Kabuki or Flat Top Foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always used a Flat Top foundation brush to apply my foundations, but I see a ton of references to using Kabukis. I've always used those for finishing powders or something that needs light overall coverage.

Which do you prefer, and why?

For me, it actually depends on the brand. For my Lumiere, I like my little Lumiere flat-top. And then I use my big kabuki for my She Space finishing powder. If I am wearing UGloGirl (which I will do if I have an especially oily-skin day--LOL) I use a larger synthetic flat-top (it's about twice the size and much less dense than that Lumiere flat-top). And if I'm using Mineral Basics or Aromaleigh foundation, I use a kabuki. I think I prefer different brushes for different makeup because the finishes of the makeup vary. With the flat-tops, I get a bit heavier coverage, and with the kabuki, it's more of an airbrushed, lighter coverage (which is probably why I really like a kabuki for my finishing powder).
smile.gif
I just put in a smiley--one of these days, I'll get enough posts for it to show up!!! LOL!!!

Oh my gosh, I can see the smiley!!! YAY!!! I must have enough posts now!!! LOL!!!

I always use a kabuki whether it is wet or dry application. It's easier to use to me and gives me better converage.

Oh, bummer. I guess my smilies don't show up in the actual thread, but just in the area where I'm posting my message. Oh well, one of these days!!!

Kabuki for me. It always performs a lot better than a flat top in my case.

I only have an EoB kabuki, but I really want to purchase a flat top from Silk Naturals. So until I get the flat top, I really can't say.

I prefere kabuki. I just can't apply my foundation evenly with the flat top. I use it for the concealer and for the finishing powder.

The other brush which is great for foundation aplication is a powder brush from the synthetic premium line. I bought it at Aubrey Nicole. At first I didn't like it, but when I got used to it, now I think it's a great brush.

Flat top brush is sort of annoying, it sort of leaves some streaks at times. Kabuki the best =)

I use a flat top to get the best coverage for me. My sister has an awesome Smashbox kabuki that she bought at Costco. Her coverage is amazing.

Originally Posted by agatapas /img/forum/go_quote.gif I prefere kabuki. I just can't apply my foundation evenly with the flat top. I use it for the concealer and for the finishing powder.
The other brush which is great for foundation aplication is a powder brush from the synthetic premium line. I bought it at Aubrey Nicole. At first I didn't like it, but when I got used to it, now I think it's a great brush.

The same premium line can be found at Silk Naturals for a much cheaper price.

I've never used a flat top but find my lumiere kabuki brush quite useful/effective.

I use my Kabuki brush that I bought from EDM. Gives great coverage. I actually just bough their new kabuki brush that has a long handle..so we'll see how that one works out!

I prefer a kabuki brush over a flat top brush. Whenever I use a flat top brush, the coverage is not very good (I think my brush is too soft). I do have the Philosophy Supernatural Airbrush which has a super dense head that I use around my nose. It would be the perfect flat top if it was larger.

I tried a kabuki today. There must be a reason why PurelyCosmetics says to use their flat top foundation - dang, that kabuki went on just awful for me. I don't know if it's the brush or the foundation, that defines which combination to use, but I could not for the life of me get even coverage - much less much on my face. The flat top just seems so much easier to me to get it on evenly and buff it in. With the kabuki, I had a whole bunch in the center, but no matter whether I tapped on the side or tapped the bottom against the counter, I couldn't get it to even out on the brush. Or my face. I actually had to wash it all off and start over again!

I like both my Cat Kabuki and my Stila Flat Top, but I voted flat top because it uses less and gives slightly better coverage.
smile.gif

Back