Straight Mica?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all you mmu experts, i did a search and found nothing so sorry if its repetitive(or stupid lol)

can i use pure mica particles on my eyes as eyeshadow ? (with a base or e/s sealant?)

Just colored micas will work- but they don't tend to "stick" well or last for a long time. UDPP or a liner sealer may help, but for best results they really do need to be blended with some sort of base.

I don't know that much about this subject...but I bet someone will be able to come in here and have an answer!

i have checked at my fave store which is selling micas, and apart from the silver mica they clearly say can be worn alone, for the others they indicate ideas to use them in other products, so i guess that means they have to be melted with some base.

Ah, yes. I know what you mean now!

I use the micas from TKB which are the same sort of thing. I apply them with a damp brush to get them to stick. They won't stick if you use them dry.

haha, every post but one was ffrom a mod, hehe

thanks girls
smile.gif
i knew i could count on you

Micas without fillers or additives can be used as eyeshadows. Since colored micas are micas that have been coated with pigments and/or dyes, the more pigmented it is, the more adhesive it tends to be as pigments have good adhesion. You can tell how pigmented a mica is by its opacity. For example, gold fine mica sticks to the skin better than transparent gold mica.

HTH!
smile.gif

I see this sight that have 94 mica for sale in various shades, I'm just wondering, could these be used as pigment or what not? Or are they not the same thing?

Coastal Scents: Ultimate Mica Sample Kit

What's the different between those and these? Which are pigment? I mean, they all look like colored powder to me?

Coastal Scents: Oxides & Pigments

I mean, I see the main ingrediant in Pigment is Mica, so can I just get MICA?

Yeah, I did see that thread but I still had some question... No one answered if they would give the same color pay off, so yeah. = (

I make a line of mineral makeup and can tell you that some micas will stick much better than others.

In that thread mentioned above, there was a link to a gold color from a supplier. I use that ingredient in some of my colors. Honestly, that one in particular will not stay on the skin alone. It is very light and sparkly and doesn't "stick".

A strait oxide color will be much better on it's own but they won't go on smoothly and can be chalky and give uneven color when applied without a base ingredient(s) added.

I hope that helps a little. The basic answer is that over all, no, a strait mica won't stay on the skin well and some won't stay at all.

Jenn

Originally Posted by paintedlayde /img/forum/go_quote.gif I make a line of mineral makeup and can tell you that some micas will stick much better than others. In that thread mentioned above, there was a link to a gold color from a supplier. I use that ingredient in some of my colors. Honestly, that one in particular will not stay on the skin alone. It is very light and sparkly and doesn't "stick".

A strait oxide color will be much better on it's own but they won't go on smoothly and can be chalky and give uneven color when applied without a base ingredient(s) added.

I hope that helps a little. The basic answer is that over all, no, a strait mica won't stay on the skin well and some won't stay at all.

Jenn

Oh, Ic ic. However, if I were to add a base to make it adhere, would you say the color payoff of Mica would be on the same quality of Mac or NYX?

It can be. I've seen some shades that are similar between Mac and minerals but you may have to check MACs ingredients as they may or may not use dyes or pigments in addition to the mica.

Jenn

Oh another point is that it would depend on what base you use too. Some other ingredients common to eye colors can vary widely on what they offer as a base. There is no one "fit's all" ingredient.

Some offer shearness with great hold, others offer not as good of stick and maybe silky. It really depends!

Jenn

Originally Posted by paintedlayde /img/forum/go_quote.gif It can be. I've seen some shades that are similar between Mac and minerals but you may have to check MACs ingredients as they may or may not use dyes or pigments in addition to the mica.
Jenn

Oh another point is that it would depend on what base you use too. Some other ingredients common to eye colors can vary widely on what they offer as a base. There is no one "fit's all" ingredient.

Some offer shearness with great hold, others offer not as good of stick and maybe silky. It really depends!

Jenn

OoOoO, I love you so much! Thank you, now I'm even more convince to just buy my own eyeshadow kit. I love the idea of creating any kind of shadow I want! I'm just so worried that the mica won't be pigmented enough to show up.

I use micas alone - from Coastalscents - as eyeshadows. I use a mixture of cream foundation and a very thin layer of vaseline (the least amount you can put) and then I apply the micas over that. My makeup lasts ALL day and will only come off when I wash it off.

I also use the UDPP and the makeup lasts just as long. I did notice that when I use the Vaseline, the colors are even more intense. Just a personal observation. I like both looks the same and apply my makeup with either base. Just as everyone else mentioned, you NEED to use a base or the micas won't stick. However, I noticed that most of my mineral eyeshadows (formulated and purchased as "eyeshadow") won't stick either without a base (or will very faintly).

Have you tried the micas wet yet? I haven't because I find that I like the look I get using the UDPP or Vaseline. But, I will try them that way now that curiosity has gotten the best of me!

Hope this was helpful for you.

CooCoo

I quite often use straight micas as eye shadow but they will not stick on their own. They have to be applied over a stick base (something like a mac shadestick), or with a damp brush.

Well, I know that they won't stick, but how is the color payoff? Is it just sheer with a hint of color? Or is it like pigment? Sorry for bothering everyone. = (

If you apply them damp then the colour is great. I find them a bit sheer when just applied with a dry brush.

Latest posts

Back