The value of a US dollar = down considerably.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how everything in our economy is really bad. We are trillions of dollars in debt, and the value of our dollar has even been surpassed by Canada's dollar -- which hasn't happened, I think since the 70's. It's been said that charges for gas are now going to be calculated in Euro's, and US dollars will not be accepted... and I think another country just adopted the Euro as their form of currency. It may turn out that in the future, all of the things in our country may be bought in Euro's instead of dollars. This may not really seem like a big deal, but the value of our dollar is down, and that is bad news for us. I wanted to know what you thought about this new issue.

I think that this is an awesome idea, that maybe one day we will adopt Euro's. I do think that it is going to be one hell of a time with our country having to deal with gas and such in Euro's, if it ever gets to the point (which I think, and the gas sellers think it will).

The value of the US dollar declining is a very good thing in my books as I am in Australia. When I order anything from the US it is much more afordable for me. Also my company buys many of its products in US dollars so that helps me too. May even consider another holiday to the US if it stays that way.
smile.gif

I just saw something on the news about folks from other countries actually taking trips just to shop here. They charter flights and everything. They save hundreds of dollars. Americans on the other hand had severe sticker shock when they travelled as our dollar wasn't buying them much on their trips.

It's mainly due to Kelly buying an expensive laptop made in China the way I way see it!! hahaha... Canadians are flocking accross the border to buy cheap X-mas gifts here... and let me check the light switch.... Yep it works...... so I figure the coal business is booming....
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's mainly due to Kelly buying an expensive laptop made in China the way I way see it!! hahaha... Canadians are flocking accross the border to buy cheap X-mas gifts here... and let me check the light switch.... Yep it works...... so I figure the coal business is booming....
biggrin.gif
such a comedian

Originally Posted by KellyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif such a comedian I'd swear that the stock market took a dive when you anounced that "It's here" hahahaha Or maybe it had something to do with the price of oil.... lol

Ya know I took Economics in College and I made an A though don't ask me how b/c I still don't undertand why we don't just print more money to pay our bills. I'm kidding. I understand the concept but the rise and fall of the dollar I never got.

Well I guess it's bad news for you guys but it's good for me because I've been wanting to go on a trip somewhere in the US for shopping.
smile.gif

I (and my family) have not been investing with American dollars, but with Euros and Swiss Franks for a while now... I think many fellow business owners and serious investors have sniffed this coming along downwind and spoke of this amongst ourselves. My local investment club has also switched it's medium of currency from USD to Euros whenever possible.

I know, it's a bad thing when everybody else starts doing it, but I really try not to let my interests get hit hard. I want my cash to make me more cash, not turn into monopoly play money sitting in brick and mortar bank savings accounts (which thankfully, I use another medium for that). I think that last part is what scares people... that the money that they think they're "accruing" is actually worth less than what they started with in some sad cases.

I consider myself to be a very shrewd person... I am definitely finding ways to prevent this fiscal disturbance from getting me down.

I won't speak anymore about the topic, unless directly asked, but here is one book and author many people should get their hands on:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki

Originally Posted by KellyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just saw something on the news about folks from other countries actually taking trips just to shop here. They charter flights and everything. They save hundreds of dollars. Americans on the other hand had severe sticker shock when they travelled as our dollar wasn't buying them much on their trips. Very true,but you would think that would help our economy?

On the positive side I have made a lot in a couple pacific rim funds lately!!! and as long as you don't travel outside of the US it doesn't matter... much... Hey!! Maybe we could start making some of our own products again.... anyone remember how??? lol

Originally Posted by Karren_Hutton /img/forum/go_quote.gif On the positive side I have made a lot in a couple pacific rim funds lately!!! and as long as you don't travel outside of the US it doesn't matter... much... Hey!! Maybe we could start making some of our own products again.... anyone remember how??? lol lol i know.

well I have to agree with Anthea.. it's good for us Aussies!

still, it's not great if you're investing.

Farris, if you think me going on a shopping spree will help the US economy, well, hell - I guess I'll just have to take it for the team and go over there and spend up big
biggrin.gif

It's great for us in the UK as well. I've been buying loads of stuff from the US. Even with shipping it's much cheaper than buying over here.

YES! thank God someone else was finally able to notice this. Coming next year, Naira (the Nigerian Currency) will be equivalent to the US dollar. currently, $1.00 is 149 naira approximately. But by next year, $1.00 is going to be 1 N. Its pretty sad because I remember back in the day when if you told people you were coming to America, they will regard you as a wealthy person but now...you get a blank facial expression as a response and possibly a laugh.

Its good for us british

i'm sure for every £ its $2 these days

This is why I will order stuff from America these days lol

I think it's great.......I live just across the border from the US and many years ago we would go to the US shopping but exchange rates just got so ridiculous that we stopped......now we can again.........well till the end of the year anyway..........can't cross anymore unless you have a passport.....which I do, but many people do not.

I say there's nothing wrong with other countries economies growing instead of the US for a change!

Bill Clinton was actually getting us out of debt at one point, too bad our current president ruined that.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Nox.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back