My rat just scared the "you know what" out of me!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 3 rats. Tweety, who just had surgery and is recovering very well. Her incision has closed and she's doing great. Oink, who is sweet but aloof and Moo, who scared me to death about 45 minutes ago. She is a huge rat. HUGE. Ginormous. LOL My mom had given her some treats and she started choking. Not EVER hearing of a rat choking and not knowing it is a common thing, I panicked. I came on the Internet to read about rats choking and learned that she would be fine if we just left her alone and let her pass it on her own. In the process of finding out, I held her upside down and did the heimlich on her. She started coughing and trying to pass it, so hopefully I did some good. I did stroke her throat though while doing this, so I hope to God that I didn't do any damage, but she seems to be fine now and she's running around and drinking water. I have had the most stressful start to a new year in my entire life. Will it ever end?

Anyway, I think she's ok. I'm probably gonna take her with me to work tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her and have her vet look at her if she starts acting funny again.

This is too funny!! I can just picture you doing the heimlich on a rat
rotfl.gif
. I hope she's okay tough and she doesn't give you any more scares
smile.gif

If she is running around she is probably alright. Glad she is better.

I had a rat a few years back - Rachel was her name. She was about 2 when I got her. Sadly, she developed a large tumour under her armpit. She didn't pass on because of the tumour - benine - but she lost the use of her right arm. I decided it was best to have her put to sleep.

It was one of the hardest things I've done as she was a great pet and a wonderful companion.

IMO the only thing wrong with rats is that they don't live long enough.

I had a rat that was enormous, not fat just huge. He would just stare at me creepily. He also tried to steal all the food from his much smaller brother (from the same littler) I would try to feed them seperatly so Alphie didnt starve. The other one would lunge at me to get food. He was so weird, lol. When I took him to the vet customers thought he was a ferret, lol. He is the one that died from kidney failure. I miss him, but he freaked me out, lol. Thats the guy I mentioned in your previous post.

poor little thing! glad to hear she's ok!

K, you're a good fur-parent so I'm sure you did your best to help her.

glad to hear she's ok!

no offense but i could never imagine having a pet rat! they're just soo creepy to me.

Wow... I've never heard of a rat choking! Glad she seems to be going well... Sorry, but I have to admit, I'm laughing here at the thought of you performing the Heimlich on her... Sorry!

I am so glad your fur baby is fine. I treat all my fur babies like they are my children.

Glad your rat is fine! The Heimlich thing reminds me of the 1st Dr. Doolittle , when Eddie Murphy does CPR on the rat

She's fine, Thanks everyone. LMAO, I know it sounds really funny about doing the Heimlich on a rat.

I got Tweety's biopsy results back today. It was a malignant form of breast cancer but the vet was able to remove it all before it metastasized, so she's going to be fine.

It's amazing how much you can love a rat. LOL

wow ur lucky u caught that on time, i know my rabbit always gives me scares he makes the weirdest sound effects sometimes it scares me cause i think he is choking so i have to rush him to the vet but usually he is just cleaning himself...im glad ur rats are okay =)

Latest posts

Back