Mineral vs Traditional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Source

Mineral makeup is the latest trend in cosmetics. It is sold from department store counters, championed on late night infomercials and touted in fashion magazines. How do the various brands differ, and which one is best for you? How does mineral makeup differ from traditional products? Let’s take a look.

Despite different brand names and marketing strategies, most mineral makeup has remarkably similar ingredients. Some commonly used minerals include micronized titanium dioxide, micronized zinc oxide, iron oxide, silk mica, and hydrated silica.

Micronized titanium dioxide, a common ingredient in sun block products, is particularly suited to protect skin from damaging sunlight. This white mineral’s crystalline structure naturally reflects and defuses the sun’s harmful rays. Micronized zinc oxide works in combination with the micronized titanium dioxide to reflect the sunlight’s dangerous UVA and UVB rays.

Iron oxide is found in nature in red, orange and yellow hues. These pigments are blended into flesh tones for mineral foundations. Silk mica and hydrated silica soften the mineral compounds for use on the skin. Silk Mica gives mineral makeup a smooth texture, and hydrated silica binds the minerals to make them less messy. Individual brands may add secondary ingredients, such as vitamins, extra skin softeners or stronger pigments to neutralize skin tone.

Mineral makeup can counteract a host of familiar challenges. People prone to allergies or with sensitive skin will find mineral makeup contains no irritating dyes or perfumes. They do not use talc and other fillers that can be harmful to the skin. The acne-prone will find mineral makeup is organic, hypoallergenic and oil free; it will not clog pores like some conventional cosmetics.

Unlike traditional cosmetics, mineral foundations can provide sheer to full coverage. A light, sheer finish can be accomplished by moving the applicator brush in small circles on the face. Mineral makeup can also provide a more opaque texture if applied in layers with a damp sponge, much like you would apply liquid foundation. Fortunately, the consistency of mineral makeup gives coverage without the thick, unnatural, pore-clogging consequences of traditional liquid foundation.

Although mineral makeup has been a fixture in high-end department stores and specialty cosmetics shops for several years, a handful of more economical options are now on the market in drugstores. Consumers can expect to pay $25 for upscale mineral makeup brands, while drugstore mineral makeup from Neutrogena and Physician’s Formula range from $9-$12.

With so little variation in actual ingredients, the difference in brands is often limited to marketing strategy. Many brands cater to a specific skin type. For example, Mineralogie claims their mineral makeup is suited to those with oily skin, because it does not include minerals that give other brands a shimmery finish.

interesting article, however I think the author is not aware of existance of all those online companies, who offer really pure mineral makeup.

Good article. I always wondered what some of the ingredients were for and what they did...
smile.gif
Now I know! lol

Great overview! As a new would be convert to MMU, I found this helpful. Thanks!

Thanks for the article, I've been recommended by several people, both here and in real-life, to give mineral make-up a go, so I just might
smile.gif

Arent there different grades of minerals and sources that will affect the product? As well the proportions and the milling will result in different performances of the products.

It's really funny how what's old is new! Minerals were worn by Cleopatra, and I've worn them for quite a few years.

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's really funny how what's old is new! Minerals were worn by Cleopatra, and I've worn them for quite a few years. That kinda makes MMU feel extra special to me ^^.

I think this was very informative, especially the detailed ingredient information. There is one thing, however, that I was hoping the article would address and that is the fact that women who have dry skin should avoid mineral makeup as it is a powder, and although usually talc free, it will still absorb oil from their skin (which will make a dry person much drier) and it will give them a dry, dull look. Also, I have personally noticed that women who have developed from fine lines to actual wrinkles look much older in the powdery mineral makeups than they do in their liquid counterparts, which add a dewy finish to the skin that immitates the natural glow of youthful skin. Finally, I have yet to have a client arrive in mineral makeup and fool me into thinking that they had a clean, foundation free face. Every person I have seen in mineral makeup, from a multitude of brands, looks made up. This could be due to the average person having a hard time applying it properly, or it could be the makeup itself. I think mineral makeup is an exciting possibility, especially for the oily woman, but the companies specializing in this product need to explore a truely "natural" finish that is sheer from the get-go and mistake proof.

Yes mineral makeup does have a steep learning curve. I think a lot of women try too hard to cover up their inperfections and that's when the cakey appearance is obvious.

i agree. i think since women are so used to what amount of traditional makeup they have to use, that when they switch over to mineral makeup they're not used to using tiny amounts to cover the entire face. once you get over the learning curve however, mineral makeup looks fabulous!

Back