ya.

oh my.....i guess MAC's MA have some issue with their training? or their status? i happen to encounter with rude MA in my country.

Yea, every MAC store I go to, their SA is always so rude. They also rush you and just gets really impatient. I never receive the warm, welcoming service like at other makeup stores. I noticed that the MAC artist and SA at nordstrom's are nicer than at other places..so I only visit those stores. Hahaha. I can't stand going into a actual MAC store and not a MAC counter. It's just wayyy too much for me.

Hi,

It amazes me how many unpleasant experiences I'm reading through right here. If the SAs are being rude, complain to MAC front offices. When they become overwhelmed with complaints, they'll realize changes will have to be made.

i've had the same experience once at Makeup Forever, in that case, my answer is simple, i have a bus/underground card, i use it and i know most sephora stores here carry the brand, so i'll go to one where i know customers are valued instead of the dept store of that brand. their loss.

I agree, alot of bad experiences. I just wanted to add that I think appearance has a big deal to do with it too. Ive been to MAC wearing almost no makeup, and then wearing a lot more and dressed a little nicer, and the service was totally different. Whenever Im planning to stop at MAC now I put a little more effort into my makeup and the MA's are so sweet and helpful lol.

Of course it shouldnt be like this, and if you work in customer service, you should help every customer regardless and make sure your clientale is happy, thats just common sense. Maybe because they work at MAC it gets to their egos...?

Latest posts

Back