When should they start wiping themselves?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my daughter just turned 4...when do they typically wipe their bum after they poo? Around this age or a bit older?

My daughter was around 4. I wanted her to learn but as with any situation when they are learning, there is the chance for messiness. They should be able to wipe themselves before starting school I think but that is only my personal opinion. Remember too that my toddler is 21 now. Its been a while.

Well, I watch 2-5 year olds on Sundays during church...but most of them are actually 4 going on 5. They are able to wipe themselves once they reach that age (although sometimes they have troubles getting their clothes back on). I would say now would be a good time to start.
smile.gif

I agree with the previous postings. I was a full time nanny of 3 boys for 3 years -- I would teach them how to wipe properly, but watch them for awhile before I left them to do it on their own.

Mine are 5 and I have just started them now.

Kids are funny, My twins wipe themselves at school and have been for two years but at home they revert back to baby mode

I would say around now, before they go to school and I would invest in some of those flushable moist wipes. Works wonders for them.

I have twins that just turned 6 and they have been doing it with the flushable wipes since they were about 4 1 /2.

i would say 4-5 also, however as you dont know if they can do it straight away you should just watch and make sure, just like in the bath you wash them, but there comes a time they want to do that themselves so you make sure that if they do it themselves they do the job properly as you want them to be clean as possible. hth. nic

Kylie's 3, and she has the idea. I've told her to pat instead to make sure she's not too rough, which I saw her do once.

My daughter is 2, almost 3, and she wipes her own hiney. She forgets sometimes after she pees, but whenever she has a stinky she wipes really well.

I am still working on the potty with my 3 year old son. I can't wait until he can wipe himself. I suppose he needs to potty regularly first!

I hope my Daughter is easier than he has been!

I HATE POTTY TRAINING!!!!!! *as I clean up yet another accident*

3 to do it by themselves.. i get the kandoo wipes b/c its easier for them to clean themselves with. My son used them til he was 4 and now just uses regular tp..my daughter is 3 and we still help her if she goes # 2...

Latest posts

Back