The diary of a Sephora employee

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
okay, it won't actually be a diary, but i think i'm the only active sephora employee on this website. i think this will be a little interesting for you to read...

i've been working at sephora (in NYC, in the snobbiest area ever, upper east side) for a year and 4 months. i've had more than enough experience to able to write this. not all of it is based completely on working at sephora, but it may also apply to the people that work at counters.

the reason why i'm starting this thread is 1. for me to rant in, 2. you understand your local sephora employees a little better, and 3. cuz i'm so cool.

part I

we have at least 20 brands in our stores, where we not only need to know makeup, but also fragrance and skincare. that's a lot of memorizing, unlike going to a counter. when you ask me a question and i take about 3 seconds to answer, it's cuz i'm going through everything in my head. i'm not trying to come up with a lie. seriously, it's like a fast-forwarding image that i see where i can scan gondolas (each individual brand's "home"), ingredients, trainings, etc. of course, if it's a simple, "which mascara do you recommend?" i'll come up with something quick after asking you what it is you're looking for exactly. if it's something that's like, "which mascara do you recommend that's hypoallergenic, doesn't test on animals, and my great-grandmother doesn't use?" yeah, it'll take me just a little longer to give you an answer. be a little patient. if you feel you can't, help yourself.

part II

an example: one day, a client came into the store and asked me for my help with a foundation. here's the conversation...

her: i need a new foundation.

me: okay, what kinda skin do you have?

her: (looks at me like i have 3 heads and points to her skin) this kind!

me: okay, is it dry, combina...

her: JUST GIVE ME A FOUNDATION!

me: i can give you any kind of foundation, but i can't promise you'll be happy with it cuz i don't even know if it'll work for you. what kinda coverage?

her: well, i see you need full coverage since you have acne. (this was when i had bad skin)

me: yeah, exactly. here's a foundation for a little... (and i pulled my temples up to show i meant lift) since you have sagging skin.

she got pissed and walked out. why wouldn't she? that stick was so far up her ass i knew she wouldn't stay in one place for long.

moral of the story: when you come to me and ask me for my help with foundations, be ready to answer some questions. if you're not asked any questions, i'd be a little hesitant to follow their advice. don't expect us to just hand you "the best-selling foundation ever!" cuz everyone's different.

the same goes for every other thing. an educated employee will not hand you just anything without asking your story. don't feel like giving it? once again, help yourself.

part III

some employees feel comfortable in one "world" (sephora term for color, skincare, or fragrance). i'm in fragrance, but i jump into color a lot cuz i know my shit and wouldn't mind helping someone who needed help there or in fragrance. however, i'm a little hesitant to go into skincare cuz i feel my other coworkers, like the experts, could definitely help the client better than i can and i don't wanna recommend the wrong thing. don't be offended if you're passed on. it's not that we don't wanna help you, it's just that we can't help you.

part IV

sephora is all about sampling something before you buy it, but i beg: DO NOT COME INTO OUR STORE FOR SAMPLES ON THINGS YOU DON'T PLAN ON BUYING. this takes time away from other people who truly need the help. it's especially annoying when we're really busy during a peak hour and you stop to ask me if you could have a sample of narciso for your bag so you can meet a hot guy on the subway.

an example: there's this client that always comes into the store for samples and she's never once bought anything. we don't work on comission, so we don't care if you don't, but the fact is she takes up our time, wastes our testers, and basically gets a free thing of whatever it is she's sampling cuz she's come in so many times, she could just fill up her own damn jar.

part V

some people are stupid. okay, a lot of people are stupid. i know that. those people never cease to amaze me. if i'm standing right there talking to you and you take a clinique lipstick and put it in the benefit gondola cuz the new lipstick i gave you appeals to you more, put the damn clinique lipstick in my hand since i'm standing right next to you, watching you put that down in the wrong place.

have fun on your next sephora adventure
top.gif

Oh wow, I was reading through a lot of this and thinking how similar my job is to yours, the sales aspect anyway. I work at a bank, and I work with customers over the internet but I deal with a lot of the same frustrations and obstacles, because often people want you to know exactly what product to give them, but don't have the patience to answer a few simple questions. Or they get mad when I have to refer them to a more specialized department. Or they're rude for no apparent reason. I can imagine how much more annoying this would be in person.

Originally Posted by Jennifer 3. cuz i'm so cool. Originally Posted by Jennifer me: yeah, exactly. here's a foundation for a little... (and i pulled my temples up to show i meant lift) since you have sagging skin. Originally Posted by Jennifer but i jump into color a lot cuz i know my shit Originally Posted by Jennifer some people are stupid. okay, a lot of people are stupid. Damn Jennifer... I sure have missed your posts. You always make me laugh. I look forward to reading more of your rants and raves.

LOL wow, good thing i never buy any makeup at sephora xD

suddenly i feel smart, cause i know im never gonna buy anything over there and i wont have to be rude or waste anyones time or look at the employees like the have to know my future and like they have to know about my whole life just to be able to get some foundation haha

haha I love it! Sadly I've never been to sephora but I won't be rude to the workers when i do go!

OMG!!!Keep this up--this iss way too good--I fit into to Sephora category that "puts on the dog" because I am in Sephora. I actually dress to go into a Sephora. I bet ya'll hate me. LOLLOLLOL I love it.

That customer sounds so awful! How often do you encounter mean customers like that?

Hey Jenn:

Thanks for the journal. Very interesting, humorous and informative.

Originally Posted by Jennifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif me: yeah, exactly. here's a foundation for a little... (and i pulled my temples up to show i meant lift) since you have sagging skin. lol !!
add_wegbrech.gif
after working on the phone i've realised people expect you to be their servant, the little slave working in the closet. but i am actually impressed when i see the salespeople jumping form one brand to another.

I used to work for a call center for a clothing store.

I understand how people can be so rude and impatient.

PPL would call and expect you to do this and that and then get mad when you are taking too long.

I love you Jennifer! That was so awesome! Loved it! I don't work in Sephora, but I know that crap would bother me too! You'll have to do more "entries!"

lol. At least you had a good comeback for that evil woman with the sagging skin!

I'll never understand how people can be so damn rude!!!

Good for you with the sagging skin comment! I despise rude people and I am extra nice to employees when shopping. Why? Because I worked as a manager at Wet Seal in two different malls for about 5 years and I have many horror stories .

Keep this up! This is great. It will make you feel better too. Getting it all out.

You're awesome! I swear one day I will run into you at Sephora when I'm in NYC... Keep up the diary, it was great!

Awesome Jen! I love it!

I completely understand you. Working in a clothing store has made me realize how many stupid and rude people are there.

Haha, this is really funny! I enjoyed reading it. Please keep posting more of the same!!

Good for you for not taking her crap haha. Just because you work there doesn't mean you have to slave for people. You should keep up with those diaries, they're interesting.

Latest posts

Back