Bright--no, I mean VERY bright eyeshadow.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love viewing the FoTDs here, however I've found that though every girl applies her makeup beautifully on the forum, that I do not see many BRIGHT eyeshadows. Now, of course this is up to ones own taste and willingness to wear bright eyeshadow.

My question simply is--do you think the girls who like to wear bright shades, such as oranges, yellows, cyans, lime greens, etc., and have very bold and vibrant eyeshadow combinations on are.. ridiculous?

I merely ask this because I find that I love uber bright shades. Granted, I'm only 20, and therefore I may like to be bolder in my makeup, and also granted I don't wear these combinations on a daily basis. This is also considering that my clothing 'style' can be considered.. alternative? Or at the very best not 'preppy.' More so, I'm the style that loves her piercings, loves multi-colored hair, etc. Nonetheless, I love to wear combinations such as yellow, orange, and hot pink, or electric blue with an emerald green, or hot pink with black, etc. Perhaps more of a 'scene' look for lack of a better term?

In your own opinion, do you frown upon girls who do this? I do not wear anything other than the bright eyeshadow, liner, and lashes. I wear clear gloss and a little blush to bring some color onto my rosy ivory complexion--to account for the bold eyes, I tone everything else down.

Sometimes I feel like people look at me as if I'm Mimi from Drew Carey. Other times I get compliments from a lot of girls about my eye makeup. I'm comfortable with what I wear, but sometimes I wonder what other people think about the heavy eye makeup.

Originally Posted by mandilly /img/forum/go_quote.gif do you think the girls who like to wear bright shades, such as oranges, yellows, cyans, lime greens, etc., and have very bold and vibrant eyeshadow combinations on are.. ridiculous? Ive seen pix of girls who use these colors very well and I don't think it looks ridiculous ..to me its art
smile.gif

I would never frown upon someone with heavy or bright eye make-up (or make-up in general) since when I was younger I also loved heavy make-up so I know how much fun it is. All this experimenting and trying out new combinations is awesome, and if you enjoy it and feel comfortable with it - perfect!! Nowadays, I prefer a more toned down look (also because of the field I work in), but I really enjoy seeing girls with well applied bright make-up. I think application is a key term, since if it's badly or sloppily applied it can definitely ruin the effect.

I know, from my own experience, that there are always peeople who stare, but I discovered that lots of them stare not because they don't like it, but because they're interested! So, I would never frown on a girl with heavy make-up but rather admire her abilities and the fun she has with it.

I like bright and non bright makeup everybody has diffrent taste and everybody should rock their eyeshadow in any color they like.

I wear it all. Right now as I type I'm wearing bright blues and bright purple makeup...

I was stared at all day, dunno for good or bad reasons. But I don't care. Wear what you like.

i love neutral eyeshadows and bright eyeshadows, but I think there's a time and place to wear the bright colors. I wear them on the weekend when going out, but during the week at work ...i stick to more neutral tones for a more professional appearance.

I think its cool but I never have time to wear such colors because Im either at an internship or work so I dont wear those colors as much as I used to. Also other sites have mostly teenage girls who wear bright colors for school and stuff. Im mostly talking about livejournal communities though.

I personally can not get away with wearing such bright e/s colors, because of my hair/skin tone, but I do really like how it looks.

I have one friend, who wears lime green/yellow/orange/reds/electic blue everyday. She dresses somewhat preppy/casual but it works on her.

We have to wear all black at work, so the only color we can get away with is our makeup. I tend to wear really bright lipsticks.

I don't see any problem with wearing what you want as long as you're not in an environment where it's not allowed such as work, etc. I am somewhere in between. I will wear bright shadows and very pale or neutral lips and blush, or I will tone down the eyeshadow and wear brighter lips. Depends on my mood.

IMO, as long as what you're doing isn't hurting anyone, there's no reason to hold back.
smile.gif

I like to see bright colors on others, but I cannot wear these colors due to my lifestyle. One of my favorites would be to wear orange (tangerine) lipstick, but I think I'm a little too dark for it. I can live vicariously through others, though.

I don't look down on people wearing bright shadows at all. Especially if it's applied well!
smile.gif
I just feel kind of self-conscious when I wear super bright colors out. So I usually wear more neutral type colors out, and experiment and play with bright colors when I'm staying at home! lol.
smile.gif

I do agree that makeup is an art form, though!

I love bright eyeshadows, I get nervous when I wear them because the technique is more noticeable then (and I'm not very good at applying eyeshadows!)...I never wear them to work though, the brightest I've worn is e/s as liners and that's it.

Like the others said, makeup is an art, and I love seeing BRIGHT colors on the people that apply them properly and pull them off well. For me, it just doesn't work, looks silly on me.

We had a girl here on MuT, her display name was jlowe with some numbers I cant remember, she used to post FOTDs almost everyday and she always used BRIGHT colors and she pulled it off perfectly. You should check out her FOTDs. I also love Entipy's FOTDs, she uses unique colors, sometimes bright, always very nice though.

Im a dark girl lol. I will wear the most dramatic smokey eye to church, school, work, wherever, i just LOVE black.

but i dooo love me some bright blue or purple.

But this is all i have of my brightness, i know i go brighter!!:

Mwah037.jpg

Mwah020-1.jpg

i love bright colors! idk how i always end up wearing neutrals, but i certantly appreciate it when people wear it.

I love bright colors, especially really bright greens and purples, but sometimes blues and pinks too. Wear what you like! I think makeup is supposed to be fun, and if a color makes you happy go for it.

I love heavy makeup, bright colors, all that!! And I love people who aren't afraid to go crazy with it. It's just makeup, you can always wash it off.

I'm new to makeup so I probably won't be wearing much in public 'til I master it but once I do, depending on the occassion I could see myself wearing bright colors.

I love bright colors! Most of the time, when I do my makeup, I find myself reaching for the brighter hues. I know that people stare at me and probably make fun of me for it, I really have reached a point of not caring too much. It makes me happy and isn't hurting anyone, and besides, it is just who I am. So bring on the Crayola war paint!!

Back