Acne... related to hormones? Help!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
smile.gif

My skin has gone crazy for the past 3 months now! I've always had acne but never like this. I'm 31 yrs old and for the past 3 months I have been getting these cyst-like huge painful acne bumps specially on my cheek and temple areas.

Could this be hormone related? I'm not on the pill and I don't want to take anything with hormones in it.

Is there anything natural that can regulate hormones?

Or has anyone had this type of acne and used a product to help?

I've tried everything latley! My last purchase was neutronegna's acne 3 piece kit, and face mask and it did abso. nothing for me.

I really need help from someone who has had this type of acne before. please!!!

Thanks all in advance
smile.gif

The problem could be related to hormones but I don't recommend taking medication at this stage until you're absolutely sure that it's an internal problem. You might want to watch your diet, have you added anything oily or something like that to your diet recently? Have you started putting on a lot of make-up or any cream, lotion for the treatment of dry or oily skin? Almond oil is good for the skin and so are omega 3 fatty acids. Try to eat fish regularly and also try flax seed oil. Hope this helps!

Could be hormones, but your best bet would be to see a Dermatologist and see what they recommend.

there was a very interesting thread started yesterday about skin inflammation and how to reduce it with fish oils. i know it may be a long shot, but i found the information very helpful because i suffer from acne and occasionally develope cysts, also. i hope this helps!

https://forum.makeuptalk.com/f12...ily-72816.html

Most acne really starts with hormones anyway, but especially in your mid-twenties, 30's and beyond, it IS related to hormones, basically in all cases. If it started as a teenager, it is most likely hormones, too. But definitely in later years. A lot of women find birth control effective, but if you don't want to take anything with hormones in it, you will probably need to go for the more powerful stuff in the end. If you have had it all your life, you need to see a derm. He or she will most likely put you on topical medications and/or oral antibitoics, ranging from a basic tetracycline, to something like Accutane. Good luck with your struggle, I am acne prone as well, since I was a teen -- it's a pain in the ass!

after reading the thead i linked to this one i've really changed the way i look at acne and blemishes. anyone suffering from acne should at least give it a quick read. it may change the way you approach the situation all together. just a suggestion.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Yes, I think I need to see a dermatologist. It's been years since I've gone and I just needed a push

And yes, acne is a pain in the a$$! lol

I haven't changed anything with my skin routine, I don't eat much junk food and oils and such.

Thanks all again
smile.gif

I believe that it is not your hormones's imbalance, its your face being sensitive to male hormones. Some people with imbalance hormones do not have acne at all. I used to have serious ance problem, but now with AHA lotion/Differin/Benzyol peroxide, I'm alright.

Tried taking birth control pills before, it did work , for about 4 monthes, then acne comes back. My friend who is on the treatment as well took the pill for about an year, and her period never come again.

I eat a lot of melons though, watermelons and bittermelons lol

Avoid spicy stuff helps as well.

if it's hormones, go see an endocrinologist, as it is their job. it can be related to hormones, it's known pregnant woman can have acne during their pregnancy because of that. in my case my doc told me i was eating too much sweet and fats, leading to too much hormones produced, leading to more acne, oily face&hair and painful, heavy periods.

she has told me to take evening primerose and borrachio oils as supplements. they're great. i also took a few meds (a pill and a gel) for a few months.

Originally Posted by Labrat81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't want people to think that taking fish oil will cure their acne. When my acne was the most severe it's ever been it didn't do much, and I ended up on Accutane (mine was cystic and beginning to scar).....there are many other factors that go into someone developing acne......but to someone who usually doesn't get inflammatory acne, then gets a big nasty breakout of papules and pustules after taking something that contains a whole bunch of something that is pro-inflammatory, it can help.....but there are a zillion reasons why we get acne in the first place.....
For instance, making sure you get enough omega-3 fatty acids in your diet isn't going to do much if you eat a whole bunch of sugar everyday. Since that can really mess with your hormones and make skin cells misbehave.....

Diet plays a huge role in acne, but it's way more complex than "eating junk food causes acne".....it doesn't....your genes do.... and since we all have different genes.....we all have different reactions to the food we eat, so no one can say with certianty "X type of food causes acne." What does in some, might not in others....

However....if you are acne prone, it's not a bad idea to take fish oil. Make sure you eat enough fat (the healthy kind) and drink pleanty of water.....since these help your skin's barrier...plus acne topicals can be drying. Taking something like fish oil will help reduce inflammation, which can only help if you are prone to inflammatory acne.

I'd see a dermatologist. You might want to try out some topicals first (topical retinoids are great if you know how to use them).....

i hear you labrat. i didn't mean that we should all run out and start taking fish oil, but that when we look at acne we should address the inflammation issue and some of the possible causes not related to hormones per se'. i think it helped me understand a bit more.

when i was in my late 20's i would get the deep cystic acne along my jawline and even near my earlobes...i went to the dermatologist, and he told me that type of inflamed cyst and the location along my jaw indicated it was hormone-driven. he gave me some differin gel to use, which i did, and i kept getting the red painful bumps. my gynecologist was actually the one i next talked to about it, and he put me on LoEstrin and they all cleared up. i did stay on those for a year, and when i finally stopped taking them the bumps just never came back....i know you said you dont want to take anything to do with hormones, but for me that was after i had used every drugstore product out there diligently and followed derm. advice exactly, the only thing that worked for me was the pill

Back