What is the perfect makeup gift?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my best friend for life doesn't wear any makeup at all, but always says its because she just doesn't want to spend money on it. So, this Christmas I'm going to go all out and get her an awesome array of the best makeup out there (well not the BEST). I have about a $300 limit and normally I don't spend that much REMOVED by ADMIN Does anyone have any suggestions? I want everything from foundation, to mascara, to favorite eye shadows. Thanks!

for that much cash you need to spend a day at the makeup counter! i'd test everything possible! macy's or sephora would do the trick!

Maybe you should put part of it on a gift card and then accompany her to the makeup counter; that why she can get a makeover, find out what colors would well for her, and get a few lessons on how to apply makeup.

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe you should put part of it on a gift card and then accompany her to the makeup counter; that why she can get a makeover, find out what colors would well for her, and get a few lessons on how to apply makeup. great idea !!that way that's be a special girls' day. hit a sephora or a MAC store and have fun
smile.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif great idea !!that way that's be a special girls' day. hit a sephora or a MAC store and have fun
smile.gif

Ditto on that, I love that idea. Wow a $300 limit??? Can I be your friend?? hehe
Also, I would recommend palettes, especially ones that have eyeshadows and blushes, those are always handy and most have such awesome shades, you can't go wrong!

Originally Posted by Faith-Abigail /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe you should put part of it on a gift card and then accompany her to the makeup counter; that why she can get a makeover, find out what colors would well for her, and get a few lessons on how to apply makeup. I totally agree! You could have a girls day shopping for makeup, go out for lunch etc. That would be fun!
smile.gif

I'd like to urge some caution for a couple of reasons.

1: The person may really not want makeup. So unless she's specifically expressed interest I'd buy something else.

2: People like to receive gifts. But a 300 dollar gift can leave one feeling awkward and uncomfortable. Some may be left feeling like they owe you.

I'm willing to bet more than anything she wants your friendship. Take her to lunch, tell her what a great friend she is, and give her a small moderate gift. She won't feel uneasy and will build your relationship.

At the same time, though, it's nice to be given luxourious gifts. A few years ago, I didn't know much about makeup, had terrible skin, and felt really self-conscious when meeting new people. Well, my boyfriend (now husband) took me to Macys, sat me down at a makeup counter, and paid for a makeover, a ton of skin care items, and a few makeup sets so that I could play around with makeup and find out what I liked. After a few weeks, my skin cleared up enormously and I knew enough about makeup to really experiment with it. I'm really greatful he did that for me because if he hadn't I wouldn't have known where to start and would probably still be using all the wrong products in all the wrong ways.

If she doesn't want to spend so much on MU then why not just buy her cheaper makeup so she knows that it doesn't always have to hurt her wallet?

Originally Posted by illumiiinate /img/forum/go_quote.gif So my best friend for life doesn't wear any makeup at all, but always says its because she just doesn't want to spend money on it. So, this Christmas I'm going to go all out and get her an awesome array of the best makeup out there (well not the BEST). I have about a $300 limit and normally I don't spend that much REMOVED by ADMIN Does anyone have any suggestions? I want everything from foundation, to mascara, to favorite eye shadows. Thanks! As one said earlier, go for MAC

I'd go for a make-up gift certificate. I certainly wouldn't want anyone (not even my husband) choosing make-up colors for me.

OR you can go the route of buying her a "makeover" and then buying the makeup of the look she likes... I am a very picky girl when it comes to makeovers so i will try to critique the colors i dont like or the textures that dont suit me, and have them redo till its right, and of course, it's rewarded buy a big purchase... which is what you seem to want do!

and when it comes to makeovers (and eople who wear no makeup) i stay away from MAC counters in general, only because the colors and the syle is a little intimidating... I take new to makeup girls to Stila, that's where i took a few of my bridesmaids...

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif OR you can go the route of buying her a "makeover" and then buying the makeup of the look she likes... This is a brillant idea IMO!

I love what everyone else said in here, buying her a giftcard and/or a makeover and spending a day with her to shop for makeup would be a sweet idea. I dont like when other people buy makeup for me either, I'm pretty picky, which is why I always ask for giftcards for Christmas instead of actual products.

How good are your makeup skills? Before you take her to an actual makeover at a counter you could try out a couple looks on her to see what she likes. And even if you take her to MAC, just make sure they know shes new to wearing makeup and doesn't need an extreme look. I'm sure she can tell them this herself.

I think if you take her to get a professional makeover and then buy her the makeup that she wants, that is the most perfect way to spend a nice day together and teach her new things, and get her new things that she wants.

And make sure she wants to get into makeup for sure lol, you don't want to spend all that money and have this great day, and then she has all this great makeup she doesnt wear. Tell her about the good products you can find in drugstores too, because they are cheap and sometimes you find really good makeup there too.

You should try neutral shades with your friend. Try a gift card at first. I would recommend Perfumania. They sell the Mattese NYC line of cosmetics. It is affordable in there is so much to choose from.

Back