I am really starting to worry now...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As many of you probably know, I am going to be out of my parents house again very soon (March 15th!!) and I am starting to get worried about being alone with Evan.

I have been on my own before, but not since having Evan. For almost 2 years I have basically had help with him. If I needed to get in the shower, I could with no worries, I could bring in groceries without having to worry about him...all that.

Just starting to doubt myslef. I know that I can do it...but it's like AHHHH! Everytime that I do something that requires someone to watch Evan real fast I think....what happens when I am all alone??

Needed to vent a little bit. And maybe get some tips? Or just a "you can do it Alex" LOL!

I did it all by myself with 3 boys for 18+ years ,tough but hang in there

My ex and I seperated shortly after my son was born and I lived in my own place until my son was 5! It is definately hard, dont get me wrong, but I loved it! I had such a sense of independance and responsibility and I felt like a true adult! One thing I loved about it was that I was showing my son that he and I were a family and we had our own place like families do! I loved not having to answer to anybody and do whatever I wanted with my space and my money! Sometimes I actually miss it and I want to boot my hubby because living with boys is lame! LOL JK! Just make sure you have plenty of gates and have a safe place you can put him for a little while if you need to get something done quickly! You'll be fine and you'll love it!!

Oh, and I also wanted to add that I was only 19 when I first moved into my own place, so if I could do it, so can you!! LOL

A schedule. It is now important to make a schedule for yourself, Also, do what you can like bathing and other things that you may not want to when he is awake...when he takes a nap.

Yeah - I am planning on taking showers at night and bringing my monitor in the bathroom with me.

I am so paranoid that something will happen when I am not around...every mother has this happen, I am sure
smile.gif

Luckily, we have a schedule pretty pat by now! And he doesn't usually wake up in the AM untill I wake him up!

You will be fine! Just make sure everything is safe, but you know that already.

Fisher Price's Infant to toddler seat is a lifesaver for me. (It looks like a rocking chair) I put Connor in it and buckle him in and put his favorite DVD in when I need to shower and the bf isn't home. I leave the bathroom door open too so I can hear him.

Now that I think about it, that chair comes in handy when I want to make dinner and it's just me and the baby. As long as they are occupied... it's all good. Connor will sit for 45 min to an hour, and that's all the time I really need. I wouldn't want him sitting in front of the tv longer than that.

Aprill is right about a schedule too... and you know as well.
smile.gif

Evan sounds like Connor... he seems like a great baby. I know I got very lucky, Connor is a very well-behaved toddler. He also loves to take naps.

Good luck, it's so exciting being on your own!

i have complete confidence in you. youll do just fine. youll know what to do and when to do it. we are females its natural instinct.

(sorry i couldnt be of more help)

Awww y'all are sweet.

Evan is a really good baby. He knows what "night night" means and doesn't fight it unless there is something exciting going on (like company)...even then it's easy to calm him down. He helps me clean up...he doesn't complain about too much. I have a feeling these terrible twos won't be too bad!

Right now, it's hard to controll him with my step-dad and my mom being here because all he wants to do is go in there with them...I am thinking when I get him away from their spoiled-ness, I should be just fine with keeping him contained, behaving and occupied while I get things done.

I agree that a schedule will help. I shower with my 2 year old. It saves time and I can keep an eye on her. I do a lot when she is asleep, too. You will do fine! It is just the adjustment period that is tough, once you get settled you will like the 'alone' time.

Oh, I'm positive you can do it! You might have to wake up earlier, or go to bed later to get in a shower, but it can work! You learn to take advantage of his naps instead of having someone else keep an eye on him. It takes some adapting, but it can be done!

You will do fine. Change is always hard, but it won't take long and you will get a system down.

There are a ton of great suggestions here. I'm sure you will be able to do it! Don't doubt yourself!! Congrats on moving out!

you can do it! just get creative and get a shower in when he naps or goes to bed at night...

You'll be fine, and it'll be great for you to have your own place, you'll love it once you get into a routine.

You go girl !! Apprehension is normal.. you dont know how it will be and what to do. But once it happens, you will know. We all have a fear of the unknown.. and we worry. But you will see for yourself, once you are in the situation for real, you will know most of the answers and you will find your own way. I dont have kids so I cant say anything directed that way specifically, but I do know life and things have a way of working themselves out.. you will see for yourself.. they will. Its a change and its only natural to be anxious. But in just a few days, you will be well on your way. You will be just fine :). Take a deep breath, calm down and go for it :).

Good Luck and many hugs.

You'll be fine
smile.gif
Once you settle in to your new place you'll settle into a new routine, all the girls have given wonderful advice already, we all have faith in you
smile.gif

It really, really will come naturally. God has just given mothers a natural ability to care for their infants, even when we have NO CLUE what we're doing. I had never changed a diaper until I changed my son's (in the NICU, mind you, with about a million wires wrapped around his legs and nurses watching). My husband was off work for a couple weeks after the birth, and when it was time for him to go back, I was terrified. He even helped my son with latching on and breastfeeding, so I didn't even know how in the world he was going to eat without DH's help! But when I was forced into some serious alone time with my son, it all just came. I understand the worry and nervousness, but you'll know what to do, and if not, then call and ask for advice. I used to call my mom all the time! (And the internet is a GREAT tool for parenting. I didn't have it with my son, but these days, all you have to do is log on to find an answer!) Pretty soon, you'll be cherishing the quality time alone with your little one!

Perfectmistake

Oh my goodness I am in the opposite situation right now (sort of). Have had to come back to live with parents to stay until my baby gets here. I have always been very independent and to come back here and live is driving me stir crazy. The coffee cup is put out for me, the shower is tested before I get in it, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I know I sound ungrateful, but Im 38 and need to be independent. I cannot wait until the baby comes and me and my partner can get a place to live of our own so I can do washing, ironing etc.

Alex-

Best wishes for both of you at your new place! I have been in your situation before and it can be challenging! I know it is a scary thing being on your own but it usually works out better than you think
icon_wink.gif
Hopefully you will still be close to your family and they will continue to offer you some support. You can do it!

Heather

Latest posts

Back